Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the World Survive the Impending Oil Crisis?
Can the World Survive the Impending Oil Crisis?
Quote:The alarm bells have started ringing as surveys indicate that oil will become increasingly scarce beyond 2030 at the present rate of consumption.

http://oil-price.net/en/articles/survive...crisis.php

Can it?
RE: Can the World Survive the Impending Oil Crisis?
Yes it can.
Time will tell.
It will tell, but you will just trumpet some other apocalyptic forecast in the hopes of serving the same purpose.
By the world I gather you mean us and our system. Us and our current selfish and wasteful system, probably not.

I've been pretty much convinced of these things for some years:

That world oil production has already peaked and is in decline.

The demand for oil is increasing exponentially. Supply is not and will not.

Idiot politicians continue to play the parcel until they are out of office. My perception is that we need huge amounts renewable energy NOW,but don't have it. Nor will it be available until the situation is dire and massively profitable and even that is not guaranteed.

I think renewable energy would be less of a problem without consumerism. For that to happen we need to come to understand material standard of living is not the same as quality of life.

All economic,religious and political systems are temporary. Our entire civilisation WILL eventually pass away. Only a fraction of our current world population is needed for our species to survive.With any luck, I'll be dead before the situation ever reaches severe personal inconvenience.
(December 6, 2010 at 11:31 pm)Chuck Wrote: It will tell, but you will just trumpet some other apocalyptic forecast in the hopes of serving the same purpose.

Your little rocket ship won't fly far without fuel, will it. Wink

And what purpose would that be? Apart from stating the obvious.

Also read the article. It dosen't say anything about an apocalyptic outcome. It states that things will become very expensive.

Hopefully, we will wake up in time and move towards a clean future.

I'll be long dead and forgotten by the year 2030.

So.......

[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Yes it can, anything is possible. As to whether or not it will, is a very different question. Also the question of peak oil is not so much one of scarcity of oil, but scarcity of oil that can be easily and profitably extracted. We're finding more oil now than we ever have, it's just fucking impossible to get at.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
(December 6, 2010 at 10:40 pm)ib.me.ub Wrote: Can it?

I would say yes, but I would also state that it wouldn't come out of the crisis unscathed.
I imagine it would be a terrible time to live but I highly doubt it would be the end of the world.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
I don't know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York City's video on how to survive a nuclear attack. Jehanne 50 2848 January 12, 2023 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Peak Oil? Jehanne 29 1692 November 11, 2021 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Coconut Oil for the hair? Foxaèr 29 3072 May 31, 2018 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How long could you survive... Gawdzilla Sama 26 3458 April 12, 2017 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So, the driver gets eaten by wild boars or dropped in boiling oil ?? vorlon13 12 1503 September 3, 2016 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Zombie Apocalypse: Plan and Survive. frankiej 57 11951 September 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: frankiej
Question Oil Change? KawaiiKoneko 8 2790 June 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: KawaiiKoneko
  The economic crisis josef rosenkranz 6 2319 December 18, 2008 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet