Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey! Atheists, Please Explain
Hey! Atheists, Please Explain
Okay now that I got your attention...for your own sake please do not start threads to solicit the opinions of resident theists to explain certain dogmas or defend biblical paradoxes. We will respond, no doubt, but if you want a real answer about what most Christians believe, AF isn't really the right venue.

As Minimalist once observed, AF has a pretty shitty collection of theists. I actually agree in the sense that myself, Drich, Godschild, Rondee, professor, etc. are not truly representative of the larger Christian community. The very fact that we are on AF at all shows that we are a rather eclectic bunch, especially those of us that are particularly active.

By all means, point out all the flaws of religious ideas to each other to your hearts content. We Christians are happy to participate with our objections. No need to intentionally bait us, we're already walking into the buzz-saws voluntarily.

That's all I had to say.
RE: Hey! Atheists, Please Explain
Why in Wooters' name do you even care what kinds of threads people want to start? If you don't want to get involved with a thread, don't; if you want to correct someone, be it an atheist, fellow Christian, etc., do it, but telling people what they can do here is more than presumptuous.

Also, thank goodness the members you listed aren't truly representative; I find most of you vile and all of you delusional.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(August 5, 2015 at 8:49 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Okay now that I got your attention...for your own sake please do not start threads to solicit the opinions of resident theists to explain certain dogmas or defend biblical paradoxes. We will respond, no doubt, but if you want a real answer about what most Christians believe, AF isn't really the right venue.

As Minimalist once observed, AF has a pretty shitty collection of theists. I actually agree in the sense that myself, Drich, Godschild, Rondee, professor, etc. are not truly representative of the larger Christian community. The very fact that we are on AF at all shows that we are a rather eclectic bunch, especially those of us that are particularly active.

By all means, point out all the flaws of religious ideas to each other to your hearts content. We Christians are happy to participate with our objections. No need to intentionally bait us, we're already walking into the buzz-saws voluntarily.

That's all I had to say.

Unfortunately most Christian forums won't even allow you to post questions like that. The second they here atheist they ban your ass.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(August 5, 2015 at 8:49 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Okay now that I got your attention...for your own sake please do not start threads to solicit the opinions of resident theists to explain certain dogmas or defend biblical paradoxes. We will respond, no doubt, but if you want a real answer about what most Christians believe, AF isn't really the right venue.

As Minimalist once observed, AF has a pretty shitty collection of theists. I actually agree in the sense that myself, Drich, Godschild, Rondee, professor, etc. are not truly representative of the larger Christian community. The very fact that we are on AF at all  shows that we are a rather eclectic bunch, especially those of us that are particularly active.

That's all I had to say.

You have a point.  And I agree that generally our theists here are not (thankfully) representative of your average theist.  The answer in my case is threefold:  1) if you asked such questions on a theist forum particularly a Christian or Islamic one, you'd be banned; 2) bad on my part I admit, but there's a certain fun in poking an ant's nest and most of the theists here about as bright as ants; 3) finally, we really do get some answers from more reasonable theists.  And though they may not endure us all that long usually have a few reasonable theists around.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
We try to be inclusive here, so I bite my tongue when I see such threads. Really, though, the only reason to ask Christians a question on an atheist forum is to bait them into a debate on your home turf.

It's pretty silly, really.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 5, 2015 at 10:07 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Really, though, the only reason to ask Christians a question on an atheist forum is to bait them into a debate on your home turf.

Is it really so silly, though, considering that debate cannot be found in any form whatsoever for an atheist on a theistic forum?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:As Minimalist once observed, AF has a pretty shitty collection of theists.

In truth, there is no such thing as a non-shitty collection of theists.
(August 5, 2015 at 10:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:As Minimalist once observed, AF has a pretty shitty collection of theists.

In truth, there is no such thing as a non-shitty collection of theists.

But there are degrees. . .
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 5, 2015 at 8:49 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Okay now that I got your attention...

That's all I had to say.

And very well said it was, too.  The only point of disagreement is that I wouldn't want to hear from run-of-the-mill simple dogmatists.  It is the more eclectic, self-sorted sort I wish to hear from but only as they find interest in a topic, same as me.  (In the past when I've particularly wanted your input, I've pm'd you and the others.  I do however try only to do this when I think the topic may be of interest to you as well .. and I certainly don't feel entitled to your input either.)
(August 5, 2015 at 10:11 pm)Kitan Wrote:
(August 5, 2015 at 10:07 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Really, though, the only reason to ask Christians a question on an atheist forum is to bait them into a debate on your home turf.

Is it really so silly, though, considering that debate cannot be found in any form whatsoever for an atheist on a theistic forum?

Just because you haven't yet seen such a theist forum does prove that He, oops I mean, it doesn't exist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey Nudger!!!! arewethereyet 2 311 January 23, 2022 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Hey everyone... Frank Apisa 13 920 June 28, 2021 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Podcast recommendations please... arewethereyet 1 204 September 1, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
Music Hey guys what type of music do you like? I believe in Harry Potter 35 3135 November 16, 2019 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Alex K
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1138 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 2943 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can Someone Explain This To Me? Jade-Green Stone 16 1484 November 28, 2018 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2239 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Gentlebeings, a salute, please. Gawdzilla Sama 13 1223 July 31, 2018 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Please help me understand this Indian "law" Alexmahone 18 2391 July 25, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy