Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V! Don't Get Excited, Man.
Tongue 
V! Don't Get Excited, Man.
This isn't what you think.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/uranus-i...-diamonds/

Quote:Uranus is probably full of giant diamonds

Quote:When subjected to the pressures (and temperatures) of life on other planets, even familiar substances can get pretty alien. Case in point: the diamond rains of the ice giants. Scientists have long thought that massive planets like Neptune and Uranus—which contain relatively tiny rocky cores covered with a mantle of slurried water, ammonia, and methane ices and surrounded by a thick atmosphere—are subject to rain made of literal diamonds. Now researchers have synthesized the process in a lab, showing how such conditions might occur.

Cool
RE: V! Don't Get Excited, Man.
What's a "literal" diamond?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Get back to me when it starts raining sapphires.

A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but tactical thermonuclear weaponry is a girl's best friend.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 24, 2017 at 5:11 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: What's a "literal" diamond?

The converse of a metaphorical diamond.  duh.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 24, 2017 at 5:11 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: What's a "literal" diamond?

It's that gem in the crowd, that when you say, "Shit!", squats and groans.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
In Clarke's book 2010, he had a mountain sized diamond on Europa, liberated when Jupiter imploded and turned on.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it.