Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Threads
Science Threads
Newbie here:
I was pleased to see the variety of general science sub-forums for some great discussion, but I was surprised to see no forum for Quantum Science. I feel there is much to be discussed in that arena. Anything below the atomic level could be discussed there, rife with evidence (or not) against the existence of god.

I don't want to step on any toes, but I think it's a fantastic idea that would go well with the other sub-topics that already exist here.

Kind Regards,
-siouxdax in Tulsa
RE: Science Threads
We have our very own forum physicist, whom we keep chained to a grate in a cramped sewer.  He answers any and all quantum this or thats anywhere they may flare up, or he gets the leeches.  If, however, he performs; we throw him raw fish.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 8, 2018 at 8:55 pm)Khemikal Wrote: We have our very own forum physicist, whom we keep chained to a grate in a cramped sewer.  He answers any and all quantum this or thats anywhere they may flare up, or he gets the leeches.  If, however, he performs; we throw him raw fish.

Speaking of, isn't it your turn to scrub out his enclosure?
Dying to live, living to die.
His name is Alex, siouxdad, and he comes around every so often. The new guy, polymath, is pretty high up in physics graduate studies. He might know something too, as he has mentioned it before. Just post your quantum question in general physics or whatever other subforum you think most relates to your question. Smile
If you keep this up tonylang will come back. Then you all will be very very sorry,............. but it just might be spooky action at a distance.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 8, 2018 at 8:55 pm)Khemikal Wrote: We have our very own forum physicist, whom we keep chained to a grate in a cramped sewer.  He answers any and all quantum this or thats anywhere they may flare up, or he gets the leeches.  If, however, he performs; we throw him raw fish.

Fish *heads*.

Note: cut Alex's ration to one fish head every other week.
(January 8, 2018 at 11:20 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: If you keep this up tonylang will come back. Then you all will be very very sorry,............. but it just might be spooky action at a distance.

If I had ever said "spooky action at a distance" to any of my friends, they would look at me with blank eyes and expect something along the lines of a punchline. So very glad to see it said here. You made my day. Smile
Kind Regards,
-siouxdax
(January 9, 2018 at 6:48 pm)siouxdax Wrote:
(January 8, 2018 at 11:20 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: If you keep this up tonylang will come back. Then you all will be very very sorry,............. but it just might be spooky action at a distance.

If I had ever said "spooky action at a distance" to any of my friends, they would look at me with blank eyes and expect something along the lines of a punchline. So very glad to see it said here. You made my day. Smile

If I answer questions, can I get some fish heads also?

Have you taken a look at Mermin's article 'Is the moon there when nobody looks? Reality and quantum theory'? It's well worth a look if you haven't. it is written by a rather famous physicist in solid state theory.

I can't post a link yet, so do a google search for Mermin and Moon. Look for a PDF file with the article.
(January 9, 2018 at 12:05 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

Fish *heads*.

I think Alex may have sired a second "scanner" and between the two of them they have taken control. Hope you've put the heads on ice.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 9, 2018 at 7:22 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(January 9, 2018 at 12:05 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Fish *heads*.

I think Alex may have sired a second "scanner" and between the two of them they have taken control. Hope you've put the heads on ice.

Are you kidding? Have you seen the price of ice?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7635 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4240 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe