Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is in a label?
What is in a label?
I have been thinking about what I believe and don't believe.
At times I find it difficult as to whether to call myself atheist or agnostic. I am starting to look rather silly on my blog because one minute I will say I am atheist and another agnostic. At times, I might rather say I have no religion.
I disbelieve in God without knowing for sure - agnostic atheism!

As I was winning many games of chess ( 5 or so games! Tongue) I became rather distracted and lost in my thoughts. I had made a claim within my head that I believe in good people.

I have been questioning this in my head whilst working on my blog..

I have wondered if this is in fact true.. is there such a thing as good people? And what is a good person? I have seen instances of people being good to me (housemate gave me a plum! Big Grin) but does that conclude that they are good people?

Is there such a thing as good/bad ? Or is it subjective?
Is there such a thing as beautiful/ugly? Or is it subjective?
Is there no light but only darkness? Is light and dark the same?
[Image: geelong_football_club.jpg]My site: http://puglover.org
Bex loves: skiing, bike riding, maths, pugs,
her atheist society, politics and religious studies.
RE: What is in a label?
Well if it helps, I do not beleive we are able to know for sure if a god exists in the general sense but, I am certain we don't have it right and no god as we think of em exists. Thus, I am an agnostic atheist, you can be both.

Good and bad are subjective opinions but, it's been proven that humans have a moral code built into them. It's something evolution and natural selection granted us. We have observed similar behaviors and morals in other animals.

Beautiful and ugly is also opinions but, ugly is usually defined by being far from the norm. There is also a cute little side thing where someone found a certain ratio of facial features = more attractive people.

Darkness is simply an absence of light.

Someone could be considered a good person if they do good things more often than bad things. Everyone does bad things now and then but, most of us average out much more towards good.
Yep, I definately agree that darkness is simply an absence of light.

Demonaura thankyou for helping find a label that fits me (for now).

Is it necessarily bad to be ugly?

Can I still have other beliefs that aren't proven yet still call myself agnostic atheist?
eg. the healing powers of animals Big Grin, that the mind doesn't function once you die Sad , love Heart etc..
Scientifically it is only possible to have a reduced amount of light. Cool
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(January 1, 2009 at 7:30 am)Darwinian Wrote: Scientifically it is only possible to have a reduced amount of light. Cool

So, having no light is not a possibility?
Where is your proof?! LOL.
The proof is in the pudding! (mmm.. we have pudding in the kitchen! lol)

Also.. I want to start doing atheist/evolution type experiments at home lol..
like the one where you chop up frogs legs and put electricity in them!
i can just see me chasing the frog around the backyard now lol.
but seriously haha i want to do lil experiments at home.. does anybody have any ideas?
Leave the frogs alone... Sad

Anyway, you can never know how much light there is because you can only build equipment that can detect photons, and not their absence.

They'll always be a stray photon somewhere that's got lost.

Although I may be wrong.

I once met a man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true. Although he was later discovered to be lying!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(January 1, 2009 at 7:40 am)Darwinian Wrote: Leave the frogs alone... Sad

Anyway, you can never know how much light there is because you can only build equipment that can detect photons, and not their absence.

They'll always be a stray photon somewhere that's got lost.

Although I may be wrong.

I once met a man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true. Although he was later discovered to be lying!

what did he lie about?

will the experiment work with a dead frog?
i need to get electricity from some where....

so, you can detect how much light there is but you cannot detect how much darkness there is?
lol i think i am still in la la land with this stuff lol.. i'm like thinking in the metaphorical sense.. so used to thinking light/God/can only get better rarara.. but you do have a point and i'll take it! ROFL.

i am just getting so poopily-poop-pie about theology and metaphysics.. i can go on and on about... wondering, thinking without ever knowing anything new. i am sick of re-telling things that are already found. i want to make my own discoveries! i want to experiment.. step inside my lab! Lol.
What exactly is an atheist/evolution experiment? And why would you want to put electricity on a frogleg? I can tell you right now a muscle will contract when you place electricity on the right places but what would that prove?

An experiment you should only conduct if you have an hypothesis you want to test. So what do you want to test, why, and how? And why is a frog necessary? Scientists do not take animal testing, alive or dead likely, neither shoud you.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(January 1, 2009 at 1:29 am)puglover Wrote: I have been thinking about what I believe and don't believe. At times I find it difficult as to whether to call myself atheist or agnostic. I am starting to look rather silly on my blog because one minute I will say I am atheist and another agnostic. At times, I might rather say I have no religion. I disbelieve in God without knowing for sure - agnostic atheism!

Given that the fucker won't come out and play, how can anyone know for sure? In a nutshell that's the problem I have with people who seem reluctant to classify themselves as atheist.

Kyu
Yes you can beleve in other things and still be an agnostic atheist. Agnostic atheism is a position on the existence of god, nothing more. Plenty of atheists use alternative medicine, although the majority would call themselves skeptics about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The New Warning Label on Ammo onlinebiker 4 580 December 4, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Immigration, a humanity issue, not a label one. Brian37 4 1957 June 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Homophobia. A misleading label Dotard 71 21667 October 30, 2010 at 9:06 am
Last Post: Violet