Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What About The Brand?
What About The Brand?
As I've been watching the slow moving trainwreck that is american politics, I've started to ask a question that's popping up front and center now that midterms are getting close.  Is conservatism dead?  Has the message that the republican party spent decades crafting...regardless of it's truth, been completely shitcanned?  

How will the republican party run on a law and order ticket going forward?

How will the republican party run on a fiscal conservative platform going forward?

How will the republican party run a morality and ethics campaign going forward?

How will the republican party expand it's base with minorities and women going forward?

How will the republican party cast itself as the party of the middle class going forward?

How will the republican party brand itself as the party of small business going forward?

How will the republican party be the cheerleaders for free markets going forward?  

How will the republican party insist that it is the party of american idealism and patriotism going forward?

I'm not asking, in any of the above..if they were ever -true- to any of their campaign rhetoric, I'm asking how a candidate will be able to make a compelling case for any of the above from within the rapidly deteriorating framework that was the GOP?  I've been wondering this since Bush the Younger, and it's only become more pronounced in the interim..the final straw on so many fronts being this past year.   Where is the opposition to the erosion of all of the time, and labor, and money in messaging?

In short..where are the conservatives?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: What About The Brand?
Um, they are shameless hypocrites with no attachment to facts.

They will simply stake out a new (old) position and their fucktard base will fall in line like the good little sheep they are.
That may be so, but..again....I'm not wondering about the shamelessness of politicians.  I consider that a given.  I'm sure that there are at least some people in the republican base that want all or some of the above things to be true -about- the republican party.

Fuck, I'm not a republican and -I- want all of the above things to be true about the republican party..I want them all to be true of both parties.  

I'm wondering where those conservatives are...what sort of rep they're looking for, if they know of one....and how that rep manages to support that messaging in the face of the current situation.  What does that look like...can it even be done?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 6, 2018 at 12:39 pm)Khemikal Wrote: As I've been watching the slow moving trainwreck that is american politics, I've started to ask a question that's popping up front and center now that midterms are getting close.  Is conservatism dead?  Has the message that the republican party spent decades crafting...regardless of it's truth, been completely shitcanned?  

How will the republican party run on a law and order ticket going forward?

How will the republican party run on a fiscal conservative platform going forward?

How will the republican party run a morality and ethics campaign going forward?

How will the republican party expand it's base with minorities and women going forward?

How will the republican party cast itself as the party of the middle class going forward?

How will the republican party brand itself as the party of small business going forward?

How will the republican party be the cheerleaders for free markets going forward?  

How will the republican party insist that it is the party of american idealism and patriotism going forward?

I'm not asking, in any of the above..if they were ever -true- to any of their campaign rhetoric, I'm asking how a candidate will be able to make a compelling case for any of the above from within the rapidly deteriorating framework that was the GOP?  I've been wondering this since Bush the Younger, and it's only become more pronounced in the interim..the final straw on so many fronts being this past year.   Where is the opposition to the erosion of all of the time, and labor, and money in messaging?

In short..where are the conservatives?

Ho hum. Subjective horse shit.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
The shamelessness of politicians?  In short order expect to see this same bunch of republlicunts who pushed through their giant tax cut bill for their rich motherfucking pals start to whine about the "deficit."  That's the definition of shameless.

Meanwhile, even though this is long it is worth the read.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/insider...nderbelly/

Quote:An insider explains how rural Christian white America has a dark and terrifying underbelly

Sadly their fucking god shit is right at the heart of it.
@A

I'd hope not, or else there isn't any chance of a republican party (or any party) that conforms to any of those things..as there wouldn't be anything to conform to.  Do you not want the republican party to be all or at least some of those things? If you don't that's completely valid, mind you...the heart wants what the heart wants..or doesn't.

(February 6, 2018 at 1:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The shamelessness of politicians?  In short order expect to see this same bunch of republlicunts who pushed through their giant tax cut bill for their rich motherfucking pals start to whine about the "deficit."  That's the definition of shameless.
Sure...but I'm willing to bet that we can find some conservatives who don't think that exploding the deficit for a tax holiday was a good idea.  I want to hear from them.  
Quote:Meanwhile, even though this is long it is worth the read.

Sadly their fucking god shit is right at the heart of it.
-snipped
Well aware that the god bothering wing is full of nutters..but none of the messaging I referenced required a dominionist bent.  I want to hear from people who want those things to be true.
(February 6, 2018 at 12:39 pm)Khemikal Wrote: In short..where are the conservatives?

They were replaced by anti-liberals some time ago.

Anymore, it's not about promoting fiscal conservatism, but "stopping the party that spends too much." Anyone with half a brain, who earnestly wants to balance the budget would not give a massive taxcut to the extremely wealthy at every opportunity. But nobody cares about balancing the budget. Nobody.

In another thread I mentioned the conservative mantra of "we need less regulation" pointing out that what they really mean is "we need to get rid of stifling regulations." After all, there are undoubtedly unjust laws on the books, but nobody says "We need less laws." But that's just it. The mantra about regulations isn't about fixing the system; it's about putting a lid on the efforts of the opposition.

It's not conservatism; it's anti-liberalism. As such, it doesn't need to sell its own brand. It's doing just fine painting the opposition as a boogeyman. 

The current status may be reactionary, but it's not particularly anti-liberal.  Still, though, I accept that some people are happy with the direction of the party - I'm more interested in people who think that the message as it was.. was a good message...and how they can return the gop to that message.  Not as reactionaries, but as a party with a viable ideology and plan wholly separate from pointing at the other guy.
They'll do it by appealing to those who are stupid enough not to figure it out.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
I'm told that not all republicans are stupid...and..ostensibly, we have a few of the non-stupid ones on this board that could use the thread and opportunity as a clearinghouse of credible conservative candidates and movements.
(assuming, ofc..and as I have, that they still exist.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russell Brand and another WTF OP/ED Brian37 45 12248 November 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Question Russell Brand vs. Paxman! Napoléon 53 9495 October 26, 2013 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Russell Brand's political opinion bladevalant546 0 950 October 25, 2013 at 10:26 am
Last Post: bladevalant546