Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origin of Language
Smile 
Origin of Language
I'm new to the forum. My first post actually. I'm glad to be here, so "Hi, to all!" and I hope to have some fruitful discussion and learn more about what atheists think.  

What is the atheist explanation for the origin of language? Is it general, in the sense of selective pressure in an evolutionary worldview? Or is it more specific? Put another way, why and how did language begin?
RE: Origin of Language
What the hell does that have to do with atheism?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(February 22, 2018 at 2:04 pm)JMT Wrote: I'm new to the forum. My first post actually. I'm glad to be here, so "Hi, to all!" and I hope to have some fruitful discussion and learn more about what atheists think.  

What is the atheist explanation for the origin of language? Is it general, in the sense of selective pressure in an evolutionary worldview? Or is it more specific? Put another way, why and how did language begin?

You have misunderstood what atheism is.

But you may be wanting a scientific explanation. 

And for that google is your friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_language

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hiya. Might want to throw up an introduction thread to say hi to folks.  We have a lot of people that stop by to make one thread posts to troll, and then are never heard from again.  Making an intro thread would let people see you're genuine at least!  Smile

Unless you literally think that the worlds' languages magically  and suddenly came about because god destroyed the literal tower of Babel, then the "atheist" explanation for the origin of languages is the exact same explanation that everyone else uses too.  Nothing about language origin is anything to do with a/theism unless you believe that Bible story.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Basically, in The beginning, there was only one language, back when everyone lived in africa.
But then, for reasons science can not yet accurately Explain, but we might get there in The future, Some of The boys didn't like Some of The girls in their town. Alternative theories suggest it were The girls that thought the boys were icky, but really now: what sense does that make?
Anyways, to avoid The pesky girls from hearing their plans and thus tagging allong and bothering them, The boys develloped a secret language to be able to communicate without The girls' meddling. Think of it as pig-latin prime. However, over time, as fathers taught their sons, more and more of The secret language was uncovered by The females who in turn taught their tribe's daughters. So The new language became an old known language.
Right around that time, half The people in The village got pissed off because The elections for chieftain had resulted in them being ruled by an orange urang-utang. So they fucked off out of The village and decided not to want anything in common with those that praised The ape-leader. They decided to take The new old language which had become obsolete and known by all by then, and made it their own, to further distinguish themselves.
Before long, however, The boys again decided they did not like The girls. And The whole process has been repeating itself, ever since.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(February 22, 2018 at 2:04 pm)JMT Wrote: I'm new to the forum. My first post actually. I'm glad to be here, so "Hi, to all!" and I hope to have some fruitful discussion and learn more about what atheists think.  

Evolution is the origin of language.
https://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
My guess is that language was invented when the first human whacked his thumb with a stone hammer trying to hang a picture up.

Or needed to tell someone to fuck off.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 22, 2018 at 2:10 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: What the hell does that have to do with atheism?
Ok,, I was under the impression that atheism was a worldview, so that it has a total way of looking at the world without a god or gods, (which is why I posted in the philosophy section). If I'm wrong about this, I'd like to know. If it is a worldview, it has to have an explanation or justification for the way the world is now. Language is one of the components of the world now, and I am researching language origins from the standpoint of different worldviews, so I wanted to know.

(February 22, 2018 at 2:12 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

You have misunderstood what atheism is.

But you may be wanting a scientific explanation. 

And for that google is your friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_language

Ok, yes, perhaps I have and perhaps I am. I'm over here on an atheism forum because I thought, at least generally, that atheists are evolutionists. Is this generally the case? I'm posting this in the philosophy section, rather than science, because, as the Wikipedia article says, there is a "lack of direct evidence" for the origin of language. Science depends on direct evidence, at least hard or laboratory science, and other science that lacks direct evidence or testing capability is more philosophical and speculative. So, thanks for the link, I'll read it further, and if you have any additional connections or disconnections to enlighten me on, regarding the relationship of atheists to evolution, please share. Thanks...

(February 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Hiya. Might want to throw up an introduction thread to say hi to folks.  We have a lot of people that stop by to make one thread posts to troll, and then are never heard from again.  Making an intro thread would let people see you're genuine at least!  Smile

Unless you literally think that the worlds' languages magically  and suddenly came about because god destroyed the literal tower of Babel, then the "atheist" explanation for the origin of languages is the exact same explanation that everyone else uses too.  Nothing about language origin is anything to do with a/theism unless you believe that Bible story.
Ok, I'll do that. I'm on another forum and there is an Introduction or New Members area. I didn't see that so I just introduced myself here. But now I see just make a new thread. We have the same issue on the other forum I'm a part of. Lots of one timers with 2-3 posts...I can't say I'll be around all the time. Just trying it out...I like to hear firsthand from folks that actually hold a view.
(February 22, 2018 at 3:31 pm)JMT Wrote:
(February 22, 2018 at 2:10 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: What the hell does that have to do with atheism?
Ok,, I was under the impression that atheism was a worldview, so that it has a total way of looking at the world without a god or gods, (which is why I posted in the philosophy section). If I'm wrong about this, I'd like to know. If it is a worldview, it has to have an explanation or justification for the way the world is now. Language is one of the components of the world now, and I am researching language origins from the standpoint of different worldviews, so I wanted to know.

Atheism is only an answer to a single question, and that's it. 

"Do you believe it's true or likely true that a god(s) exist?"  No --> atheist.

Any attendant beliefs or values can come along with that.  Atheists can deny evolution, can be anti-separation of church and state, be pro-gun, anti-vax, literally anything.

The only 'requirement' to be an atheist is not having a belief in a god, because that's all atheism is.

Out of curiosity, how did you conclude that it was a worldview? I doubt an atheist told you that.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Origin of evil Harris 186 22870 September 12, 2016 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Harris
  Is one-world-language a good idea? Aoi Magi 45 6509 February 9, 2015 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Sex- A language of Body and Reproduction Urge Khansins 13 2319 November 20, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Morality as a Language Koolay 11 3356 September 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Origin of Articles elunico13 192 58769 July 4, 2012 at 11:30 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Language disproves atheism theVOID 6 2262 November 10, 2010 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: theVOID