Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearing 40
Nearing 40
Still about a year and a half away, but I thought I would bring it up now.

I remember when I was a kid, I thought teenagers were old and that people in their thirties were ancient.

Now that I am almost forty, I don't even feel that I am old. Rather, I feel as though I can comfortably live another forty years.

What is/was your experience with aging?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Nearing 40
I've got this nagging feeling that scientists will find a way to stop aging right after I'm too old to get a hard on. Probably the worst possible outcome.

I have had a similar experience as you. I feel 21 mentally.
I just turned 55 and I feel mostly the same as when I was 25. The main differences are a bit more aches in the joints. Exercise helps that. Also, I am breathing better now than at 25: the meds are better for asthma now.
(April 6, 2018 at 8:35 am)Lutrinae Wrote: What is/was your experience with aging?

Never trust a fart. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Due to some health issues, my life is, hopefully just starting at 37. I didn't get to do a lot of the things that people in their 20's and early to mid 30's do when I was those ages. Some things I think I still will not be able to do, due to circumstances.
hehe i had the same...when i was a kid i thought that people after 30 are old....very old😜
But now when I'm after 40 ... I feel pretty good ... my life started with my 40 ... so being older is not so bad ... and sometimes I feel like my 27 ... even more often than i should hehe😁
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
Just pack it in, it's all downhill after 40!

Just kidding. I feel better in my 40s physically and especially mentally than I ever did in my 20s and 30s.

With experience, it's much easier to troubleshoot life's issues. And I've found it's much easier now to weed out people who don't belong in my life.

-Teresa
I joined the USN right out of high school. Maturity delayed for 20 years.

After I retired I had a steady income and no work. Maturity forestalled.

I went to Purdue for fourteen straight years after retirement. Maturity unattained.

Now I'm skiing down hill to avoid exerting any effort. Maturity ignored.
Faces never seems to stop making skin. That's my big takeaway. Too much face skin.
I definitely have a lot more pain than I did when I was in my twenties. I always used to feel indestructible. I could sleep a couple of hours, eat whatever I wanted, sporadically workout, and workout hard, without any consequences. Life is different for me now. I wouldn't say I feel old so much as I feel sore.