Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:45 am

Poll: What should be done about drugs?
This poll is closed.
Decriminalisation of all drugs with regulation.
69.70%
46 69.70%
Ban all harmful substances completely, including alcohol and tobacco.
3.03%
2 3.03%
Keep things the same.
9.09%
6 9.09%
Deregulate drugs entirely.
18.18%
12 18.18%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol 'more dangerous than heroin'
Alcohol 'more dangerous than heroin'
Okay, so as many of you may have heard, a recent study by Professor Nutt [BBC News Profile] [Wikipedia Entry] has released a study calling alcohol 'more harmful than heroin or crack when the overall dangers to the individual and society are considered'. And personally, I agree with him. The main criticism of his work has arisen due to the fact that this research flies in the face of the UK Government's policy on drug classification. The findings have backed up previous research from the Netherlands and United Kingdom.

[Image: Feb-David-Nutt.jpg]
David Nutt

Personally, I completely agree with the findings. They don't just show the damage to the individual but also the damage to others. I support the decriminalisation of drugs, what people put in their bodies should not be any business of the Government. And the added revenue from drugs sales would benefit society, as long as their use is regulated correctly. Improper use would of course put a larger burden on Healthcare and Welfare systems.

[Image: _49735645_drugs_comparisons_464gr.gif]

These findings should lead to a change in classification policy, either legalising other drugs, or banning alcohol. In reality they will most likely be shot down as nonsense by the Government and ignored.

What do you think? Should drugs be decriminalised or should things be kept the same?
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
RE: Alcohol 'more dangerous than heroin'
Remember prohibition? Think about that...
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I think he might have neglected to factor in the fact that the drinking population is much larger, so harm caused to and by each drinker is much smaller. Many if not most moderate drinkers experience some beneign, even beneficial social, emotional and even health effects of moderate drinking.
My position wasn't actually listed.

My view is that all illegal drugs should be legalised, not just decriminalised. Then sold by licence like alcohol or tobacco, with strict quality controls and laws to protect minors.

If such a thing happened,what is currently mainly a political/ legal issue becomes a far cheaper and far more manageable health issue.,which would be paid for by tax revenue from sale of the drugs and massive savings in the health and legal systems.
I think alcohol should remain legal, just have a massive tax, so that if people want to drink they are covered medically.
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
There is no way that pot is more dangerous than amphetamines and meth.
I also agree, the problem is that alcohol is more readily available. Therefore it is more harmful as people have the thought "Oh it's legal, it's fine" and you only need to go into A&E on a Friday night to see how bad the problems are. In addition to this younger people get into drinking when their bodies aren't development enough to deal with the quantities they want to drink. I think the best way to solve it is to introduce low amounts of alcohol to children at a young age, such as in countries like France, as the problems all start with the current generation with binge drinking. As for taxing or making it illegal, the problem is that it will encourage a drug trade and people will just look for the same high elsewhere in other substances.
[Image: girva.png]
(November 2, 2010 at 7:26 pm)solja247 Wrote: I think alcohol should remain legal, just have a massive tax, so that if people want to drink they are covered medically.

That's my take on all drugs. Taxes should be heavy enough to properly fund anti-abuse programs. Note that I said anti-abuse, not anti-use.

Funding sanity should always be a top priority.
I am all in favor of legalizing pot, hash, 'shrooms, even LSD, but Heroin, anfetamins etc, I am not so sure. These are terrible drugs really capable of a terrible destruction, even on adults. One can spend a few months having a beer every day without any problems and stop easily, however, heroin won't let you do that, you will need bigger dosage just after 1 month of 1 use per day and from there its a deadly spiral. These are indeed terrible drugs and I can give first hand testimony. And moderation isn't an issue here since these bad boys take control of you, not the other way around.

I have seen many strong minds thinking they can control heroin consumption, and all have failed... miserably.
Quote: I think the best way to solve it is to introduce low amounts of alcohol to children at a young age, such as in countries like France, as the problems all start with the current generation with binge drinking. As for taxing or making it illegal, the problem is that it will encourage a drug trade and people will just look for the same high elsewhere in other substances.

The French drink too much alcohol. approving of alcohol will not stop the consuming of alcohol. Taxing it will.
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The dangerous fallacy of "You can do it." Brian37 52 2851 September 7, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  What Happened to All the Alcohol? Rhondazvous 27 3062 May 23, 2020 at 6:34 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anal Intercourse is a Dangerous Hobby Agnostico 153 8806 February 16, 2020 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Quick Poll: Do you speak more than one language? Edwardo Piet 40 4183 April 27, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Quick Poll: Do you drink alcohol? Edwardo Piet 63 8541 October 1, 2017 at 2:24 am
Last Post: Aegon
  More than coincidence ?? vorlon13 2 819 July 5, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Alcohol is strange Edwardo Piet 31 2772 April 16, 2016 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Survey says! If you use more emojis than the norm, you think about sex more *Deidre* 28 5586 January 12, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Songs about Drugs/Alcohol! brewer 35 4892 November 27, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why knocking is dangerous. Losty 11 2641 August 21, 2014 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Lucanus