Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum USA
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum USA
I probably should find this disturbing but am not really that surprised. 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/ar...irect=true
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum USA
Question to the people of the forums:

Should it be illegal for pregnant women to drink, smoke, and do street drugs?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I think education and treatment are the only viable options.

Unless, when the kid comes of age you want to give a break on justifiable matricide.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 7, 2018 at 8:45 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Question to the people of the forums:

I think restaurants, bars, liquor stores, ect., should have the legal right to refuse serving/selling to an obviously pregnant woman.  On the rest, I have to think about it for a bit.  My gut reaction is ‘hell yes it should be illegal,’ but I’ll get back to you after I’ve given it some thought.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(February 7, 2018 at 8:45 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Question to the people of the forums:

I don't think so, because I'm only for enforceable laws. It's already illegal to do street drugs, but people still do, so why would it be any different with a pregnant woman? Just like with drug abuse, the responsibility has to come from the woman to tackle this issue. Trying to force people to stop doing drugs or drinking through punitive measures is historically ineffective. A mother should love her child, so she should be incentivized because of that, not because it's illegal for her not to (unless she is mentally ill or severely addicted to drugs - in which case she needs help and support, not criminal punishment).

Literally no one is going to be about to do illicit drugs while pregnant, remember that there's an additional law against specifically that, and stop. So what's the point?

It already is illegal for them to do street drugs. No to the other things.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson

It depends how one feels about drug use in general as well as abortion. I believe anybody should be able to put anything they want into their own bodies. Smoke up, drink up, shoot up. You're an adult with bodily autonomy and the government does not have the right to take it away from you. However, we should punish those whose drug usr harms others, such as with drunk or high driving. This certainly harms the fetus, and it's no longer solely about you. So it comes down to: do I think a fetus counts as another person that can be harmed? I don't think so, but I'm not comfortable taking a strong stance pro life or pro choice. I've been both before.

Of course you could argue that a fetus dies not qualify for personhood early in the pregnancy but if we assume the woman will see the pregnancy to the end and give birth, she is knowingly endangering the health and wellbeing of something that is guaranteed to be a person....

Alright i might be overthinking this lol. I have no answer. Lol. Long winded way of saying "I don't know."
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(February 7, 2018 at 11:38 am)Mermaid Wrote:

It already is illegal for them to do street drugs. No to the other things.

I should have clarified that by that, I meant it would be another crime on top of the drug use crime itself.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Yes. Triggers me knowing that kind of thing happens all the time.
Should it be illegal for pregnant women to be obese? Eat shitty food? 

After the baby is born, should it be illegal for the mother not to breastfeed?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!