Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird facts about Buddhism no one talks about!
Weird facts about Buddhism no one talks about!
I'm an ex Buddhist (Thereveda) and I never got my head around some of the inconsistencies that are in the religion. Here are a few interesting facts about Buddhism that no one really talks about and every Buddhist ignores:

1) Siddhartha Gautama could only become the Buddha because he accumulated good Karma from countless generations of reincarnated lives. If he's meant to have the highest good Karma out of everyone then why was he so unlucky that he died of mesenteric infarction at age 80? Whereas a lot of his disciples allegedly lived until 120 years?
2) Buddhist believe that upon death the mind (not soul as reincarnation by the soul is a Hindu concept) appears in another body. But does all my mind appear there or is it only a part of it (eg going from human to a flea)?
3) If I get reincarnated as a lion and kill other animals do I get bad Karma from killing them?
4) Every life form apparently has both good and bad Karma and they don't cancel each other out (eg if you have a heap of both good and bad Karma, you might win the lottery but then someone will come steal it all). But I've been told that if you are born with a limb missing for example it may be due to bad Karma from a past life. I don't get what the point of it is if I can't remember what I've done wrong and learn from it?
5) Buddha has amazing powers apparently. No one can clearly explain what his powers are. I thought he was like Professor X when I was little.

Hope the above was interesting. Let me know if you want to know about Buddhism.
RE: Weird facts about Buddhism no one talks about!
I saw in a youtube video that Buddhism has, in fact, several hells. Or perhaps hellish dimensions? Is thist true?
(November 24, 2017 at 8:10 am)curiosne Wrote: I'm an ex Buddhist (Thereveda) and I never got my head around some of the inconsistencies that are in the religion. Here are a few interesting facts about Buddhism that no one really talks about and every Buddhist ignores:

1) Siddhartha Gautama could only become the Buddha because he accumulated good Karma from countless generations of reincarnated lives. If he's meant to have the highest good Karma out of everyone then why was he so unlucky that he died of mesenteric infarction at age 80? Whereas a lot of his disciples allegedly lived until 120 years?
2) Buddhist believe that upon death the mind (not soul as reincarnation by the soul is a Hindu concept) appears in another body. But does all my mind appear there or is it only a part of it (eg going from human to a flea)?
3) If I get reincarnated as a lion and kill other animals do I get bad Karma from killing them?
4) Every life form apparently has both good and bad Karma and they don't cancel each other out (eg if you have a heap of both good and bad Karma, you might win the lottery but then someone will come steal it all). But I've been told that if you are born with a limb missing for example it may be due to bad Karma from a past life. I don't get what the point of it is if I can't remember what I've done wrong and learn from it?
5) Buddha has amazing powers apparently. No one can clearly explain what his powers are. I thought he was like Professor X when I was little.

X-Buddhist, glad to have one here.

There is some blind romance going on in the west with far too many people thinking Buddhism is superstition and mythology free, and no, it is not. It is just as chalk full of that stuff as any other religion. 

Even oldest writings of mythology regarding the first Buddha have him being born out of the SIDE of Queen Maya being told prior by the divine world that she would give birth to a boy who would bring wisdom to the world. 

And funny how just like Jews can be traced back to prior Canaanite polytheism, Buddhism as well was an attempt by the followers to keep the motifs of prior Hinduism and depending on sect, were either in India itself, or close proximity of it's neighbor Asia.

There is nothing original about ANY religion, the newer ones are merely a result of changing the details and marketing new characters. No different than how Coke and Pepsi compete.

Karma and reincarnation are part of Buddhism, but exist in Hindu mythology too. 

You also do not have to have direct connections in overlap. Paleontologists and archaeologists and historians who have a global understanding of world history show us that humans, have the same motifs. We can look at ancient Australia, as well as ancient China and ancient Africa, and see that humans came up with their own gap answer mythology for all sorts of things. Things like painting characters and deities in the stars, fear of commits, and weather, and spirits and after lifes. Buddhism was no different.
(November 24, 2017 at 8:25 am)Industrial Lad Wrote: I saw in a youtube video that Buddhism has, in fact, several hells. Or perhaps hellish dimensions? Is thist true?

From what I've been told here are the levels that are mentioned by Buddha:
1)  Seven dimensions of heaven above the human plane. The higher up the level you go here, the more content/blissful your existence. You cannot gain enlightenment (hence reach Nirvana) while existing in these dimensions as your worldly attachments are strong. 
2) Human Plane. At this level we are able to severe all worldly attachments (eg pleasure, love, etc) and gain enlightenment. 
3) Animal level. 
4) Ghostly realm (yes Buddhists believe being reincarnated as a ghost). This realm is meant to be horrific. 
5) Lowest level is Hell and unimaginable torment (I'm still scared when thinking about this even though I don't believe in this anymore).
(November 24, 2017 at 8:40 am)curiosne Wrote:
(November 24, 2017 at 8:25 am)Industrial Lad Wrote: I saw in a youtube video that Buddhism has, in fact, several hells. Or perhaps hellish dimensions? Is thist true?

1)  Seven dimensions of heaven above the human plane. The higher up the level you go here, the more content/blissful your existence. You cannot gain enlightenment (hence reach Nirvana) while existing in these dimensions as your worldly attachments are strong. 
2) Human Plane. At this level we are able to severe all worldly attachments (eg pleasure, love, etc) and gain enlightenment. 
3) Animal level. 
4) Ghostly realm (yes Buddhists believe being reincarnated as a ghost). This realm is meant to be horrific. 
5) Lowest level is Hell and unimaginable torment (I'm still scared when thinking about this even though I don't believe in this anymore).

That's interesting. For some time after becoming an Atheist (admittedly) I thought "What if I die and it's true?"At least as a nagging feeling. That stuff is designed that way. Nobody can die and come back and say "Nope it's all bullshit! It's just nothingness." I almost wish someone could.
(November 24, 2017 at 8:26 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 24, 2017 at 8:10 am)curiosne Wrote: I'm an ex Buddhist (Thereveda) and I never got my head around some of the inconsistencies that are in the religion. Here are a few interesting facts about Buddhism that no one really talks about and every Buddhist ignores:

X-Buddhist, glad to have one here.

There is some blind romance going on in the west with far too many people thinking Buddhism is superstition and mythology free, and no, it is not. It is just as chalk full of that stuff as any other religion. 

Even oldest writings of mythology regarding the first Buddha have him being born out of the SIDE of Queen Maya being told prior by the divine world that she would give birth to a boy who would bring wisdom to the world. 

And funny how just like Jews can be traced back to prior Canaanite polytheism, Buddhism as well was an attempt by the followers to keep the motifs of prior Hinduism and depending on sect, were either in India itself, or close proximity of it's neighbor Asia.

There is nothing original about ANY religion, the newer ones are merely a result of changing the details and marketing new characters. No different than how Coke and Pepsi compete.

You also do not have to have direct connections in overlap. Paleontologists and archaeologists and historians who have a global understanding of world history show us that humans, have the same motifs. We can look at ancient Australia, as well as ancient China and ancient Africa, and see that humans came up with their own gap answer mythology for all sorts of things. Things like painting characters and deities in the stars, fear of commits, and weather, and spirits and after lifes. Buddhism was no different.

I think the philosophical part of the religion is the draw card here and then all the westerners then choose to ignore the religious nonsense. I still adhere to some of the philosophy of Buddhism like compassion to others and mindfulness.

Interestingly Buddhism is another religion that also has another immaculate conception story cos heaven forbid that Siddhartha was conceived through carnal actions then came out of a vagina. Queen Maya allegedly dreamt of a white elephant and then got pregnant, I wonder what the king thought of it when she told her husband an elephant got her pregnant?
(November 24, 2017 at 8:40 am)curiosne Wrote:

3) Animal level. 

^^^^^ Like I said, anyone buying the idea that Buddhism is superstition free, here is your evidence it is not.

Asia and Japan's Buddhists have their own ideas of spirits and afterlife too.

The truth is that worldwide MOST humans buy some sort of spirit divine world and some version of continuing on after death.

MOD NOTE:
added HIDE tags
(November 24, 2017 at 9:01 am)curiosne Wrote:
(November 24, 2017 at 8:26 am)Brian37 Wrote: X-Buddhist, glad to have one here.

I think the philosophical part of the religion is the draw card here and then all the westerners then choose to ignore the religious nonsense. I still adhere to some of the philosophy of Buddhism like compassion to others and mindfulness.

Interestingly Buddhism is another religion that also has another immaculate conception story cos heaven forbid that Siddhartha was conceived through carnal actions then came out of a vagina. Queen Maya allegedly dreamt of a white elephant and then got pregnant, I wonder what the king thought of it when she told her husband an elephant got her pregnant?

How did it fit?
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(November 24, 2017 at 11:51 am)purplepurpose Wrote:

MOD NOTE:
added HIDE tags

wow very disturbing footage. I've never seen these.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buddhism! SisterAgatha 25 4253 November 20, 2017 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: curiosne
  Rabbi talks about Isaiah 7:14 Fake Messiah 9 2509 May 26, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass. Brian37 141 19578 May 20, 2016 at 8:27 am
Last Post: EuphoricAtheist
  Ahmed Alhassan (pbuh) the MAhdi talks about evolution and religion alquersh 0 1061 October 27, 2013 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: alquersh
  Thoughts on Buddhism Laurens 440 182854 May 9, 2012 at 5:03 am
Last Post: ace1ventura
Question Is Atheism a religion as say...Theravada Buddhism? KichigaiNeko 18 13267 February 19, 2010 at 3:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko