Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did anyone else mail order music albums?
Did anyone else mail order music albums?
I was born in 66.  Throughout the 70s and 80s  my parents forbid me to go to concerts. But after my late adopted father died in the early 80s, my now late mother relaxed BACK THEN on buying stuff through the mail.

I was introduced to not only ABBA, but Queen, and REO Speedwagon through mail order. 

I got not only introduced to Queen, but Foreigner, and REO Speedwagon. 

I am 53, but want to know if others here did the mail order kick and what music artists you brought home.
RE: Did anyone else mail order music albums?
I didn't do the mail order thing.  There was a fairly well stocked music shop in the town and if they didn't have something, they'd order it for you.

I purchased a lot of Clancy Brothers albums.  Pleased my godfather no end.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yes, Columbia House.  Nice way to fill out a collection and hard to pass up for a teenager.  Get 12 albums or 8-tracks free, then you're on the hook for 10 or so at full price.  If you didn't send back the card each month to tell them you didn't want the featured product, they sent it automatically.  That's how I ended up with Gerry Raffertey's Baker Street and my favorite t-shirt.

The baseball tee came with Poco's Legend and was a print of the album cover.  I became a Poco fan.  Gerry Raffertey, not so much.  I recently found and bought a slightly larger version of the shirt.
Navy Exchange for legit, street vendors for bootleg.
I buy them online and when it takes longer than 10 seconds to download (*), I get angry and annoyed.

(*) I always buy the combined cd / mp3 package
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 26, 2020 at 3:01 pm)Ranjr Wrote: Yes, Columbia House.  Nice way to fill out a collection and hard to pass up for a teenager.  Get 12 albums or 8-tracks free, then you're on the hook for 10 or so at full price.  If you didn't send back the card each month to tell them you didn't want the featured product, they sent it automatically.  That's how I ended up with Gerry Raffertey's Baker Street and my favorite t-shirt.

The baseball tee came with Poco's Legend and was a print of the album cover.  I became a Poco fan.  Gerry Raffertey, not so much.  I recently found and bought a slightly larger version of the shirt.

Yep, If I remember correctly the deal was 3 albums for a penny each upon agreeing to a automatic full price 3 album buy, and an automatic rolement to a monthly buy. Same shit happens today with "act now and" crap today too.
Sis and I used to play/learn the piano. We'd love to go to "Allans" in town and buy the sheet music! It really was exciting!
Boy how things have changed.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I found the Columbia House ad in a copy of Oui magazine I bought in Bangkok. I met the requirements the first time I ordered. All those tapes are now at the bottom of the Mekong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Music therapy MR. Macabre 666 17 1071 December 12, 2023 at 10:25 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] Atheist married to Pentecostal. Anyone else in this situation? hayabusa2003 27 2387 June 29, 2020 at 12:09 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Anyone else here published a book? FlatAssembler 9 787 June 25, 2018 at 6:16 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler