Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A correction regarding my views on survivors guilt
A correction regarding my views on survivors guilt
I've remarked here in posts a few times the 'cure' for survivors guilt is time, and lots of it. I've probably mentioned 'toughing it out' too.

That is categorically wrong and I regret posting my uninformed opinions on the matter.

I'd urge anyone with such feelings to seek out help ASAP.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: A correction regarding my views on survivors guilt
I'd imagine that the cure is different for each survivor ... but seeking help can't hurt.

Vorls, are you OK?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Glad you are still here!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I can tell you having gone through all my mom's health problems, and watch her die, survivor's guilt isn't just watching a violent death like war or a car accident. Even before she was diagnosed with what lead to her last surgery, with her mobility problems in her old age, you live in fear of something happening and getting a phone call. You second guess yourself constantly as to when to step in and when to let her make her own decisions. You blame yourself even when it isn't your fault, even when you know they made their own decisions.

You never get over it, you only cope, especially with death. It doesn't matter how a loved one dies. There is no such thing as closure or "get over it'. There is only management and coping. The best you can do after losing a loved one, no matter how they die, the best you can do is to seek support and the management can become more manageable over time, but loss of a loved one never goes away.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who will be closest regarding what life James Webb finds. highdimensionman 35 3092 May 24, 2022 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I need help on info regarding a rare blood disease yasalam 30 4658 February 1, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy