Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shroud of Turin more legit after research?
Shroud of Turin more legit after research?
Question from Bubsy:

this is a question I found on "AsktheAtheist" and I would like to get some of your impressions. Jesus was only in a tomb for 3 days, and yet the shroud seems very impressive! 

"I suggest you watch this video, which is a summary video that shows all the relevant articles from 2009 upwards instead of going to the articles one by one. It’s faster and easier. [2018 UPDATE! SHROUD OF TURIN REVEALS SECRETS | STRANGE END TIMES SIGNS () Within it at the 3:25 minute marker it has information on: The ultraviolet light necessary to do so “exceeds the maximum number release from all ultra-violet light sources available today” and It would require “pulses having durations shorter than one-forthy-billionth of a second, and intensities on the order of several billion watts” ***********

Back to my point: * The evidence they have found is that the image is no oil painting and it is caused by light in the UVB range at burst of several million micro seconds and energy release of everal billion kilowatts. * Science has literally confirmed it is a crucified man and that the image has been produced by no natural light but a light that is several billion kw of energy and bursts of light as short as a millionth of a second. * It was highly superficial but strong enough to cause an imprint. * Christian imagines what Jesus looks like and this comes indirectly from the Shroud image that was responsible for most of the early portraits of Jesus from 300 A.D. Therefore: Since our greatest minds can not conceive of how the image was made except by supernatural means, perhaps logic dictates the Shroud is physical evidence of a supernatural event – the resurrection of Jesus."

Thoughts about the light burst?

()
RE: Shroud of Turin more legit after research?
Creation science is not science. Nice try, though.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The best explanation to date is that the Shroud is a painting, not a burial cloth, and dates from the Middle Ages, not the 1st century.  No burst of ultraviolet light required.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Reminds me of this one building here in Clearwater, Florida. A water sprinkler hit the windows of a building just right and caused an image to appear on the side of the building that looked like the silhouette of the Virgin Mary. People flocked to the damn thing as though it was holy when it was nothing of the sort. I'm sure their silly instruments provided them with all the information to support their gullibility, however.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
These people, whoever they are, do not understand laser or any other energy delivery description. The general description is in Joules, not Watts. They clearly don't know their physics. FAIL. It's been discredited by radiocarbon dating and inspection of the pigments used, many of which did not exist either in the region of the putative jeebus, or in that time period.

So, geography, time, chemistry and physics fail. Not more legit.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Or they could have just looked at the herringbone weave and noticed that this was highly unusual for a burial shroud in 1st century Jesusalem. Or that carbon dating on it dated it between 1260 and 1390.

And maybe they could have noticed that it didn't jibe with this little passage from the Gospel of John:

John 20:6-7 Wrote:Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself…

Notice that this description blatantly contradicts the Shroud, because the Shroud has a whole face, while John describes it as being wrapped separately from it. So, believers have two options to deal with this discrepancy: either the Shroud of Turin (which has a whole face) is not the burial shroud of Jesus, or the Gospel of John erred in its description of Jesus' burial shroud. Naturally, both possibilities can be true simultaneously, but either one is a huge blow for the Shroud's believers.

TL;DR: The Shroud of Turin is about as canonical as the Manger Babies.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
This was a waste of my time. Don't do it again.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 7, 2018 at 10:21 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: This was a waste of my time. Don't do it again.

:wrist slap emoji: Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(April 7, 2018 at 8:46 pm)orthodox-man Wrote: Question from Bubsy:

this is a question I found on "AsktheAtheist" and I would like to get some of your impressions. Jesus was only in a tomb for 3 days, and yet the shroud seems very impressive! 

"I suggest you watch this video, which is a summary video that shows all the relevant articles from 2009 upwards instead of going to the articles one by one. It’s faster and easier. [2018 UPDATE! SHROUD OF TURIN REVEALS SECRETS | STRANGE END TIMES SIGNS () Within it at the 3:25 minute marker it has information on: The ultraviolet light necessary to do so “exceeds the maximum number release from all ultra-violet light sources available today” and It would require “pulses having durations shorter than one-forthy-billionth of a second, and intensities on the order of several billion watts” ***********

Back to my point: * The evidence they have found is that the image is no oil painting and it is caused by light in the UVB range at burst of several million micro seconds and energy release of everal billion kilowatts. * Science has literally confirmed it is a crucified man and that the image has been produced by no natural light but a light that is several billion kw of energy and bursts of light as short as a millionth of a second. * It was highly superficial but strong enough to cause an imprint. * Christian imagines what Jesus looks like and this comes indirectly from the Shroud image that was responsible for most of the early portraits of Jesus from 300 A.D. Therefore: Since our greatest minds can not conceive of how the image was made except by supernatural means, perhaps logic dictates the Shroud is physical evidence of a supernatural event – the resurrection of Jesus."

Thoughts about the light burst?

()

So do you actually have the actual shroud with unimpeachable provenance?  Regardless this is just loony tunes.

Come on people. I am waiting for someone to post that pug's butt with the actual image of Jesus on it. I'm too old for this new fangled technology. Someone throw me a bone.
I’ll take, “I don’t give a shit” for $1,000, Alex!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bombardier Challenger 604 'totaled' after A380 wake turbulence event vorlon13 1 709 June 14, 2017 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Dr. Graham Phillips research on meditation Little Rik 3 946 June 12, 2016 at 6:15 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Who the hell believes this is a legit study I ask? Mystical 6 1431 May 7, 2014 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Research shows radiometric dating still reliable (again) orogenicman 7 3077 November 16, 2010 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: orogenicman