Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race and IQs
Race and IQs
I know this is a taboo topic but you made a choice when you clicked on this thread after reading the title...

I have encountered research by several reputed scientists that says that the mean IQ's of different races are different. They are (for the major races):

East Asians: 105
Whites: 99
South Asians / North Africans: 84
Africans: 70

Mixed races usually have IQ's that lie between the composite races. Blacks in the US have a higher mean (85) than Africans due to a combination of European ancestry and better nutrition.

(There are also scientists who claim that the mean IQ's of different races are exactly equal but fail to provide any evidence supporting this.)

My question: Does merely believing in the validity of such research make a person a racist? Is there any objection to this being taught at schools or universities? For the record, I belong to one of the intellectually inferior races, so I may be being a little slow...
RE: Race and IQs
It's only racist if you believe that a race is superior to other races because of the difference in IQ.

Africans have darker skin than Caucasians. It's not racist to point that out or acknowledge that fact. It is racist if you believe that lighter skinned people are superior because of their skin color, or vice versa.
I would contend that if everybody had equal access to fulfillment of their needs, the differences would be slight.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I recall when Jensenism was a big topic of discussion.  The idea as I recall was that sub-saharan Africans suffered from being isolated from the wider gene pool across Eurasia because of repeated migrations back and forth.

The problem was that sub-saharan Africa was not all that isolated because of virtually continuous contact with Arab/Indian merchants and or slave traders on the East Coast and the activities of traders in West Africa penetrating the desert.  Timbuktu was a center of such trade as shown here:

[Image: 609trade.gif]

Jensenism was dismissed as racist claptrap.
(May 31, 2018 at 3:53 pm)Fireball Wrote: I would contend that if everybody had equal access to fulfillment of their needs, the differences would be slight.

That's not really the point though. Accepting the fact that there are differences between the races doesn't make you a racist.
Nothing racist/taboo about pointing out a fact
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(May 31, 2018 at 4:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 31, 2018 at 3:53 pm)Fireball Wrote: I would contend that if everybody had equal access to fulfillment of their needs, the differences would be slight.

That's not really the point though. Accepting the fact that there are differences between the races doesn't make you a racist.

Indeed.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(May 31, 2018 at 3:18 pm)Tiberius Wrote: It's only racist if you believe that a race is superior to other races because of the difference in IQ.

Africans have darker skin than Caucasians. It's not racist to point that out or acknowledge that fact. It is racist if you believe that lighter skinned people are superior because of their skin color, or vice versa.

I'd also like to point out that not only does intelligence not necessarily make someone superior but I do NOT think IQ tests are an accurate indicator of intelligence. Intelligence is a lot more sophisticated than the ability to pass multiple choice IQ tests within a given time limit. My parents have very high IQs (my dad's is 154 and my mom's is 161) and they both know I'm a lot smarter than they are but I can't be arsed with IQ tests. One I did before had a lot of geometry questions and my visual thinking is appalling. That doesn't make me logically unintelligent. I'm also a slow thinker and these things are timed. But being a slow thinker doesn't make you a bad thinker. I ended up getting the minimum possible score because I didn't finish it within the time limit. Does that make me learning disabled? LOL No way lol. Unanswered questions aren't fails, that's silly.

(May 31, 2018 at 4:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote:

I mean for starters does admitting that asians have higher IQs than whites make me a self-hating white person? No, lol.
(May 31, 2018 at 2:59 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I know this is a taboo topic but you made a choice when you clicked on this thread after reading the title...

I have encountered research by several reputed scientists that says that the mean IQ's of different races are different. They are (for the major races):

East Asians: 105
Whites: 99
South Asians / North Africans: 84
Africans: 70

Mixed races usually have IQ's that lie between the composite races. Blacks in the US have a higher mean (85) than Africans due to a combination of European ancestry and better nutrition.

(There are also scientists who claim that the mean IQ's of different races are exactly equal but fail to provide any evidence supporting this.)

My question: Does merely believing in the validity of such research make a person a racist? Is there any objection to this being taught at schools or universities? For the record, I belong to one of the intellectually inferior races, so I may be being a little slow...

I encourage you to treat an African with IQ of 160 as if he had an IQ of 70 and challenge him to a game of wits to the death. The result might be that the average IQ of humanity will tick up slightly when he has disposed of you.
There could be many reasons for the differences. It could be a genetic difference with races. Or it could be because of the cultural diets, also influenced by how economically developed the country is. Same goes for the how attainable education is for the different countries. After all, the brain is like a muscle in that the more you use it the better it gets, and if you don't use it then it withers away.Or it might be that the those that created the IQ tests tested for the type of intelligence that they do particularly well at and they don't recognise that intelligence isn't just a single attribute.

Just one bit of evidence isn't enough to draw any conclusion. Using this as your entire evidence to argue that one race is inferior than the others would be racist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thought on "race". Gawdzilla Sama 17 1390 August 11, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The future for the human race lifesagift 12 3216 September 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: lifesagift