Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Personal Worst Pathogen Sick
Top 5 Personal Worst Pathogen Sick
8 days into my first covid experience, I have reflected on the worst sicks I can remember.

1. Norovirus (2014) - I have not felt closer to death before or since. 
2. 2009 flu - fever was long lasting, less vomity than Norovirus and could control my bum during it.
3. Covid - very bad headache, bronchitis, fever, pain in teeth, no appetite, diarrhea, tinnitus, anosmia, joint pain
4. Scarlet Fever (1977) - under an O2 tent in the pediatric ICU, only bare scary memories remain
5. Appendicitis.  Laparoscopic removal. Fever of 103 and pneumonia post op.

What say you? What is in your sick hall of fame for bugs? I've never had Lyme, West Nile, Malaria, etc, which would rank highly I suspect.

Also due acknowledgement that there a loads of awful diseases not necessarily related to pathogens and I am not trying to make light of these or the patients that suffer from them.
RE: Top 5 Personal Worst Pathogen Sick
I once had a staph aureus that turned into a pretty severe case of cellulitis. Other than that,  nothing really.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not counting the cancer thing for the heart attack thing...I get one bad upper respiratory infection every year. And I break and rebreak the same rib or two each time. That sucks.

I got the chicken pox when I was 16 and was absolutely covered with the damn things. Fever and headache and my eyes were terribly sensitive to light. I spent about 10 days in the basement TV room to avoid the light from the windows. Missed the biggest party of my junior year in HS.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I've been pretty healthy. My covid is dragging into the second week, but it's been a very light case.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Kinda "died" for nearly 2 minutes.
Dying to live, living to die.
From worst to least worst

1. 2013 flu gone bad to pneumonia. Nothing a week+ in ICU couldn't fix. Nothing else comes remotely close.
2. 1982 burst appendix.
3. 2021 COVID part 1
4. 2021 COVID part 2
5. 2000 Norovirus, thankfully it was mercifully short. I managed to cause a super spreader event.
I had a cold once.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
i got such a high fever i was sent to emergency room and given IV for dehydration when I was 11. that’s about it. had covid twice first half of last year but neither time it was bad nor noticeably worse than the occasional seasonal flu.
1. 2015 onwards, idiopathic hypersomnia. I can count the times I've woken up refreshed in the morning in the past eight or so years on my fingers. Even on those days, I still end up nodding off at inopportune times. Modafinil helps a bit, but nowhere near enough to make me ready for anything resembling a normal sleep schedule.
2. 2013-4, severe stomach issues (eventually named "functional dyspepsia") that turned out to be psychosomatic. When I say severe, think "anything you eat will cause heartburn at an absolute minimum." Somehow, amitryptiline ended up fixing it.
3. One severe 24-hour virus in my teens. Don't know what year it is, only that it happened on a New Year's Eve. It was severe enough that I could hold nothing down, not even a sip of water. It's this high, because, well, can you imagine being able to survive for long if you couldn't even take a sip of water without puking it up?
4. Summer 2013. I was (likely) one of the victims of a Cyclosporiasis outbreak. I wasn't given a test for it, but the doctors thought the symptoms matched up.
5. 2022 COVID. It was a bit worse than the average flu, but I think my having three jabs at the time had something to do with that.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Mononucleosis the summer after 8th grade, symptoms lasted for a month. The funny part is that I contracted it while on a sleepover at a friends house. The transmitter was his older sister and/or her friend (~16yo) that was also there. Talk about pleasure followed by pain.

The Russian flu in 1978. At college, my room mate caught it also. We thought we could damp down the symptoms with fruit flavored brandy and drank for a week. Not sure if the flu symptoms actually lasted that long.

Can't recall any others more than the common cold.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vaccination exemption in CA, personal down, medical up brewer 245 46570 December 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Personal Developement notimportant1234 39 2686 December 16, 2017 at 7:17 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Damn, I'm really sick: coughing, runny nose, sore throat vorlon13 45 7900 July 15, 2017 at 11:47 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Okay "god" you fucking poser....Top This! Minimalist 12 2378 March 11, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Despite patient risks, most docs, nurse practitioners go to work when sick Pyrrho 1 834 July 7, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie