Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Americans Spirituality
Native Americans Spirituality
Twelve teachings of the Sacred Tree

1. Wholeness. All things are interrelated. Everything in the universe is part of a single whole. Everything is connective in some way to everything else. It is therefore possible to understand something only if we can understand how it is connected to everything else.
  2. Change. All of creation is in a state of constant change. Nothing stays the same except the presence of cycle upon cycle of change. One season falls upon the other. Human beings are born, live their lives, die and enter the spirit world. All things change. There are two kinds of change. The coming together of things (development) and the coming apart of things (disintegration). Both of these kinds of change are necessary and are always connected to each other.
  3. Change occurs in cycles or patterns. They are not random or accidental. Sometimes it is difficult to see how a particular change is connected to everything else. This usually means that our standpoint (the situation from which we are viewing the change) is limiting our ability to see clearly.
  4. The seen and the unseen. The physical world is real. The spiritual world is real. These two are aspects of one reality. Yet, there are separate laws which govern each of them. Violation of spiritual laws can affect the spiritual world. A balanced life is one that honours the laws of both of these dimensions of reality.
  5. Human beings are spiritual as well as physical.
  6. Human beings can always acquire new gifts, but they must struggle to do so. The timid may become courageous, the weak may become bold and strong, the insensitive may learn to care for the feelings of others and the materialistic person can acquire the capacity to look within and to listen to her inner voice. The process human beings use to develop new qualities may be called “true learning”.
  7. There are four dimensions of “true learning”. These four aspects of every person’s nature are reflected in the four cardinal points of the medicine wheel.Cardinal points of the medicine wheel
    These four aspects of our being are developed through the use of our volition It cannot be said that a person has totally learned in a whole and balanced manner unless all four dimensions of her being have been involved in the process.
    [Image: hopimedicinewheel.jpg]
  8. The spiritual dimension of human development may be understood in terms of four related capacities – (a) the capacity to have and to respond to realities that exist in a non-material way such as dreams, visions, ideals, spiritual teachings, goals and theories; (b) the capacity to accept those realities as a reflection (in the form of symbolic represenation) of unknown or unrealised potential to do or be something more or different than we are now; © the capacity to express these non-material realties using symbols such as speech, art or mathematics; (d) the capacity to use this symbolic expression to guide future action – action directed towards making what was only seen as a possibility into a living reality.
  9. Human beings must be active participants in the unfolding of their own potentialities.
  10. The doorway through which all must pass if they wish to become more or different than they are now is the doorway of the will (volition). A person must decide to take the journey. The path has infinite patience. It will always be there for those who decide to travel it.
  11. Anyone who sets out (i.e. makes a commitment and then acts on that commitment) on a journey of self-development will be aided. There will be guides and teachers who will appear, and spiritual protectors to watch over the traveller. No test will be given that the traveler does not already have the strength to meet.
  12. The only source of failure on a journey will be the traveler’s own failure to follow the teachings of the Sacred Tree.
Wherein both will be those (maidens) restraining their glances upon their husbands, whom no man or jinn yatmithhunna (has opened their hymens with sexual intercourse) before them (Quran  55:56, Mushin)
RE: Native Americans Spirituality
And this differs from the gobbledegook of other religions how, exactly?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Much better than Christianity...

I don't recall Jesus smoking the peace pipe Bong
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Am I the only one who is missing the point of creating this thread?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Why do you ask 2 dogs f .... oh shit, we're gonna turn this into Indian naming jokes now!~ lol (may as well, don't want to waste a perfectly good thread, do we?)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Apaches liked to tie captives upside down over a low fire just to see how they handled the situation. Great Spirit was officially neutral.
That sounds suspiciously like the shite Chakotay used come up with to duck out of work on Voyager.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Years ago I dated a heyoka. While I realize their explanation and significance they assign of the trait is wrong (incomplete if I'm in a generous mood) they did better perhaps than most/all western faiths have in that regard.

Significantly, the man I dated had not been exposed to any Native American explanation of his condition, and yet exhibited 'classic' signs of it. Compare that to 'possessed' Catholics who don't seem to be able to do their possession correctly unless they have previously encountered one or been (inadvertently) instructed in how to do it.

"Famous" heyokas: Younger Bear in Little Big Man, and John Dunbar in Dances With Wolves.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Every time I know someone who's going to America, I ask them to bring me back an Indian arrowhead and they never do.

I thought those things are abundant over there.

I think there's something to it. With the spiritual nature of the earth being a less evident higher level order/systems. And the spiritual nature of man being some less evident governing objectives.

They aren't actually spiritual of course. But whether you refer to 'finding purpose in life' as spiritual or something a little more accurate doesn't seem too important. Although it could certainly lead down the path to stupid behavior.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Truth contest, Essential Oils and New Age Spirituality AceBoogie 51 10961 November 19, 2016 at 4:02 am
Last Post: Alex K