Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 6:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist activism of 2006 compared to today
Atheist activism of 2006 compared to today
I was very involved online with confronting theists on the internet about 10 years ago. Up until a few years ago I was trying to find Freethinking groups in my area but now I don't really have a great pull to get involved or put a label on myself. I've read that around 2006 the new Atheist movement was at a peak but it's kind of died out in recent years. If this is true, why do you all think this is the case?
RE: Atheist activism of 2006 compared to today
(September 1, 2017 at 1:22 pm)Bahana Wrote: I was very involved online with confronting theists on the internet about 10 years ago. Up until a few years ago I was trying to find Freethinking groups in my area but now I don't really have a great pull to get involved or put a label on myself. I've read that around 2006 the new Atheist movement was at a peak but it's kind of died out in recent years. If this is true, why do you all think this is the case?

Oh no, it is most certainly still alive.

I think however like the rest of media, and social media, you are seeing more competition so some of the old haunts you went to don't have as much traffic. Places like FaceBook and Twitter and Snapchat are were even those groups are going to now. 

American Atheists is still alive and kicking. Atheist Alliance is still Around. Freedom From Religion Foundation. Richard Dawkins still maintains his website. 

You can find tons of atheist pages on Facebook and Twitter. As far as local meetups you can do a google search of your local and that should bring something up. But no, atheists still maintain a big and growing voice. 

Atheists have not died down it is just that the social media platforms have shifted.
Still eating babies and enjoying it as much as I did in 2006 !!

My tastes are more refined, with experience I suppose. And baptized Christian babies are the BEST. 2006 I'd eat any of 'em. Hell, even LDS . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The "nones" seem to be growing in percentage every year so maybe it's not seen to be as controversial as it used to be. http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/ameri...landscape/
Gutfeld on Fox is somewhat open about his agnosticism. And that might be for public consumption or a test balloon, he might be the real deal off camera.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 1, 2017 at 1:22 pm)Bahana Wrote: I was very involved online with confronting theists on the internet about 10 years ago. Up until a few years ago I was trying to find Freethinking groups in my area but now I don't really have a great pull to get involved or put a label on myself. I've read that around 2006 the new Atheist movement was at a peak but it's kind of died out in recent years. If this is true, why do you all think this is the case?

I do have to say having been online almost on a daily basis since 2001 to now, there is a huge difference between our collective voice back then, which was tiny back then and more vilified back then than it is now. But we still have a long way to go. The atheist voice is far bigger now.

Because those who were promoting atheism eventually realized just how fucking futile trying to change theists's minds is.
It's probably due to a number of things:

Like Brian said, Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks provide a platform for like-minded people, so dedicated sites/forums (which take time/money in maintenance and security) are dwindling.

Like Hammy said, most of the time confrontations with theists merely ends with bad feelings on both sides and a lack of anything actually getting done, which is frustrating.

I do think that, culturally in the US at least, it's far less taboo than it used to be. Yeah, it's still forbidden and exotic in the Bible Belt, but no one in, say, New England really gives a shit. Nor most of the East Coast until you get to maybe one of the Virginas. Nor the West Coast. Even in the Rockies there's enough of a hippie/hipster blend in places like Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho where it's uncommon but not rare. The nones are rising.

For me, I was gung-ho about my atheism when I deconverted 16 years ago. But now, as a guy in his late 30s, I'm more apathetic than anything else. I've never really been one for causes, I'm certainly not the kind of person that needs to be a part of a fellowship of any sort. Yeah, sometimes I spar with theists on here, but I'm far more active in the non-religious sections of the forum. There's only so many rounds of the same handful of arguments I can take before I get bored.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(September 1, 2017 at 4:16 pm)Hammy Wrote:

Because those who were promoting atheism eventually realized just how fucking futile trying to change theists's minds is.

I wouldn't say that. This board is full of former believers, including me. It took someone in my past to start me questioning. If you want to say many are too far gone, especially on the far right, that would be a better argument. But the "nones" while not all atheists, the number of people not associating with a particular church is growing.
Ah 2006. When The God Delusion was really new and science was the magic inspirational antidote against evil religion. Those were the days. I still live in 2006 in some ways.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Activism: Organizing Against A.G.s and County Clerks That Disobey SCOTUS Marriage... Secular Elf 0 880 June 29, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Secular Elf
  What is the point of Atheist Activism? starbucks 29 8841 June 12, 2010 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused