Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homophobia. A misleading label
Homophobia. A misleading label
The word assigned to heterosexuals such as myself who happen to dread of being in close quarters with homosexuals and harbor an aversion to gay or homosexual people, their lifestyle and culture is "Homophobic".

I accepted the label society has placed upon me, because hey smarter people than me get paid to think up these words, and stuff.

This, the label 'Homophobia', has caused me more problems than my "homophobia" has in and of itself. I focused in on the 'phobia part.

pho·bi·a   /ˈfoʊbiə/
[foh-bee-uh]
–noun
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.
Origin:
1780–90; extracted from nouns ending in -phobia
—Synonyms
aversion, hatred.

I have an irrational fear? I hate? No I don't! I don't 'hate'. I wish no one harm. Now I have more questions. Why do I fear so much I hate? Yoda said fear leads to hate so it must be true!

So I go on a search to find the answers to why. Know what I learn't?

I don't have a 'phobia' at all. I realized the descriptor 'homophobia' is problematic for at least two reasons.

First, I read psycological articles that suggest empirical research does not indicate that heterosexuals' antigay attitudes can reasonably be considered a phobia in the clinical sense. The limited data available suggest that many heterosexuals who express hostility toward gay men and lesbians do not manifest the physiological reactions to homosexuality that are associated with other phobias.
Second, using homophobia implies that antigay prejudice is an individual, clinical entity rather than a social phenomenon rooted in cultural ideologies and intergroup relations. Moreover, a phobia is usually experienced as dysfunctional and unpleasant. Antigay prejudice, however, is often highly functional for the heterosexuals who manifest it.

I think the term 'Sexual Prejudice' is a better fit. Broadly applied, sexual prejudice refers to all negative attitudes based on sexual orientation, whether the target is homosexual, bisexual, or heterosexual.

Just like any prejudice, sexual prejudice has features.

1. It is an attitude (i.e., an evaluation or judgment).
2. It is directed at a social group and its members.
3. It is negative, involving hostility or dislike.

I think it a better fit because sexual prejudice is a descriptive term. Unlike homophobia, it conveys no a priori assumptions about the origins, dynamics, and underlying motivations of antigay attitudes.
AND using a construct of sexual prejudice does not require value judgments that antigay attitudes are inherently irrational or evil.

It doesn't stigmatize.

Thoughts?

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: Homophobia. A misleading label
I agree entirely and 100% with what you are saying. I've always had a problem with the word for the exact same reasons.

Phobia implies fear and hatred, which I haven't heard any of my (heterosexual) male friends say in a serious manner.

And I can't help but feel that it will never change to 'sexual prejedice' because 'homophobia' is just too much of a strong word to let slip through. It gets too many reactions and people riled up about it. And god forbid the self rightous liberals don't choose a suitable word for the damn thing. It's a conspiracy, I tell you. Tongue
Saerules Wrote:The air, tis wonderful!

Saerules Wrote:No, don't even ask what I just laughed at. I will not tell you what I just laughed at! You may think I'm going to tell you what I just laughed at, but I'm not!
xD
(October 26, 2010 at 10:58 pm)Dotard Wrote: Thoughts?

I think you're well overdue to get yourself a boyfriend. Isn't there anyone suitable amongst all your anti-gay mates?
I was scared when I first encountered gay males. I literally shook. I grew out of that pretty quickly. I now appreciate the vast diversity of human sexuality. People are on the scale... amusingly some of those holding the extreme masculine position are actually hiding an overt feminine side. Like existentialist says Dotard - maybe you're afraid of your feminine side and need to let it out a bit. You are obviously imbalanced if you have fear.

Homophobia to me is about an imbalanced perception and treatment of those of a homosexual tendency. Your definition of sexual prejudice seems to fit that.
I can see how in some people they could be afraid of a homosexual individual. In my opinion they are more likely to be Conservative individuals who feel that their lifestyle may be threatened.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Irrational discomfort is irrational.

Knowing one is irrational at times is wise. Reveling in it is in the same vein as celebrating ignorance. Stupidity incarnate.

One needn't to declare their prejudice against stamp collecting - merely state that stamp collecting isn't in your interests at all.

Why are you trying to "make a mountain out of a molehill"?

Dude, just state clearly that you're not interested in the same sex the exact manner as you're interested in the opposite sex.

As far as I am concerned, this is a thread about someone discussing how they don't do men.

On that note, I'll say that I don't do men, have wings on my back nor have I farted myself to Asia.
Alot of men & women, in Australia anyway, seem very insecure about their own sexuality.

Homophobia is a misleading label indeed. On the one hand it can be merely, well, a phobia. On the other hand it's often used to mean anti-homosexuality.
(October 27, 2010 at 2:43 am)Existentialist Wrote: I think you're well overdue to get yourself a boyfriend. Isn't there anyone suitable amongst all your anti-gay mates?

(October 27, 2010 at 3:50 am)fr0d0 Wrote: ... amusingly some of those holding the extreme masculine position are actually hiding an overt feminine side. Like existentialist says Dotard - maybe you're afraid of your feminine side and need to let it out a bit. You are obviously imbalanced if you have fear.

