Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another reason to accept evolution.....
Another reason to accept evolution.....
I just realized how much I hate the word "instinct". So I am outside smoking a cig, and notice my friend's cat with something long and furry in it's mouth, couldn't tell what it was at first, but as I came closer I saw that it was a squirrel. I really could not be mad at the cat, but I was, shouted at it to drop it. Moreso because of the potential diseases, but admittedly emotionally I like squirrels. It ran and hid from me in a shed, but I followed, chased the cat away, again, moreso because of disease. Grabbed a garbage bag and picked it up and put it in it.

I can't stay mad at the cat because of EVOLUTION, not "instinct". There is a reason we call them cats, like we do tigers and lions. 

Humans kill too, and even just in sport, like this cat did. It didn't do that for food, my friend feeds that family of cats very well. It hunted that squirrel just like a kid plays an arcade game, or a family member goes shopping for a gift for you. It is quite common for cats to bring home dead animals because they are saying, "Hey, look what I did for you."

It is evolution. Life seeks resource, even in play, just like we humans like high scores in video games or "likes" on Facebook. Emotional reward to an animal can be merely capturing and killing, but not eating. Just like a arcade shooting video game you are not really killing anyone.

In young animals especially there is a lot of play interaction, just like kids. That play isn't real adult critical thinking of course, but the play stalking and fighting is how animals learn to survive and fend for themselves. This is not "instinct" this is evolution.
RE: Another reason to accept evolution.....
There is only one reason not to accept evolution and that is people who are so fucking stupid that they insist that fairy tales are real.

It isn't a good reason, but it is all they have.
(June 7, 2018 at 4:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: There is only one reason not to accept evolution and that is people who are so fucking stupid that they insist that fairy tales are real.

It isn't a good reason, but it is all they have.

Problem is you always have the morons, who when you state that reality, they say, "Oh so anything goes" or "might makes right:".

No morons. Life also evolved with empathy and compassion. I'd bet if you raised a kitten and squirrel together from birth, they'd be more likely to see each other as kin rather than food sources or rivals.

That same family who owns the cats, saved a squirrel and now have it in a large cage in their house as a pet. Unlike the other squirrels who will run away from you in the wild, it sees humans as it's friends and family because it was raised at birth.

I think the worst my cat would do, being indoor and spoiled, would not attack that squirrel if it were my pet, out of fun like a toy, but because I raised him alone, would be jealous, and I did once try to bring another stray in and he flipped out.
Quote:Problem is you always have the moron

The jails are full of them.
[Image: kuPHwWUJ_o.jpg]

Yeah a real mind-boggler - Bible or science?

[Image: 8Ct9EHec_o.png]

[Image: MNEZRGeC_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Just until recently I did not know why tigers with their orange and white and black stripes could stalk their prey so well. Turns out most of their prey are COLOR BLIND, so they  cant see the tiger mostly in monotone shades that blend in with foliage they stalk in.
Another reason?

You mean that evolution is a fact and overwhelming evidence isn't enough?
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 7, 2018 at 7:31 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Another reason?

You mean that evolution is a fact and overwhelming evidence isn't enough?

My phrasing isn't for the sane, but for those who know the right wing is bat shit insane, but waffle on the other crap.
There is a proverb that say.......He who laughs last, laughs best.......... Lightbulb

That will be the case when the one who say that creation come first and evolution follow will be proven correct so both creation and evolution are real.
At that stage both creationists and atheists will lick their wounds in shame.  Smile
Another reason:

your vorlon will insist on a laying on of the hands to cure a believer should they contract an evolved germ instead of the latest antibiotics.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it.