Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time zone
Time zone
Every year, I come across this little annoyance which is how the forum handles time zones.
For the most part, it's alright. Post times correspond to the time zone times, but the kudos page seems to be stuck on GMT.
So, for half the year, that lines up with my timezone (UK time), but for the summer half, there's an hour shift, as the UK and Portugal move on to BST.
Can the kudos page be tweaked to account for Daylight Saving Time?

I have no idea if this works properly in other timezones, or if the kudos page is really stuck on GMT for everyone... I guess then the tweak would be more of accounting for the user's timezone.
RE: Time zone
Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It's on GMT for me also, and I'm in the USA.

Given that GMT is the universal standard for time, it makes sense to stick with it.
(April 12, 2018 at 8:43 am)pocaracas Wrote: Every year, I come across this little annoyance which is how the forum handles time zones.
For the most part, it's alright. Post times correspond to the time zone times, but the kudos page seems to be stuck on GMT.
So, for half the year, that lines up with my timezone (UK time), but for the summer half, there's an hour shift, as the UK and Portugal move on to BST.

I have no idea if this works properly in other timezones, or if the kudos page is really stuck on GMT for everyone... I guess then the tweak would be more of accounting for the user's timezone.

It’s incorrect for half of my year and for the other half it’s still incorrect hehe
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(April 12, 2018 at 8:43 am)pocaracas Wrote: Every year, I come across this little annoyance which is how the forum handles time zones.

Bob Dillon, "Time zones to the left of me, Time Zones to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with GMT."
Yeah, kudos is on GMT, and I'm definitely not on GMT, being in Ca. and stuff.

It does make sense on some level, but then I keep having to look up the conversion. And then there's DST, so gotta watch out for that.

I'm a lazy ol' geezer. Get off my lawn (which is actually a 2nd-floor deck, so don't do that. You'll hurt yourself).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I suspect it's stored as GMT in the database, so constructing the kudos page is just a simple database query. Adjusting for the specifics of the user profile would require getting the data from both and massaging the kudos data to account for the user data. I doubt it's worth the trouble.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 12, 2018 at 3:37 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I suspect it's stored as GMT in the database, so constructing the kudos page is just a simple database query.  Adjusting for the specifics of the user profile would require getting the data from both and massaging the kudos data to account for the user data.  I doubt it's worth the trouble.

It's something that's done for every single post of the forum.
How hard can it be to copy whatever's already being done for other dates throughout the forum?
Poca, how did you notice, and more importantly, why do you even care?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 12, 2018 at 7:32 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Poca, how did you notice, and more importantly, why do you even care?

OCD?