Attack the poster , not the opinion or post much?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(October 26, 2010 at 10:58 pm)Dotard Wrote: The word assigned to heterosexuals such as myself who happen to dread of being in close quarters with homosexuals and harbor an aversion to gay or homosexual people, their lifestyle and culture is "Homophobic".

Homosexuals have also been known to be homophobic. It's really quite amusing ^_^ Not for them, I imagine.

I wouldn't say that it is a central part of your lifestyle... ie: since when was insectophobia a lifestyle? 0.o There's a whole culture named after homophobia now? What next... claustrophobia culture? ^_^

Quote:I accepted the label society has placed upon me, because hey smarter people than me get paid to think up these words, and stuff.

I have to note that this doesn't mean they are right. They probably are though. But we can't rule out conspiracy...

Quote:This, the label 'Homophobia', has caused me more problems than my "homophobia" has in and of itself. I focused in on the 'phobia part.

pho·bi·a   /ˈfoʊbiə/
[foh-bee-uh]
–noun
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.
Origin:
1780–90; extracted from nouns ending in -phobia
—Synonyms
aversion, hatred.

I have an irrational fear? I hate? No I don't! I don't 'hate'. I wish no one harm. Now I have more questions. Why do I fear so much I hate? Yoda said fear leads to hate so it must be true!

You don't have a fear or hate... just an aversion, right? 0.o I never picked up any vibes that you were scared of them or hated them :S

Quote:So I go on a search to find the answers to why. Know what I learn't?

No, but I hope that Yoda being full of shit was one of the things. Sleepy

Quote:I don't have a 'phobia' at all. I realized the descriptor 'homophobia' is problematic for at least two reasons.

Shock Then what do I call you?! Shock

Other than the obvious title of 'God', of course.

Quote:First, I read psycological articles that suggest empirical research does not indicate that heterosexuals' antigay attitudes can reasonably be considered a phobia in the clinical sense. The limited data available suggest that many heterosexuals who express hostility toward gay men and lesbians do not manifest the physiological reactions to homosexuality that are associated with other phobias.
Second, using homophobia implies that antigay prejudice is an individual, clinical entity rather than a social phenomenon rooted in cultural ideologies and intergroup relations. Moreover, a phobia is usually experienced as dysfunctional and unpleasant. Antigay prejudice, however, is often highly functional for the heterosexuals who manifest it.

This is very well reasoned, actually. I agree. This isn't to state homophobia doesn't exist... but rather that it is a very misused term in many cases Smile

Quote:I think the term 'Sexual Prejudice' is a better fit. Broadly applied, sexual prejudice refers to all negative attitudes based on sexual orientation, whether the target is homosexual, bisexual, or heterosexual.

Actually, it can apply adversely as well. I can be very prejudiced that the team I support is the best.

Quote:Just like any prejudice, sexual prejudice has features.

1. It is an attitude (i.e., an evaluation or judgment).
2. It is directed at a social group and its members.
remove ---->3. It is negative, involving hostility or dislike.<--- remove

It is a prejudice towards homosexuals. In this case it is negative, and you have hostility/dislike for them. In others it might be positive, with amiability/liking for them.

Or you could view it as positive that you dislike them, or negative that you like them. But that's just silly Smile

Quote:I think it a better fit because sexual prejudice is a descriptive term. Unlike homophobia, it conveys no a priori assumptions about the origins, dynamics, and underlying motivations of antigay attitudes.
AND using a construct of sexual prejudice does not require value judgments that antigay attitudes are inherently irrational or evil.

It doesn't stigmatize.

Thoughts?

I like that it doesn't stigmatize. That the other (misused, as you noted) term is stigmatized is rather a shame in itself, as i see it. I say, 'it's just sex! Get over it!'. Then someone involkes the children argument. Then I involke the titty argument. Then they leave.

Every single time. They never let me finish my three sentences about how birth traumatizes little babies. I mean they TOUCHED a vagina! They'll be traumatized for life.

Oh, and anyone who agrees with that statement was both C-sectioned and bottle-fed. With cows milk.
(October 27, 2010 at 2:43 am)Existentialist Wrote:
(October 26, 2010 at 10:58 pm)Dotard Wrote: Thoughts?

I think you're well overdue to get yourself a boyfriend. Isn't there anyone suitable amongst all your anti-gay mates?

Boyfriends are overrated. Also, Dotard is God (stating the obvious, but for some it hasn't sunk in). This means he gets the best.

And the best are all women.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The New Warning Label on Ammo onlinebiker 4 576 December 4, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Immigration, a humanity issue, not a label one. Brian37 4 1951 June 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Today at work, bullshit about homophobia. Brian37 5 2541 May 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Racism, Sexism, Homophobia. Edwardo Piet 37 13472 May 1, 2011 at 8:13 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Dealing with homophobia on Atheist Forums Existentialist 38 8749 November 19, 2010 at 6:13 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  What is in a label? puglover 73 25573 January 19, 2009 at 7:11 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet