Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Thing In Fiction That Always Causes Me To Facepalm
One Thing In Fiction That Always Causes Me To Facepalm
One thing in fiction that always pisses me off is the Concept of the" deal with the devil cliche" . Were some dope makes a pact with a clearly evil being or uses a clearly evil object to get what they want and it backfires on them. As if they should not have figured that out before making said pact . Classic examples of this are Faust. Were a bored bookworm makes a pact with a being called Mephisto . A being with quite possibly the most evil name ever . His name might as well be Evil Mc Evilson.And surprise surprise it backfires .Or The Monkey's Paw oh yes using a curse monkeys hand to grant wishes surely nothing bad will come of that . Oh yes it backfired. This trope of course has rightly been parodied like The Simpsons episode where Homer sells his soul to the devil (Ned Flanders) for a sandwich.Or the Futurama episode where Bender makes a pact with the robot devil. Overall if you find a wish granting object or an clearly evil entity shows up offering to give you what you want . Just say no .

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUDiSre2UQUwMFYeDQFvj...ZlacaU2ohw]

[Image: retail-religion-demon-faustus-returns_de...16_low.jpg]
[Image: latest?cb=20130720155002]
Was a sandwich really worth it Homer ?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

RE: One Thing In Fiction That Always Causes Me To Facepalm
Those are not sentences that make any sort of sense whatsoever.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 30, 2018 at 11:19 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Those are not sentences that make any sort of sense whatsoever.
How so?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

You know I can see your edits, right?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
For once, I just want to go see a superhero movie where there is no new powerful villain about to destroy the world!

I WANT to see superman or Batman or Ironman just sitting around, feet up, eating pizza and watching Big Bang Theory and laughing out loud.
God knows they've earned a rest, right?

Maybe Superman can fart while laughing and blow a hole in the sofa or something Dunno
Or WonderWoman in the Coles Isle checking out prices for dishwashing liquid on special and wondering if she should get 2?

Or even Thor whipping up a pergola at his holiday home and using a nail gun instead! Why the fuck not!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 30, 2018 at 11:26 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: You know I can see your edits, right?

I reconsidered what you said . Yeah there was some stuff that needed to be edited . Plus i wanted to add some pics for emphasis .  Smile

(April 30, 2018 at 11:46 pm)ignoramus Wrote: For once, I just want to go see a superhero movie where there is no new powerful villain about to destroy the world!

I WANT to see superman or Batman or Ironman just sitting around, feet up, eating pizza and watching Big Bang Theory and laughing out loud.
God knows they've earned a rest, right?

Maybe Superman can fart while laughing and blow a hole in the sofa or something Dunno
Or WonderWoman in the Coles Isle checking out prices for dishwashing liquid on special and wondering if she should get 2?

Or even Thor whipping up a pergola at his holiday home and using a nail gun instead! Why the fuck not!
Yeah but it would be hard to make a movie out of that

Inuit Proverb

Can it be any less boring than B&B, DOOL, etc Dunno

I'd love to see Spiderman see a daddy longlegs in the shower and start screaming like a little girl!

I would relate to that 100%
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 1, 2018 at 12:27 am)ignoramus Wrote: Can it be any less boring than B&B, DOOL, etc :dunno

I'd love to see Spiderman see a daddy longlegs in the shower and start screaming like a little girl!

I would relate to that 100%
True enough

Inuit Proverb

I'd love to see them all at a fancy dress! With normal clothes!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Evil-shmevil. If any magical being wants to grant me wishes - I'll sign whatever deal, using any bodily fluids they want, the consequences be damned. Just putting it out there.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best thing about ____________ ( fill in blank) onlinebiker 3 295 March 13, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 542 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1060 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  The good thing about being forgetful and bills.... Brian37 13 634 July 25, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Always remember... no one 7 636 October 20, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Always lacked coordination....... Brian37 18 1695 December 24, 2018 at 9:39 am
  My cat is the weirdest thing Foxaèr 17 1732 October 9, 2018 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Say the nicest thing about the user above. Mystic 26 1781 October 7, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The biggest thing I've learned as I've got older is... robvalue 80 4719 September 27, 2018 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  The best thing about being dead is ... Gawdzilla Sama 17 1382 June 15, 2018 at 5:19 pm