Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus Camp
Jesus Camp
Hey peoplez! I've been gone for a while but I'm back now n.n

Anywho!

I'm watching Jesus Camp right now. I read the back and it seemed funny so I nabbed it from the video store.

Anyone seen it? Have opinions? Any input is fine :]

Also, appologies if I've posted in the wrong thread.
Saerules Wrote:The air, tis wonderful!

Saerules Wrote:No, don't even ask what I just laughed at. I will not tell you what I just laughed at! You may think I'm going to tell you what I just laughed at, but I'm not!
xD
RE: Jesus Camp
Yay! The forum kitteh is back!!! Wink

Jesus Camp is a funny movie, right up until the point when you realize these people are brainwashing kids.
Keehee!!! Thankies!!! Big Grin

And It's hilarious so far! The brainwashing bit sucks. But it's bringing back a lot of childhood memories of camp and sunday school.

Those kids'll break if beat them at their game. Just like I did. lol
Aaaaaaand she's talking about Harry Potter. Wow. It's hilarious how worked up she gets over this. I can't believe my mom still believes this stuff.

Oh My Science! She wants the children to have a wet t-shirt contest Big Grin

WOW... She needs to be locked up.

Saerules Wrote:No, don't even ask what I just laughed at. I will not tell you what I just laughed at! You may think I'm going to tell you what I just laughed at, but I'm not!
xD
(October 26, 2010 at 10:08 am)KawaiiKoneko Wrote: Hey peoplez! I've been gone for a while but I'm back now n.n

Anywho!

I'm watching Jesus Camp right now. I read the back and it seemed funny so I nabbed it from the video store.

Anyone seen it? Have opinions? Any input is fine :]

I saw it about a six months ago. I'm not sure if it was funny or scary. Watching the idiots babble "in tongues" was hilarious. But seeing what they did to the kids (making them cry and fall to the floor in tears) was pretty awful. They have these kids so screwed up it's sad. I especially despised a scene where one of the adults talks to the kids about abortion. Of course, he went on about how abortion is horrible and how it kills babies. But I was livid when he showed plastic models to the kids to demonstrate what an unborn baby looks like. These models all looked like a fully developed baby, only in smaller sizes. He showed the kids a model of a supposedly 7-week old fetus and the thing looked like a fully formed baby, only about four inches long. This just pissed me off. A 7-week old fetus looks more like a tadpole than a human being! But, of course, they can't show that to the kids because it doesn't have the same affect. So, naturally, they lie to the kiddies!

There was also a scene where a 9 year old girl is in a bowling alley and she approaches a lady sitting at a table. The little girl offers the woman a pamphlet and tells her, "God told me to give you this." The lady smiles warmly and thanks the kid.

I wish that had been me that she approached! I would have immediately challenged her absurd statement that "God" spoke to her. I would have asked if she heard "God's" voice. I then would have asked if "God" appeared to her. When she answered no to both questions (which she would have to do unless she wants to lie), I would have then asked why she lied to me about "God" telling her to do something. Maybe this would help the kid learn something.

Another thing that irked me was a scene where a mother is home schooling her 11 or 12 year old son. (Of course they homeschool their kids. Can't have them going to a real school and learning about science!) Anyway, the mother asks the kid what he would think if he went to school and they told him that we all evolved from monkeys. The kid dutifully says, "I wouldn't like that." Gag. Another Creationist dumbass is born!

Overall, the thing is worth watching just to see how these loons teach their kids. But I found myself wanting to see the parents arrested for child abuse.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
You know what else is sick? The fact that I was taught to do all of the same things those homeschooled kids were taught.

I was so heavily indoctrinated that the same chills I would get and associate with "the Holy Spirit" I still get them. But now they're just empty. And it disgusts me that I still get them. Even though they aren't attached to anything.

I can't believe how bad these kids are. And it creeps me out that I was just as bad at one time....

I agree with you, Thor, on the girl going up to the stranger. And I wish that when I did stuff like that that people challenged me on it. We need more atheist that are willing to speak up when children try to be evangelist. Maybe the challenge of our questioning their beliefs might save them from a life of lies and ignorance. If not right away some day in their future where they stop and think "Hey, wait. This doesn't make any sense"

xD
(October 26, 2010 at 11:14 am)KawaiiKoneko Wrote: You know what else is sick? The fact that I was taught to do all of the same things those homeschooled kids were taught.

I wasn't as indoctrinated as they are, but it still bugs me to think that I was taught absolute nonsense as fact.

Quote:I was so heavily indoctrinated that the same chills I would get and associate with "the Holy Spirit" I still get them. But now they're just empty. And it disgusts me that I still get them. Even though they aren't attached to anything.

I'm glad to hear that you realize these "chills" are simply an emotional reaction to a stimulus. I've had many believers tell me about how they "experienced" or "felt" the "Holy Spirit" at some religious event. It's useless to try to explain to them that they simply were caught up in the emotion of the event and what they "experienced" was simply chemicals being released by the brain.

Quote:I can't believe how bad these kids are. And it creeps me out that I was just as bad at one time....

These kids are just responding to the indoctrination they've received. Kids of that age want their parents' approval. If the parents are religious whackos, their pre-teen kids will almost certainly be religious whackos. It's not the fault of the kids. I hope that when the kids get older they will realize that their beliefs have no foundation in reality and they'll question what they've been taught. But it's a difficult cycle to break.

Quote:I agree with you, Thor, on the girl going up to the stranger. And I wish that when I did stuff like that that people challenged me on it. We need more atheist that are willing to speak up when children try to be evangelist. Maybe the challenge of our questioning their beliefs might save them from a life of lies and ignorance. If not right away some day in their future where they stop and think "Hey, wait. This doesn't make any sense"

This is what I would hope to do by challenging the ridiculous claim that "God" told her to give you something. I'm sure you wouldn't break through to the kid at that moment, but you might at least plant a seed that could cause the kid to question what she is being taught at some point down the road.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(October 26, 2010 at 11:54 am)Thor Wrote:
Quote:I was so heavily indoctrinated that the same chills I would get and associate with "the Holy Spirit" I still get them. But now they're just empty. And it disgusts me that I still get them. Even though they aren't attached to anything.

I'm glad to hear that you realize these "chills" are simply an emotional reaction to a stimulus. I've had many believers tell me about how they "experienced" or "felt" the "Holy Spirit" at some religious event. It's useless to try to explain to them that they simply were caught up in the emotion of the event and what they "experienced" was simply chemicals being released by the brain.
Yes. Sometimes, I get that feeling when I hear the intro to "Whiter Shade of Pale." Is the Holy Spirit in Matthew Fisher's Hammond M-102 organ?

(October 26, 2010 at 11:54 am)Thor Wrote:
Quote:I agree with you, Thor, on the girl going up to the stranger. And I wish that when I did stuff like that that people challenged me on it. We need more atheist that are willing to speak up when children try to be evangelist. Maybe the challenge of our questioning their beliefs might save them from a life of lies and ignorance. If not right away some day in their future where they stop and think "Hey, wait. This doesn't make any sense"

This is what I would hope to do by challenging the ridiculous claim that "God" told her to give you something. I'm sure you wouldn't break through to the kid at that moment, but you might at least plant a seed that could cause the kid to question what she is being taught at some point down the road.
If memory serves, one of the kids admitted that he has moments of disbelief; that's definitely a sign that bodes pretty well.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
[Image: political-pictures-becky-fisher-word-christ.jpg]
okay, I just started watching it. I'm scared. I want my mommy.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Eep! nobody should watch that film, it is just horrible! If you want to watch a film on religion, watch "Saved!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7230 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  If you thought 'Jesus Camp' was bad...... Rob_W75 5 1457 July 28, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: pablo628
  Jesus camp documentary. First viewing. TubbyTubby 27 9452 July 22, 2014 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  This one time at church camp Belac Enrobso 5 1425 January 13, 2014 at 6:32 am
Last Post: là bạn điên
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7383 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist