Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sequence
Sequence
I'm no mathamatision. But, I like to entertain myself with numbers. My latest toy is a sequence of odd numbers.

If I have one square tile and I want to increase it's size, keeping it square with the same size tiles, I would have to add 3 tiles.

Then I would then have 4 tiles. If I wanted to increase it's size from there, I would have to add 5 tiles for a total of 9 tiles at level 3. Increasing in size then is a sequence: 1 3 5 7 9 11 13... The 12th level is 144 tiles: 10th level = 100 tiles + 21 tiles = 121 tiles(11th level) + 23 tiles = 144.

Each level of tiles, 1 - 12..., is the square root of the total number of tiles at each level. I think it's cool that this sequence at the 12th level is the same number as the 12th level of the Fibonacci sequence.

Anyway, I thought is was fun. What does it mean? I have no idea.
RE: Sequence
(November 24, 2017 at 4:26 pm)Haipule Wrote: I'm no mathamatision. But, I like to entertain myself with numbers. My latest toy is a sequence of odd numbers.

If I have one square tile and I want to increase it's size, keeping it square with the same size tiles, I would have to add 3 tiles.

Then I would then have 4 tiles. If I wanted to increase it's size from there, I would have to add 5 tiles for a total of 9 tiles at level 3. Increasing in size then is a sequence: 1 3 5 7 9 11 13... The 12th level is 144 tiles: 10th level = 100 tiles + 21 tiles = 121 tiles(11th level) + 23 tiles = 144.

Each level of tiles, 1 - 12, is the square root of the total number of tiles at each level. I think it's cool that this sequence at the 12th level is the same number as the 12th level of the Fibonacci sequence.

Checking:

This is also true for first fibonacci number and the first square number.  Will it ever be true again?

Also, the number of tiles that must be added to get to the Nth level square from the one before it is

So to get to the 2nd, two by two, square from the one before it  (1 by 1)  you must add 3 tiles.  To get from to 33rd square from the one before it, you'd need to add 65 squares.  How many tiles would you need to add to get to the 1,003rd square?  

(November 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(November 24, 2017 at 4:26 pm)Haipule Wrote: I'm no mathamatision. But, I like to entertain myself with numbers. My latest toy is a sequence of odd numbers.

Each level of tiles, 1 - 12, is the square root of the total number of tiles at each level. I think it's cool that this sequence at the 12th level is the same number as the 12th level of the Fibonacci sequence.

Checking:

This is also true for first fibonacci number and the first square number.  Will it ever be true again?

Also, the number of tiles that must be added to get to the Nth level square from the one before it is

So to get to the 2nd, two by two, square from the one before it  (1 by 1)  you must add 3 tiles.  To get from to 33rd square from the one before it, you'd need to add 65 squares.  How many tiles would you need to add to get to the 1,003rd square?  

(November 24, 2017 at 7:02 pm)Haipule Wrote:
(November 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Checking:

1) If the sequences remains at there same levels, then no. My sequence is growth like a tree. Fibunacci is exponential growth like your investments. Shit! Did I say something smart?

2) Apparently, to my dumbass self, your replacing my + sequence with a - sequence. Same but, complicated difference only as blindly as I see it, stupid as a am.

3) Shoots! What ever you say, Dude! Don't confuse me with someone who is...! It was merely an observation of logical growth as a odd numbered sequence!

Thank you for challenging me! But, I am a million miles away in first grade math.  
No, odd numbers are cool. Here is something to think about:

Are the odd numbers closed* for addition (of two terms)?

Are odd numbers closed for multiplication (of two factors)?

Subtraction (two terms)?

Whether they are or are not, justify that decision in a way that should convince a fair minded listener.

*I.E., when performing those operations must you always get another odd number as a result?
(November 24, 2017 at 9:15 pm)Whateverist Wrote: No, odd numbers are cool.  Here is something to think about:

Subtraction (two terms)?

Whether they are or are not, justify that decision in a way that should convince a fair minded listener.

*I.E., when performing those operations must you always get another odd number as a result?
That odd number sequence is an unending sequence of growth--truth! Yet, I close nothing! Math, at it's fullest potential, is the only true thing that can explain everything, because God is preternatural(not "supernatural") and so is nature and so is math. Nature is not supernatural by definition. And that true nature, whether examined by an atheist, or theist, is truth irregardless of anyone's manipulated observations, opinion, ignorance or stupidity! Regardless of erroneous hypothesis, premises or conclusions!

In the end, both science and the bible will agree and NEVER argue! Unless all, or some, are stupid! So far, Christians are winning the "Stupid Race". And the Atheists are right behind! Let us go the other way and find what works in true theology(the preternatural science of God) nature, sciences and math! It's time to man up!
(November 24, 2017 at 9:15 pm)Whateverist Wrote: No, odd numbers are cool.  Here is something to think about:

Subtraction (two terms)?

Adding to odd numbers will always give an even number.    (NB any odd is always 1 more(or less) than an even number)
Let X = x+1, & Y = y+1   where x,y are even and X,Y are obviously odd, then
X+Y= x+1+y+1= x+y+2 which is the addition of 3 even numbers which is always even.
So, the odds are not closed under addition

X times Y = (x+1)*(y+1)=xy+x+y+1, which is always odd because xy,x,y are all even which adds up to an even, then +1 makes it odd
So, the odds are closed under multiplication

X - Y= (x+1) - (y+1)= x-y    which is always even since x & y are even.Even numbers are always separated by a factor of 2
So, the odds are not closed under subtraction

(NB if anyone read this earlier , I corrected the error..I hope)

Each level of tiles, 1 - 12..., is the square root of the total number of tiles at each level. I think it's cool that this sequence at the 12th level is the same number as the 12th level of the Fibonacci sequence.

You are not a spellamatision either.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I think careless spelling is a style thing for some people. Don't know about Mr. H.
(November 26, 2017 at 8:17 am)chimp3 Wrote:

You are not a spellamatision either.
I had to do an override, or ignore, on my spell checker just like you did. I was just trying NOT to sound like a mathmation. See, I did it again! How can I be a mathmatition when I can't even spell it! By the way, I hate monkeys! Glad your a chimp in the power of three--1(chimp3) + 1(chimp3) = .06 chimps(I will get arguments) However, I never met an orangutan I didn't like!
(November 25, 2017 at 12:35 am)Haipule Wrote:

Subtraction (two terms)?

That odd number sequence is an unending sequence of growth--truth! Yet, I close nothing! Math, at it's fullest potential, is the only true thing that can explain everything, because God is preternatural(not "supernatural") and so is nature and so is math. Nature is not supernatural by definition. And that true nature, whether examined by an atheist, or theist, is truth irregardless of anyone's manipulated observations, opinion, ignorance or stupidity! Regardless of erroneous hypothesis, premises or conclusions!

In the end, both science and the bible will agree and NEVER argue!
Unless all, or some, are stupid! So far, Christians are winning the "Stupid Race". And the Atheists are right behind! Let us go the other way and find what works in true theology(the preternatural science of God) nature, sciences and math! It's time to man up!

lol at least you are making funny jokes now Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tricky Number Sequence Puzzle GrandizerII 16 6027 January 20, 2015 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Whateverist