Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global warming. Man-made or not?
Global warming. Man-made or not?
Whilst it is true that humans are dumping huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere it is also true that CO2 is not a particularly good greenhouse gas.

Other factors must also be considered such as the Earth rotation about its axis, sun spots, variations in the solar winds which affect cloud formation on the Earth thus affecting the amount of sunlight actually reaching the planet.

If rising CO2 is responsible for a warming of our climate why do the ice sheet records show just the opposite?

I must admit that I am a bit out of date regarding the current scientific thinking on this but it always amuses me the way some people follow this theory with almost religious fervour and those who dare to descent are treated like holocaust deniers.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Global warming. Man-made or not?
It seems to be a combination of factors. The earth goes through cycles which is obvious from the comparison of many records especially ice-core data which allows an extrapolation back approximately 600,000 years. However, our contribution has made the warming trend worse than it possibly would be on it's own. So when people ask, "are we solely to blame?" and the answer is "no", many feel that gives them immunity from any type of responsibility - it doesn't. People look for the "is it our fault or not - yes or no" dichotomy and it isn't that simplistic.
I think the discussion over whose fault it is is a purely academic one. The known facts are:

1) We do damage the atmosphere, even if turns out to be an insignificant amount.
2) Damaging the atmosphere isn't helping anybody.
3) We can work to reduce the damage we are doing.

Even if we aren't the main cause of global warming, it still affects us, and we should be doing everything we can to thwart it. Sitting around arguing about whether it is our fault or not is ridiculous. The Earth isn't blaming anyone, this isn't a court case. If we can do something about it, lets do it.
(August 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I think the discussion over whose fault it is is a purely academic one. The known facts are:

1) We do damage the atmosphere, even if turns out to be an insignificant amount.
2) Damaging the atmosphere isn't helping anybody.
3) We can work to reduce the damage we are doing.

Even if we aren't the main cause of global warming, it still affects us, and we should be doing everything we can to thwart it. Sitting around arguing about whether it is our fault or not is ridiculous. The Earth isn't blaming anyone, this isn't a court case. If we can do something about it, lets do it.

Good insight!

What irks me are the industries cashing in on getting everybody to go "Green". Rolleyes

No, I don't think we should just trash our planet but there's a thing called "wear and tear". The earth is ultimately going to deteriorate if not undergo some drastic changes with or without us so STOP cashing in on making people feel like they have to buy every FAKE "green" product on the market.
The main problem is human overpopulation, a secondry problem is co2, we have the technology for battery electric cars and solar power but greed will make sure it will never happen.
Atheist = Realist
Theist = Arealist
As George Carlin says...we're not killing the planet. The planet isn't going anywhere. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are f**ed!
A must see for anyone really interested:

[youtube]52KLGqDSAjo[/youtube]

Is there a way to embed youtube vids on this forum by the way?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Surround the video Id with [youtube] tags. I edited it into your post for you.
Thank you.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great blog post on the history of global warming science. Jehanne 0 600 December 17, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A side-effect of global warming. Jehanne 16 2632 June 4, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How are drugs made? Heat 7 1348 October 25, 2015 at 9:54 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Global ocean discovered on Saturn moon Cyberman 24 5200 September 17, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Global Warming: Long term observations yield unsurprising results popeyespappy 55 9467 March 14, 2015 at 7:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Effective Field Theory Made Simple little_monkey 0 761 June 3, 2014 at 8:00 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  John Oliver - Global Warming Video Minimalist 36 7764 May 30, 2014 at 5:18 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Quantum Field Theory Made Easy little_monkey 10 3945 May 13, 2014 at 8:21 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Global temperatures since 1950 pocaracas 20 3711 February 21, 2014 at 5:17 am
Last Post: Sejanus
  Planet Made of Diamond? thesummerqueen 6 3747 October 12, 2012 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Cyberman