Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An interesting read concerning atheism in america.
An interesting read concerning atheism in america.
An article in the New Yorker that I ran across today. Has some interesting atheist/religion historical information and perspectives. Thought some of you might like it.

Why Are Americans Still Uncomfortable with Atheism?: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/...th-atheism
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: An interesting read concernin atheism in america.
Because free thinking is an abomination.
RE: An interesting read concerning atheism in america.
Another one.

Love thy Neighbour… or not: Christians, but not Atheists, Show High In-Group Favoritism.: https://www.secularismandnonreligion.org...4/snr.136/

Discussion section from the study:

(December 29, 2021 at 11:01 pm)brewer Wrote: Another one.

Love thy Neighbour… or not: Christians, but not Atheists, Show High In-Group Favoritism.: https://www.secularismandnonreligion.org...4/snr.136/

Discussion section from the study:

I read the first one. Atheists may never be trusted. I'll get to this one tomorrow.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
That was an interesting read, brewer. Thanks for sharing.

I learned of Ernestine Rose for the first time. Can't believe I hadn't heard of her before. She's fuckin' awesome.

I also found this bit interesting:

Quote:This kind of apophatic theology has a lot in common with godless mysticism, Gray argues, because saying that God does not exist is not so different from saying that we cannot comprehend God’s existence. In both cases, the material world may be characterized by limited understanding and limitless wonder. That is the charity so seldom extended to atheists in America: the notion that they, too, may be awed by and struggling to make sense of the human and the cosmic. “A godless world is as mysterious as one suffused with divinity, and the difference between the two may be less than you think,” Gray writes.

One of these days I'm going to make a thread about what I call "realistic mysticism"... like that of Thoreau... that holds the natural world as its divine object rather than a god. Not that I practice that sort of mysticism or anything. But I find it interesting, and think it's defensible.
(December 30, 2021 at 3:08 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: That was an interesting read, brewer. Thanks for sharing.

I learned of Ernestine Rose for the first time. Can't believe I hadn't heard of her before. She's fuckin' awesome.

Quote:This kind of apophatic theology has a lot in common with godless mysticism, Gray argues, because saying that God does not exist is not so different from saying that we cannot comprehend God’s existence. In both cases, the material world may be characterized by limited understanding and limitless wonder. That is the charity so seldom extended to atheists in America: the notion that they, too, may be awed by and struggling to make sense of the human and the cosmic. “A godless world is as mysterious as one suffused with divinity, and the difference between the two may be less than you think,” Gray writes.

One of these days I'm going to make a thread about what I call "realistic mysticism"... like that of Thoreau... that holds the natural world as its divine object rather than a god. Not that I practice that sort of mysticism or anything. But I find it interesting, and think it's defensible.

Using divine/divinity/mysticism causes an immediate negative knee jerk reaction for me. Also 'saying that God does not exist is not so different from saying that we cannot comprehend God’s existence'.

I haven't read Gray's work and doubt that I will, it appears to be pop psychology and he's another purveyor of woo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gray_...an_author)

https://www.famousauthors.org/john-gray
(December 30, 2021 at 8:36 am)brewer Wrote:
(December 30, 2021 at 3:08 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: That was an interesting read, brewer. Thanks for sharing.

Using divine/divinity/mysticism causes an immediate negative knee jerk reaction for me. Also 'saying that God does not exist is not so different from saying that we cannot comprehend God’s existence'.

I haven't read Gray's work and doubt that I will, it appears to be pop psychology and he's another purveyor of woo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gray_...an_author)

https://www.famousauthors.org/john-gray

Yeah. A ton of warning bells. I mean, the guy got his degree in "Science of Creative Intelligence" from  Maharishi International University.

I was a little suspicious of some of the things he was saying... such as secular humanism being a stand-in for monotheism. Now it makes a bit more sense. He's prone to crude, uncareful thought, which is fine for a pop sci author. But he is borrowing on some ideas put forth by more careful thinkers.

I wouldn't let the term mysticism bother you. There is an attempt by some to rescue the notion from its religious trappings. In much the same way that meditation was once only practiced in religious circles, but it was secularized and repurposed in psychological therapy as a means to clear one's mind and reduce anxiety.

The question is: is mysticism in the same boat as meditation? Is it fit for secularizing and repurposing? 

Or is it just nonsense like "the power of prayer" and a myriad other things that, unlike meditation, have no use for a nonbeliever?
Out of free articles. I will say, though, that with respect to secular humanism being a standin for other religions - yeah..and there's even an actual religion of secular humanism. Part of the reason, in my experience, that a christian person (and by extension a christian country) is uncomfortable with atheism is that religious views are ethical and political views, and people tend to be wary when a person rejects their ethical and political views. What will they do? The rejection of christianity is taken to be a rejection of more than just the idea of a god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Humanism used to be usually religious, though it seems to have been coopted by Unitarian Universalism in the US, secular humanism distinguishes itself from the former default of religious humanism, though now secular humanism IS the default humanism.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
The list of which superstitions we do or don't use to assert normative principles changes more often than the normative principles do. They're truth statements in search of validation.

Insomuch as people assume that a given validation being invalidated harms the normative assertion, they lose their shit. Tons of threads on this board by the faithful to that effect.

"How can you X without gods?" is just another way of saying "How can this important thing be true if this other unimportant thing isn't?" Secular humanism (and humanism of any kind) succeeds in that it offers the answer to those questions, even in the hypothetical case where the superstition is true, but irrelevant to that answer. Ala, if there are no gods, how can there be right or wrong? Well, here's how..but even if there are...that's still how, and how some god belief is, plainly put..not only factually inaccurate and contextually irrelevant, but morally vacuous or even unacceptable. When or if a person asserts or believes that the proper focus or organization of human society or law is human interest and authority the justification for that holds even if there are gods and even if those gods are powerfully aligned against those interests and even if those gods punish the disobedients and reward the sycophants.

More than anything, the anxiously faithful are uncomfortable with the unbelieving because their justifications and even their very existence preempts their arguments and reduces their gods to obsolescence. This thing that means so much to them that their own identity is bound to it becomes a thinly veiled farce. No one handles that well.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1713 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America".. Brian37 36 3710 February 17, 2020 at 11:32 pm
  Interesting FACTS Cod 37 2732 October 29, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Cod
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 650 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
  What are you reading/was the last thing you read? KevinM1 4 895 April 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Making small talk more interesting Bahana 33 2878 April 9, 2018 at 1:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Most Important Post You'll Read Today BrianSoddingBoru4 4 682 March 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Coming to America Cyberman 49 4178 January 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If Only The Kids Could Read and Count. Minimalist 1 881 August 26, 2017 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Some advice on how to deal with a "interesting" brother in law NuclearEnergy 21 5650 July 3, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Regina