Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winged religious icons.
Winged religious icons.
It is bullshit for Christians to claim that winged icons such as winged lions, Cherubs  or angels are original to Christianity, much less monotheism.
RE: Winged religious icons.
Right.

[Image: 34400.jpg]

Just more stuff that the assholes copied from older and wiser cultures.
(March 18, 2018 at 1:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Right.

[Image: 34400.jpg]

Just more stuff that the assholes copied from older and wiser cultures.

I wouldn't call older polytheism wiser. Nobody back then had a Stephen Hawking.
I've never heard anyone argue that the idea of creatures with wings that don't normally have them, are original to christianity. I mean, I'm pretty sure pegasus from greek myth is older than christianity or judaism, and everyone knows pegasus.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 18, 2018 at 1:48 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I've never heard anyone argue that the idea of creatures with wings that don't normally have them, are original to christianity. I mean, I'm pretty sure pegasus from greek myth is older than christianity or judaism, and everyone knows pegasus.

Not the point.

The point is every religion argues originality, and there is no such thing. Humans were making up shit long before the first written language.

I was just watching a travel show about Venice Italy, and the narrator mentioned a church with a winged lion on it denoting St Mark. Point is that anthropomorphism isn't unique to Christianity or any monotheism.

Humans came up with winged hero mythology even independently worldwide. Humans saw birds flying and desired to have that same ability.

Flying in antiquity was s symbol of freedom, and the lion a symbol of power.  Winged aggressive animals depicted in mythology(which is what all religions are) also exist in Asia. How many winged dragons do you see in their religious artwork?
(March 18, 2018 at 1:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 18, 2018 at 1:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Just more stuff that the assholes copied from older and wiser cultures.

I wouldn't call older polytheism wiser. Nobody back then had a Stephen Hawking.

IDK. Maybe they were wiser in that they didn't believe in deities who micromanaged their lives. Sure, Osiris might not really exist... but he doesn't look on with a furrowed brow while you maturbate either.
(March 18, 2018 at 2:03 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(March 18, 2018 at 1:39 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I wouldn't call older polytheism wiser. Nobody back then had a Stephen Hawking.

IDK. Maybe they were wiser in that they didn't believe in deities who micromanaged their lives. Sure, Osiris might not really exist... but he doesn't look on with a furrowed brow while you maturbate either.

No sorry, for that logic to work you still have to prove that a god or gods are needed as the starting point. Jefferson thought the same thing of the biblical god. He thought that the God of the bible set everything in motion then stepped aside.

It is simply less authoritarian logic but still based on the claim that invisible beings pull our strings.
Going by my username, am I a winged religious icon?
Dying to live, living to die.
All religions evolved from older versions. Animist religions came before polytheism and monotheism, so the practice of applying features to gods such as wings, horns, fur, fangs, goes back even further than writing I am sure.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(March 18, 2018 at 1:48 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I've never heard anyone argue that the idea of creatures with wings that don't normally have them, are original to christianity. I mean, I'm pretty sure pegasus from greek myth is older than christianity or judaism, and everyone knows pegasus.

Some of the boards denizens would argue that the pagan pegasus myth was somehow derived from their Totally Christian™ bedtime stories.

That all god stories are original to their god story, as the orignial god story.

Some People™ are fucking idiots...but they do exist.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!