Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neti pots.
Neti pots.
I got one of these from the VA for a persistent sinus infection. The whole idea freaks me out, however. Anyone with experience with these things?
RE: Neti pots.
transmission vector for brain eating microbe . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, I used a net pot once. And look how dumb I am now! The microbes had a feast.

If you use unfiltered tap water that might happen. But only if your tap water is shit.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
They do feel weird the first few times. But the also provide some relief and do a pretty good job of treating/preventing sinus infections.

I find the squeeze bottles type easier to use than the classic tea pot looking thing.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
You have to use distilled water
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Yes! You have to use distilled water and the little packets it should have come with. If you use plain water it will burn like a motherfucker.
(March 9, 2018 at 11:23 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: You have to use distilled water

Well, you can use distilled water as the initial vehicle but it needs to have salt added to make it close to normal saline. The most important thing is that the pot and solution is sterile with each use. 

I'd rather just buy a packaged sterile saline nose spray.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I've used one. It works really well, although it feels like I just went swimming and got water up my nose afterwards.

Definitely use distilled water with one, and either use premixed salt packets or a mixture of sea salt and baking soda (not sure of the ratio). I usually heat the water in a cup in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then pour it into the neti pot.

I don't do this very often, but when my sinuses are really clogged it does help.
It came with packets, I shoved them aside. Maybe I should read the instructions...

Nah, that's just crazy talk.
I don't like the way they work, so I simply snort salt water from a small cup. I also only have ever used tap water. I start in immediately after I start to feel a cold coming on. If the cold takes hold, I flush until the mucus is clear; up to maybe 5 or 6 times a day.

I woke up with a sore throat his morning, so my first order of business was to gargle some hydrogen peroxide. I put Chapstick™ on my lips first, to keep them from burning. Then, gargle with warm saline followed by clear water.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.