Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When people claim religion is harmless.
When people claim religion is harmless.
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/15/us/califor...index.html
RE: When people claim religion is harmless.
Sure man, religious people don't want to look at the ugly side of religion. They filter the negative and delude themselves.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(January 16, 2018 at 8:50 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Sure man, religious people don't want to look at the ugly side of religion. They filter the negative and delude themselves.

And anti-religious people don't want to look at the good side of religion. They filter the positive and delude themselves.

Considering the ubiquity of religion in human cultures, it seems obvious that religion generally results in a net good for society.
(January 16, 2018 at 9:03 am)alpha male Wrote:
(January 16, 2018 at 8:50 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Sure man, religious people don't want to look at the ugly side of religion. They filter the negative and delude themselves.

And anti-religious people don't want to look at the good side of religion. They filter the positive and delude themselves.

Considering the ubiquity of religion in human cultures, it seems obvious that religion generally results in a net good for society.

Holy crap, 

Can religious people do good? YES, not the point.

You chalk the good humans do to sky heros and books of magic, I don't. I KNOW our ability to do good or bad is in our evolution. Someone sold you the crappy idea that life is the product of a sky hero.

I DO like the empathy of someone like Martin Luther King Jr. I do like the empathy of Ann Frank. I do like the empathy of Malala. I SIMPLY DOUBT where any of those think our species behaviors are coming from.

And please stop assuming because I point out this family, that I only single out one religion. Jews and Muslims and Buddhists and Hindus and Sikhs ARE JUST as mistaken about where our species morality comes from. They are JUST as mistaken as you. And I can also point out tons of horrible stories their religious do as well. 

NONE of that means I hate every single religious person. 

You, "You ignore the good religion does."

Me, "NO, I question where people think that good is really coming from." 

IT IS NOT coming from holy books or holy people, our ability to be cruel or compassionate IS IN US. Our species was being compassionate and cruel to each other even long before ANY written religion was made up by humans.

A religious person doing good, still does not prove a true real deity or perfect religious club label. THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

AND you are irritating me with this horrible logic. MY MOM was Catholic, died a Catholic, AND she was a life time teacher, she did TONS of good in her life. But if she had been a Jew or a Hindu or a Muslim, with the same career, I'D still love her, but I would also STILL be anti theist in the context of saying, YOUR GOOD IS NOT IN THAT LABEL, but in our species.

I I LIKE Catholic Lady here. I LIKE Atlass33 a Muslim. BUT that does not mean I have to value every single claim they make. NO do not ask me to blindly swallow your claim, or any one OF ANY religion, whom claims our species behaviors are part of some divine place handed down to us. NO, I will not let you hide behind that horrible logic. Just like you would not buy it if I claimed Thor was the source of our species morality.

I struggle to see the good side of religion, could you give me some examples of what you would class as it's good points?

Could any of these net goods be achieved without religion do you think?
Horrible story. I don't read any links with religion though.
Did I miss it somewhere?
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(January 16, 2018 at 9:35 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: Horrible story. I don't read any links with religion though.
Did I miss it somewhere?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/...-home-say/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/perris-cali...ibe-shock/
(January 16, 2018 at 9:03 am)alpha male Wrote:

The Kray twins loved their mum. I guess that makes up for the violence and killing, yeah?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
AND ANOTHER THINK Alpha,

One of Martin Luther King Jr's biggest organizers was an ATHEIST.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/...7f5e445628

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Philip_Randolph

If I had been old enough, or alive back then, I would have been marching with them too. I would have wanted to be there live to hear King give his famous speech. My issue with ALL RELIGIONS, isn't  my fellow human's rights. My issue has always been logic. I can like and love you the individual, but not agree as to where you think our species good is coming from.

For every non violent liberal theist who quotes a holy book to justify compassion, there are others under the same umbrella label, or even sub sect, that read that same holy book to justify harm to others. BUT that is the case with every religion worldwide. That says to me, our behaviors ARE IN US, not in the religions our species ancestors hand down to us.

That does not follow.  A behavior that is popular is not necessarily positive.
Morituri Delendi!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kill, then claim Immunity. brewer 12 1061 October 10, 2019 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Cod
  knives don't stab people people stab people! Drich 135 5816 April 9, 2019 at 8:37 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Red Bull doesn't give you wings, 13 million payout for lawsuit. Claim your money ForumMember77 35 6732 October 11, 2014 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13