Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened to Media?
What happened to Media?
In my opinon media these days (tv, film etc.) is of noticeably poorer quality than it was in the past.

Look at basic cable. The more "educational" channels (History Channel, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel) rarely feature programs on World War II, The Rainforest/Africa or documentaries on lost civilizations.

These days its mostly shows on pawn shops, backwoods survival and the travails of peoples pets, quite often for hours at a time.

Look at Hollywood. Hollywood lost it's morals some time ago, but at least it's intellect,creativity and highmindedness wasn't totally squelched like it is today.

Today there are hardly any original franchises, and instead almost a desperate milking of past franchises and past Hollywood stars, whose youth and novelty has long since dissipated.

Are there any franchises equivaletn to Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Back to the Future on the horizon any time soon? Can comedy movies without crass vulgarity still be made.?

While Hollywood wasn't exactly moral 30 years ago, it's morals seem to have become more coarsened and base.

I recently watched the first two Indiana Jones movies, made in '81 and '84. Extra marital sex was discussed, and presented is an acceptable, normal thing to do, but it seemed to treat it as a meaningful encounter. In the first movie Indy's former GF slaps him across the face and says what a jerk he was for seducing her some years earlier (before she goes back to being his gf.)

While premarital sex was OK'd 20-30 years ago by Hollywood, it also recognized it as a meaningful affair and not just an activity like the hook up culture of today would present it.

If Indiana Jones were made today, it's likely Indy's old flame would talk casually about how she enjoyed their last hook up and if he'd like to go back in the alley or public restroom to do it again (pardon my French.)

I suppose an argument is that there are more choices these days in terms of media consumption and much of the talent is migrating to Netflix/ extend cable. That may be the case and many of the new successful shows (Breaking Bad, the Americans, Game of Thrones) I think are quite good.

I think they are quality shows and enjoy them at some level but think tehy are morally hollow.

I don't think you need to be preachy, or a have a "goody two shoes" as the main cast of good guys. There is moral ambiguity in everyone. I just think the above mentioned shows seem to have nihilism and indifferentism as the driving forces behind them and don't really ever address morality, the "right thing" or even whetehr such things are important.

While they are all high quality they seem to celebrate/glorify evil a tiny bit and fear this is a trend.

My main suspicion is the reason for this is that God and religious belief in general have suffered a massive decline over the past ten years. Even many irreligious people a decade or two ago woudl claim that religion is a good thing basically and Christianity informs there world view.

This seems to be a less and less common viewpoint with each passing year.

If one isn't as connected to God, I have heard one's intellect becomes more clouded and confused. Maybe this is the reason so much junky fast food equivalent and nihilistic television is so popular. Maybe that is why there is little to no inspiration for new ideas.

Or maybe in it's 80 some years of existence, Hollywood and television are almost fresh out of ideas and can only really rehash what already has been done. Any thoughts?
RE: What happened to Media?
The Weather Channel had a good gem prospecting show, but...well...The Weather Channel. Less time for weather reports and such. A few years ago, my cable company carried Weatherscan, which was its 24 hour, automated weather service, and I loved it. 

I agree that some of these channels that are named with the implication of certain programming carry less and less of said programming.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
dp...
I agree with the bit about so called reality shows, that's something that people want to watch but I have no idea why.

I get angry at a few of my younger friends in work when I catch them watching this fake reality tv shit, after I've told them about genuine, interesting Louis Theroux documentaries they can watch and they found those boring, but they find pawn stars interesting, or the one where they tow cars and all the confrontational events seem set up to me.

Also with sitcoms, I think 90s sitcoms, Friends, Seinfeld, father Ted, Peep Show, The office, they're all better than anything modern sitcoms have to offer.

I think I remember an interview with one of the actors from Seinfeld and he said that he doesn't think Seinfeld would get played today because Seinfeld had to be given time to grow to get good, and these days it's too competitive they cancel shows that aren't an instant hit.  

Films aren't so bad but I quite like modern horror films.  I liked the Saw franchise, the Annabelle franchise and the paranormal activity franchise.  It's true that they milk the cash cow until it's dead but that's nothing new.

Also morality has nothing to do with it, you bring up Indiana Jones but what about James Bond, he had sex with a different woman in every film and those films were around in the 70s.  Followed by murdering people and telling a horrible joke after it.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Movies and TV as medium have long since jumped the shark and are just producing CGId to death throwaway filler/ as cheap as possible breaks between advertisement. Large budget Series is where the creativity, talent and story telling is today.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It is the best and worst of times for TV and cinema.

There are the best TV shows ever, Game of Thrones, The walking dead etc but you also get shit like the apprentice, X factor and myriad "reality"shws like the only way is Essex or made in Chelsea.
In Cinema we have interesting films with better special effects. But we get yet another "the hangover" or some crap designed to appeal to sub human morons.

But the thing that grinds my gears is when films get basic science wrong al al the Luc Bessan film Lucy.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

@downbeatplumb

Don't think of GoT, Breaking Bad etc. as TV shows. That name is just a historical vestige.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(September 3, 2017 at 5:13 am)Alex K Wrote: @downbeatplumb

Don't think of GoT, Breaking Bad etc. as TV shows. That name is just a historical vestige.

But I watch them on TV!

(September 3, 2017 at 5:17 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(September 3, 2017 at 5:13 am)Alex K Wrote: @downbeatplumb

But I watch them on TV!

You're old Big Grin

(September 3, 2017 at 5:18 am)Alex K Wrote:
(September 3, 2017 at 5:17 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: But I watch them on TV!

You're old Big Grin

Granted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silly Media Quotes Foxaèr 5 509 July 25, 2023 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Funniest Portrayals of Religious Figures in the Media My imaginary friend is GOD 0 462 February 26, 2014 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD