Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you reading/was the last thing you read?
What are you reading/was the last thing you read?
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Media section. There's an older thread there about rating the last thing you read, but I don't really care about ratings, and I think it's unfair to limit it to completed books.

I'm currently reading Dune for the first time (I know!). I've seen bits and pieces of the David Lynch film, and most of the miniseries that was on Sci-Fi back in the day (which was excellent). I'm only in the introduction (I'm surprised at how much of the beginning takes place away from Arrakis), but I'm enjoying it. It's interesting to see the Bene Gesserit's plans more or less spelled out from the start. I wasn't expecting that.
RE: What are you reading/was the last thing you read?
Things That Bother Me by Galen Strawson

Quotes regarding the book:

"Galen Strawson is one of the cleverest men alive." --Ian McEwan

"In this collection of essays, Strawson enables lay readers to see a philosopher at work....Strawson's skill at argument, highly personal views, and immense learning make this book ideal for anyone interested in philosophy. Comparable to Thomas Nagel's The Last Word." --Library Journal, starred review

"Galen Strawson's Things That Bother Me is, despite its title, no collection of complaints. Rather, Strawson invokes the notion of being bothered in the largest sense, engaging with the ideas, or conditions of living, that will not leave him alone. He is that most unlikely of thinkers, the pragmatic philosopher...The book is accessible and intelligent, written for a diverse range of readers, engaged in both the author's personality and his ideas." --David Ulin, 4Columns

"I found Things That Bother Me captivating, not only for its philosophical insightfulness but also for its wit and pathos. Strawson, by not hiding behind the façade of the impersonal point of view, manages to draw a reader close, even while discussing some rather abstruse topics. It is a rare and wonderful philosopher who can make almost anybody be bothered by the things that bother him." --Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, author of Plato at the Googleplex: Why Philosophy Won't Go Away

"Galen Strawson has a marvelous gift for untangling even the most complex lines in philosophical thinking and laying them straight. He writes with humor, clarity and always from a recognizably human place. Even the most complex and controversial areas in modern philosophy come into the light when you are in his benign company.... He opens windows and finds light-switches like no other philosopher writing today." --Stephen Fry
"Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence" by Max Tegmark.

I haven't started this yet, but my philosophy group is on chapters 3 and 4 of this, and I need an excuse to get out of the house. So, I may do some catchup this week. I don't like Max Tegmark, but I suppose there are worse ways to spend my time.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm jealous of your philosophy group! Wish there were philosophy groups in my local area (as I am unable to travel much).
Re-reading Burroughs' 'Mars' series.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Last Movie You Watched Foxaèr 5437 476047 April 23, 2024 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 561 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  The best thing about ____________ ( fill in blank) onlinebiker 3 307 March 13, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1672 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 682 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2168 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1713 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  Save the best for last person brewer 23 1904 September 16, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 558 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1117 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr