Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else here published a book?
Anyone else here published a book?
So, has anyone else here published a book? What was your experience?
I've recently published a book called "Jezici za Gimnazijalce" (Languages for High-School Students).
http://www.osijek031.com/osijek.php?najava_id=72741
It's mostly about linguistics and a little about computer science. I thought it would be nice if people knew more about those things than what is taught in Croatian schools (id est, almost nothing).
I've focused mostly on historical linguistics and endangered languages in Europe. I've tried to follow the mainstream science as much as I could, but I couldn't have helped myself but to include some elements of my alternative interpretation of the Croatian toponyms. I don't think that's a big mistake, I've contacted a few professional linguists and they said I could very well be right (though none of them was really specializing in the field).
http://flatassembler.000webhostapp.com/toponyms.html
As for computer science, I was writing something about compiler theory (because I think it's important for beginner programmers to know, for instance, what's a linker or what's a framework, which I think slowed me down a lot because nobody explained me those things), different types of programming languages (because I think that thinking that C++ is the only language widely used in "serious" programs also slowed me down a lot in learning how to program) and the relationship between natural languages and programming languages.
So, what was writing a book like? To be honest, it's very exhausting. It took me over a year to write and edit the text, I am not sure if it was worth all that effort. Furthermore, it caused countless arguments in my family. My parents tried to help me many times, but they knew very little about the topics I was writing about. Most of those times, it just ended up in hours long discussions of me trying to convince them they are wrong. Now I am often afraid I will get criticized for some of the statements I've made, especially, but not exclusively, those about computer science. My understanding of those things got a lot better since I finished the text (about a year ago) and I realize that many of the things I wrote about were poorly explained. I realize that, because I am only 18, most of the people who notice those mistakes will praise my effort instead of harshly criticizing me, but that fear still remains.
RE: Anyone else here published a book?
I haven't but my mom has.
"How Not To Buy a Cruising Boat"...My wife and I published a few years back and it did pretty well.
Yes, but I’ll have to revisit this when I have more time.
I did.

But the authorities suppressed it and there was a fatwa put out on mefrom Iran, Saudi Arabia and, strangely, Bill Gates.
Dying to live, living to die.
I wish.
Almost.  I'm still shopping round my memoir 'My Life In The Luxembourg Mafia'.  The last publisher I submitted it to told me it needed more illustrations, but I can't find my crayolas.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Do you have some comments about the content of my book?
I can't comment on it, as it is not in English. However, I will say that you should fix any mistakes you made. You note that you noticed problems with it yourself. You shouldn't leave them there.
(May 28, 2018 at 3:05 pm)Shell B Wrote: I can't comment on it, as it is not in English. However, I will say that you should fix any mistakes you made. You note that you noticed problems with it yourself. You shouldn't leave them there.

Well, I've contacted Dubravka Ivsic (perhaps the most prominent Croatian etymologist these days) regarding my alternative interpretation of the Croatian toponyms and I've published her responses to the webpage. I think that's the best thing I can do right now about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Atheist married to Pentecostal. Anyone else in this situation? hayabusa2003 27 2366 June 29, 2020 at 12:09 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Did anyone else mail order music albums? Brian37 7 399 February 26, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama