Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HEY ROCKY , I touched a Squirrel!
HEY ROCKY , I touched a Squirrel!
Read the title in your head as Bullwinkle.

But in all seriousness, I mentioned in another thread that I was at a barbecue. What I did not know before arriving was that my friend's discovered a baby squirrel what had fallen out of the nest, or been bullied by its siblings or rejected by the mother. Anywho they spotted it when it it had no fur and barely had it's eyes open. Runts in nature often get the short end of the stick.

But, lucky for that squirrel they spotted it, brought it in, and nursed it back to health. Cute little thing and was not afraid of any of us. It loved the attention and held on to the tiny feeding tube they put baby formula in to feed it. Kept it in a cat carrier.

But of course, even with well intended liberals, my friends wife had to bring God into it.

NO LADY, YOU DID THAT, your evolutionary empathy did that, nobody upstairs was pulling your strings.

The baby squirrel also was not manipulated by a sky puppeteer either.

That squirrel was no different than a feral cat. Reach it when its new, it is more likely to see you as a resource. But if it has no contact with you, it wont adapt to you. Just like many cats and dogs whom do have owners, will see the owner as family but strangers as something to fear.

And here is the other asinine fucked up logic they ignore. 

Animals in regards to the flood story. As the mythology goes, 2 of every kind. Ok but what about the rest of the animals? That would mean they died along with humans. Drowning is a very painful way to die, not always fast either. If one wants to argue humans deserved it, while still a horrible argument, at least with adults, you have a slightly better argument, not a good one, but slightly better, because adults have higher intellect. But animals? 

I know this family, I think they are nice people, but so what, the logic still not is there. They love animals too, they hate animal cruelty. 

And she had the same look of fictional awe on her face when handling it as she did talking about God. It never occurs to theists that atheist can see the awesomeness in nature, without chalking it up to comic book super heros. 

As an aside though, I did worry about the Squirrel's potential diseases. Right now it is not big enough if it tried to bite you to break your skin. They were aware of that too, and that is also a good thing. My friend's idea is to eventually move the cat carrier outside and let the squirrel see the carrier as comfort, but be able to explore and hopefully go back to being independent.

They do want to get it vaccines but not sure they can do that considering it is illegal to keep them as pets.

Point is, I love this family, they are great people, well intended, but still superstitious. You don't need sky heros or magic to explain why good or bad happen.

As an aside, having this experience was amazing, but also bittersweet, it is something I cant share with my mother. I know if she were alive it would have put a huge smile on her face.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey Nudger!!!! arewethereyet 2 313 January 23, 2022 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Hey everyone... Frank Apisa 13 928 June 28, 2021 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
Music Hey guys what type of music do you like? I believe in Harry Potter 35 3142 November 16, 2019 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Homecoming and a squirrel Joods 23 1905 October 22, 2017 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Hey. Anybody wants to Skype and talk mindlessly about something? ErGingerbreadMandude 69 11906 February 24, 2017 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Joods
Big Grin Hey more GREAT news! Aractus 15 3566 June 2, 2016 at 5:13 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey you Foxaèr 7 603 May 31, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
Information Hey Aractus 15 1386 December 31, 2015 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Hey! Atheists, Please Explain Neo-Scholastic 24 3839 August 6, 2015 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Hey, Tibs has done 27 laps around the Sun, Bravo! LastPoet 15 2248 April 29, 2015 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda