Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thought on "race".
A thought on "race".
Just spent some time with my eyes closed, ~ two hours. I had to talk to the people around me, reporting sensations and answering questions. Most of the people were remote but a couple of techs were hovering.

The above is only relevant for the rest of this. When my eyes were closed and I was having a chat I couldn't see the person speaking, and "penciled them in" based on how they sounded to me. Having visited over 70 countries on active duty I feel I have a fair sample of voice/language to choose from.

But today I didn't put any faces on anybody. I just listened to lungs, larynx, epiglottis, hard and soft palate, teeth and lips. That struck me in a way I hadn't put too much attention to before. "Under the Skin", a lamentable movie starring Scarlett Johansen as an alien who comes to Earth to, you guessed it, harvest humans for food, wears a human suit for most of the movie. Yay naked Scarlett!

Anyway, the thought came to me that she might not have any or all of the sound making items we have, or most of us have barring natural and accidental modifications of the original pattern.

"Race" is an external thing and can vary. The parts we're born with are very much common to humans. One layer of epidermis it truly irrelevant at that level. So making a big deal out of a millimeter or so of tissue just doesn't make sense.

Tired ramble may continue. After this incoming needle of junk. 'night.
RE: A thought on "race".
If only the fact that race is essentially a bullshit concept that only exists because we allow it to were enough to strip it of its power.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I am racist, I only talk to members of the human race! (and cats)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

...the dogs sit quietly and listen to their betters.
grrrrrrrrrrr...........
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 13, 2023 at 4:25 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: If only the fact that race is essentially a bullshit concept that only exists because we allow it to were enough to strip it of its power.

um............... the concept applies in medicine. Just sayin.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 13, 2023 at 5:58 pm)brewer Wrote:
(June 13, 2023 at 4:25 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: If only the fact that race is essentially a bullshit concept that only exists because we allow it to were enough to strip it of its power.

um............... the concept applies in medicine. Just sayin.

Genetics applies in medicine.
I'm just gonna post this here.

[Image: 6QOh5df.jpg]
Race and skin color is just a convenient red herring.     We don’t need it to demonstrate what a waste of skin many of us are, whatever color the skin may be.     there is no moral difference between racism and nationalism.
(June 13, 2023 at 6:36 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Race and skin color is just a convenient red herring.     We don’t need it to demonstrate what a waste of skin many of us are, whatever color the skin may be.     there is no moral difference between racism and nationalism.

Racism is rooted in laziness.  Too hard to get to know someone before judging them.  Skin color you can just do it at a glance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Race and IQs Alexmahone 180 18736 June 3, 2018 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  I thought this was going to be about gun violence. brewer 3 692 March 14, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Just a food for thought definitecomplex 5 645 April 1, 2017 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Okay - Interesting thought Minimalist 6 1267 March 8, 2016 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Exian
  The future for the human race lifesagift 12 3216 September 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  We've been using tools longer than we thought... Creed of Heresy 6 2865 December 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  They were able to record a thought being formed in a zebrafish. Annik 3 2085 February 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy