Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Developement
Personal Developement
Well this is a thread mostly about the authors. I think popular psychology is good because it is something that we all can read and make our lifes better with it.
But I started to observe tha a lot of authors don't try to offer methods anymore, they try to offer their perception about the world and try to impose it on others thinking their way to aproach life is the best and most competent one wich seems arrogant to me .

I mean that is plane wrong , you can't impose your personality on others because it will just destroy the personality of the reader and at a point on the road it will make him unhappy. What is your take on this?
RE: Personal Developement
Could you give an example?
I think the guys with the art of seduction are the best examples
They generaly find a way to seduce women , a way that works for them and generally is about indiference and ignoring women and they think that this is the universal way to pick up women . Basically they don't teach methods that you could use to improve your comunication with women , they just sell their personality.

Edit: Most of them don't teach you how to use your personality to be better , they theach you how to leare their personality and use it.
(December 16, 2017 at 4:33 am)notimportant1234 Wrote: I think the guys with the art of seduction are the best examples
They generaly find a way to seduce women , a way that works for them and generally is about indiference and ignoring women and they think that this is the universal way to pick up women . Basically they don't teach methods that you could use to improve your comunication with women , they just sell their personality.

Edit: Most of them don't teach you how to use your personality to be better , they theach you how to leare their personality and use it.

This is not a genre I am familiar with. I think my wife would worry if she caught me reading one.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 16, 2017 at 4:49 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(December 16, 2017 at 4:33 am)notimportant1234 Wrote: I think the guys with the art of seduction are the best examples

This is not a genre I am familiar with. I think my wife would worry if she caught me reading one.

I just gave an example , this is just one part of popular psychology.
I see what you mean. I guess it could go both ways, and it depends on what benefit you might reap from adopting another's personality. For instance, I don't know about ignoring women but not paying so damned much attention to them might help certain overzealous guys.

That being said, there are many different ways to romance a woman, and "seduction" certainly isn't everyone's forte'. Some guys are exiting and fun-loving. Other guys are humorous. The fact that human offspring continue to be produced suggests that a many of them get laid, not just the ones who ignore women. (Though this is reminding me of the histrionic personality disorder thread from a few days back.) Certainly one should play to his strengths.

You said something about "methods" in the OP. What kind of approach would you prefer to see from a pop psychologist?
As far as I can see personal development programs are more about developing the authors bank balance. Do any of them even agree with each other as to the best way to succeed in PD ? Did you have any specific authors in mind?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(December 16, 2017 at 4:53 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I see what you mean. I guess it could go both ways, and it depends on what benefit you might reap from adopting another's personality. For instance, I don't know about "ignoring" women but "not paying so damned much attention to them" might help certain overzealous guys.

That being said, there are many different ways to romance a woman, and "seduction" certainly isn't everyone's forte'. Some guys are exiting and fun-loving. Other guys are humorous. The fact that human offspring continue to be produced suggests that a many of them get laid, not just the ones who ignore women. (Though this is reminding me of the histrionic personality disorder thread from a few days back.) Certainly one should play to his strengths.

You said something about "methods" in the OP. What kind of approach would you prefer to see from a pop psychologist?

I think that you should play your strenghts too, that is the thing that they should be speaking about .

I will want a pop psychologist to help me better know myself and live a better life according to my personality , not to teach me how to live my life according to his perception of happy life.
(December 16, 2017 at 4:53 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I see what you mean. I guess it could go both ways, and it depends on what benefit you might reap from adopting another's personality. For instance, I don't know about "ignoring" women but "not paying so damned much attention to them" might help certain overzealous guys.

My wife liked my lack of style and finesse thinking it was a sign that I had probably not been out with a lot of women, little knowing the lack of quality control some women apply.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 16, 2017 at 4:55 am)Succubus Wrote: As far as I can see personal development programs are more about developing the authors bank balance. Do any of them even agree with each other as to the best way to succeed in PD ? Did you have any specific authors in mind?

Some of them are. What they should all agree on is that one should better know himself in order to be happier. Well there are 2 authors that I have in mind , John Gray and Pavel Corut( local author).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 5 Personal Worst Pathogen Sick Nanny 27 2192 September 30, 2023 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Vaccination exemption in CA, personal down, medical up brewer 245 46534 December 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady