Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I guess I'm an atheist
I guess I'm an atheist
I regarded myself as an agnostic neutralist, or apatheist, or whatever, because I neither believe there is a god, or believe there is no god. I avoid belief altogether.

But apparently, the definition of atheist is skewed, so that my refusal to hold a belief in a god, automatically makes me an atheist, regardless that I also don't accept the claim of no god.

So, hi guys. I'm one of you, I guess. Except I use the correct Null Hypothesis of "Humans do not have gnosis" instead of "There is no god"
RE: I guess I'm an atheist
Welcome. You can steal my apathy but you can't steal my cynicism! Tongue
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
I'll share my cynicism.

I have plenty.
hello!
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Welcome. Have you ever took a thorough look at nihilism? Maybe that would clear up some of the perception stuff for you, or at least get you thinking about how humans lack the perception to know anything about "god" (whatever that constitutes). The reason why I say there is no god, is because humans could never prove it. Many claim there is one, but then what evidence & knowledge does that claim stem from? Too many people seem to make up something, and then try to find reasons why. Rather than saying "I don't know", I can say "we lack any objective perception"; this means that there is no objective knowledge or morality. We simply want to believe that there is something outside of the universe/materialism without any prior knowledge or proof. To say "I don't know if there is a god" is to say that "I possibly don't know if we could ever not know". You'll never disprove god, because you can't disprove fairy tales. To say that there is the possibility of a god requires faith, because you're having faith that the concept of god can indeed be true in some sense. Well, where did the observation of god(s) come from if there is no proof? Sounds to me like someone made it up, and since it's forged by pure faith then you shouldn't worry about it. In conclusion, I'd say true nihilism is much more healthy than apatheism. However, that's just me. Some people say "there is probably no god", well if there is some sort of creator how the hell would humans get it right? That creator is going to be something different than any human anticipated since no human has the objective knowledge to know what god (again, whatever that constitutes) is actually like. So say "there is no god" is to say "there are no magical dragons"; it is that simple.

Anyhow, it's good to see you here.
Welcome, I guess. Big Grin
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(October 24, 2010 at 2:57 am)Minimalist Wrote: I'll share my cynicism.

I have plenty.

:ROFLOL:

I was knee deep in moderating posts.. and there you go making me spew an energy drink out of my nose.. thanks !
Big Grin

Oh and welcome Volt
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Quote:and there you go making me spew an energy drink out of my nose.. thanks !

Ah, one of these....

[Image: lol_spitcoffee.gif]

Tough on monitors and keyboards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello again i guess? SlowCalculations 8 939 May 31, 2019 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Alan V
  My Introduction, I guess NickPercent 18 3517 January 27, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Antares
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3888 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  Yeah, I'm a Pratchett nut, how'd you guess? GUBU 16 2987 September 13, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  So I guess I'm an Atheist? Shinagami 83 10363 August 30, 2015 at 8:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  I guess I should introduce myself cocunningham 26 3865 May 31, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Secular Elf
  I guess I'm agnostic? gubeym 19 3750 May 27, 2015 at 1:11 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  I guess this is where I start? Outtahere 43 7255 February 15, 2015 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  I'm back, I guess. Endo 17 3100 July 25, 2014 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  I guess this is where I tell you about myself... May.Loves 8 2131 March 18, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Cyberman