Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linguistic diversity should be discouraged
Linguistic diversity should be discouraged
When I was in school in India, I was taught 4 languages: English, Hindi, Kannada and Sanskrit. If that's not bad enough, I spoke a fifth language, Malayalam, at home. It would've been far better if India had just one language; then I may have been able to master it as well as I did English. While nothing can be done about the existence of multiple languages in India or the world, it is surely possible to actively discourage linguistic multiplicity at least at the national level. For example, the federal government can decide to teach a maximum of 2 languages at school. I shudder to think how much time I could have saved if I didn't have to learn all those additional languages.

Thoughts?
RE: Linguistic diversity should be discouraged
I wish I had been smart enough to learn Spanish in high school, instead of the dead Latin language courses I took. All these Spanish people around here, speaking Spanish, and I can't understand them.
It's definitely good to be able to speak multiple languages. Too bad that's not a talent of mine, and my weird schizo brain can almost completely forget skills sometimes (including languages) that I spent a year or more learning.

I have tried to learn Japanese and now I'm trying to learn Spanish.
(May 30, 2018 at 9:12 pm)Kit Wrote: I wish I had been smart enough to learn Spanish in high school, instead of the dead Latin language courses I took.  All these Spanish people around here, speaking Spanish, and I can't understand them.

You may find that latin comes in handy in school. Remember any?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 30, 2018 at 9:27 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(May 30, 2018 at 9:12 pm)Kit Wrote: I wish I had been smart enough to learn Spanish in high school, instead of the dead Latin language courses I took.  All these Spanish people around here, speaking Spanish, and I can't understand them.

You may find that latin comes in handy in school. Remember any?

Nothing, to be honest.  It was a long time ago.
(May 30, 2018 at 9:29 pm)Kit Wrote:
(May 30, 2018 at 9:27 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: You may find that latin comes in handy in school. Remember any?

Nothing, to be honest.  It was a long time ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_me...d_prefixes

Don't see any spanish.
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
(May 30, 2018 at 9:32 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(May 30, 2018 at 9:29 pm)Kit Wrote: Nothing, to be honest.  It was a long time ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_me...d_prefixes

Don't see any spanish.

I'm well aware.  I took Latin in high school because I was planning on entering the medical profession.  I even took classes in high school to train me for earning my CNA.  Of course, I was young and stupid.  Now that I'm older, I am finally course correcting my life.  It's just too bad I don't remember any Latin, specifically, but medical terms are not exactly foreign to me.
(May 30, 2018 at 9:36 pm)Kit Wrote:
(May 30, 2018 at 9:32 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_me...d_prefixes

Don't see any spanish.

I'm well aware.  I took Latin in high school because I was planning on entering the medical profession.  I even took classes in high school to train me for earning my CNA.  Of course, I was young and stupid.  Now that I'm older, I am finally course correcting my life.  It's just too bad I don't remember any Latin, specifically, but medical terms are not exactly foreign to me.

Didn't say they were but I'm sure you'll have a med term class.
My next door neighbor constantly brags that his 22 month old is learning three languages. I dunno. When the kid gets mad he screams unintelligible nonsense like every other 22 month old I’ve ever known. I guess I’m not seeing it. *shrugs*
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  linguistic question Oldandeasilyconfused 5 1418 January 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Meatball