Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism may be contributing to my social isolation
Atheism may be contributing to my social isolation
I'm a 4th year math major at university and like a lot of mathematicians, I'm a recluse. My other interests are also pretty solitary: reading, physics, chess, TV and atheism. In fact, my presence on AF.com and AF.org is my only social life at the moment. I'm a part time student due to which it's not easy to make friends with other (full time) students as they progress with their courses quicker than me. I don't have a good relationship with my family either.

I suffer from mental illness, which isn't helped by my isolation. I've spoken to my therapist about this and he recommended joining a club at university. I realize that if I was still a Christian, I'd have some social activity at the local church every Sunday. I conclude that atheism, though a good thing, has possibly had a negative impact on my mental health. Since I can't deconvert to Christianity again, what should I do?
RE: Atheism may be contributing to my social isolation
Try to find a part time job. It'll get you out of the house, make money, and you'll meet and work with other people. It's a good way to make friends.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I'm afraid my suggestion wouldn't be beneficial for someone like you.

For me personally, the only time I can enjoy socialization in an offline capacity is when I am drinking alcohol. I become a social butterfly under the influence.

Otherwise, I find online socialization to be enough for me. In fact, since the creation of the internet, I believe many introverts have been benefited greatly by online social interactions.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 17, 2018 at 8:54 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Try to find a part time job. It'll get you out of the house, make money, and you'll meet and work with other people. It's a good way to make friends.

Thanks!

Although I'm a part time student, my mental illness results in me spending a lot more time on each course than other students. Consequently I have no time for even a part time job.
I'm no mental health professional so maybe I'm way off-base here but is it so wrong to be a recluse? I'm one too and that's just who I am.

You mention a mental illness but you are not specific. It sounds like it doesn't interfere with your ability to interact with teachers and fellow students in a normal university environment. So what is the problem?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(March 17, 2018 at 9:19 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I'm no mental health professional so maybe I'm way off-base here but is it so wrong to be a recluse? I'm one too and that's just who I am.

You mention a mental illness but you are not specific. It sounds like it doesn't interfere with your ability to interact with teachers and fellow students in a normal university environment. So what is the problem?

I suffer from bipolar disorder, OCD and psychosis. OCD causes me to take twice as much time to do things, due to which I'm a part time student. And since I'm a part time student, it isn't easy to befriend other (full time) students as they move more quickly than I do.
I'm an old fart and don't really know what you whipper snappers are into.

My kid hangs out at a board game place. Apparently it's like a coffee shop but ya sit around and play board/card games and converse. 

Tried a gym?

Check the library. Not just the schools. They often have gatherings. Just googled our cities, there is a little bit of everything, authors, art, cooking, finance, gaming, entertainment, ..............
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Take part in group meets, there are websites online that can help facilitate this. Some are free, the ones that aren't are usually a pretty low fee and that fee typically goes to some kind of activity.

I know you said you don't have time for a part time job, but consider volunteering at a charity. You can usually volunteer time in shorter blocks than what would be required in a part time job. And volunteer for something you're passionate for, or at least somewhat care about. It will give you something in common with the other people there. Volunteer at an animal shelter if you want to meet girls btw, you'll probably be cleaning up shit though.

Buy things and then return them a few days later. Obviously don't buy a couch and then try and return it, but buy a pack of pencils or something. This isn't a real big solution, but if you haven't had any social contact all day this will get you at least a few minutes of interaction. Also don't try and chat up the sales associate for a long time, they have a job to do. Just make some small talk in the time it takes to run your transaction.

These are some of the things I did to overcome depression, anxiety, and just general isolationism a few years back and they helped me out of a rut.

You could also do things pertaining to your interests. Join a book club, math team, or chess club. If you university doesn't have them, start them. Just try and get out though, it'll do wonders for your mental well being.
(March 17, 2018 at 9:25 pm)Alexmahone Wrote:
(March 17, 2018 at 9:19 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I'm no mental health professional so maybe I'm way off-base here but is it so wrong to be a recluse? I'm one too and that's just who I am.

I suffer from bipolar disorder, OCD and psychosis. OCD causes me to take twice as much time to do things, due to which I'm a part time student. And since I'm a part time student, it isn't easy to befriend other (full time) students as they move more quickly than I do.

These psychological issues contribute to your isolation. The fact that you also do not believe in a personal god is irrelevant. All being an atheist means is that you are not a believer. My understanding is that Canadians are fairly irreligious. I think that you are conflating your atheism with the other issues. Acknowledging that you don't believe sets you in opposition with a fair amount of the population. But it shouldn't contribute to isolation.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Why not go with your therapists advice? Join a club at your university. If it's like all other universities, It'll have a club for everything. Heck, there's probably an atheist one.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Media Foxaèr 3 478 September 30, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I no longer accept social distancing. onlinebiker 11 1219 April 13, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  this may be it! Drich 64 5019 April 24, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: no one
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 789 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  This may be farewell. Gawdzilla Sama 49 2184 May 7, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Ya knooow, Monica smells; oh ma gosh!: implicit hate and grudge in social life WinterHold 10 1450 July 20, 2018 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Social media and sexual harrasment GODZILLA 40 5463 July 5, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How would you respond? (A social experiment) Foxaèr 53 5731 March 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  May I be the first to wish you a safe and happy... Gawdzilla Sama 0 523 January 1, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If Trump, Teresa May and Nigel Farage caught fire... Cyberman 7 2981 August 19, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Cyberman