Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eskimos and Amish!
Eskimos and Amish!
You know, I was thinking.
If the world only consisted of these 2 groups of people, we wouldn't have global warming or polluted oceans!

Sure, there'd be a few extra species extinct and the world would probably be under 12 foot of horse shit, but really what's not to love about living the old ways?

The invention of the transistor and polyester has killed off the old ways for good ...
I really miss my VCR, analogue phone, kerosine heater, alcohol, bow and arrow! ................phew!

[Image: 2d3dc1.jpg]

[Image: 2d3daj.jpg]

Disclaimer: I had to photoshop the eskimos teeth in because I couldn't find one with all their teeth intact!
Disclaimer2: Those Amish girls look normal but they're all born with tails Dunno No biggie ...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Eskimos and Amish!
LOL have you ever actually been around Amish people?

I live less than 15 miles from the nearest Amish family and I can tell you for sure that they do not allow their picture to be taken. It's rare that they allow technology into their lives. I can say that they do accept rides from people. Especially when going to the children's hospital in Hershey. Because of the vast amount of inbreeding, medical issues are often present in the children. When I would take my oldest up to Hershey for her appointments, I always ran into at least one or two Amish families and wondered how they got there since I saw no horses on the property.

Anyway - They do have to have some of the "modern day" conveniences in life. They have to sell goods and services. Many of the Amish men here own or work in construction. They raise barns and help build houses in the country. They make furniture and sheds and sell them at farmer's markets. Many make baked goods and sell their fruits and vegetables at the farmer's markets as well. And then of course, they are famous for their puppy mills, which I hate the most. They are known to be abusive to their livestock, especially overworking their horses.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
“Medical issues are often found in the children...”

...so are adults, I hear...

👀
Dying to live, living to die.
wow, you girls are a barrel of laughs for a Friday afternoon!

Dodgy

I wanna hear some clubbing jokes dammit! (or else I'll smack the cat!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
1. Were the Inuit not Eskimos (a derogatory insult meaning  eater of raw meat  ) 

2. Most of us live at least semi modern lives were not really like Amish they choose not to have technology in our case it was more being poor and isolated for the source of said technology .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

The Amish are certainly creative(pun?) with town names.

Paradise
Intercourse
Fertility
Blue Ball
Mount Joy
Climax
Hosensack
Lickingville
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 28, 2018 at 11:34 pm)ignoramus Wrote: You know, I was thinking.
If the world only consisted of these 2 groups of people, we wouldn't have global warming or polluted oceans!

[...]

Maybe. But with 7 billion Amish and Eskimos, we probably also wouldn't have trees or polar ice caps, because they'd have been used up for barns and igloos, respectively.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(June 28, 2018 at 11:45 pm)Joods Wrote: LOL have you ever actually been around Amish people?

I live less than 15 miles from the nearest Amish family and I can tell you for sure that they do not allow their picture to be taken. It's rare that they allow technology into their lives. I can say that they do accept rides from people. Especially when going to the children's hospital in Hershey. Because of the vast amount of inbreeding, medical issues are often present in the children. When I would take my oldest up to Hershey for her appointments, I always ran into at least one or two Amish families and wondered how they got there since I saw no horses on the property.

Anyway - They do have to have some of the "modern day" conveniences in life. They have to sell goods and services. Many of the Amish men here own or work in construction. They raise barns and help build houses in the country. They make furniture and sheds and sell them at farmer's markets. Many make baked goods and sell their fruits and vegetables at the farmer's markets as well. And then of course, they are famous for their puppy mills, which I hate the most. They are known to be abusive to their livestock, especially overworking their horses.

The thing about technology is about provided services like gas and electricity right? So they aren't dependent on them/in bondage?
(June 29, 2018 at 10:06 am)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: The thing about technology is about provided services like gas and electricity right? So they aren't dependent on them/in bondage?

They don't use any of that on their own. They also don't use machinery that requires the use of fuel or electricity. They hand sew everything. I'm not sure how they keep their food cold but they do make things like cheese and yogurt from goats milk.

They will go into a store or a restaurant to eat.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Quote:Many outsiders assume the Amish reject all new technology. But that's not true.

One Amish man in Lancaster County, Pa., checks his voicemail about four times a day. His shop is equipped with a propane-powered forklift, hydraulic-powered saws, cordless drills, and a refrigerated tank where milk from dairy cows is stored.

The difference between Amish people and most other Americans is the deliberation that takes place before deciding whether to embrace a new technology. Many Americans assume newer technology is always better, and perhaps even inherently good.

"The Amish don't buy that," says Donald Kraybill, professor at Elizabethtown College and co-author of The Amish. "They're more cautious — more suspicious — wondering is this going to be helpful or is it going to be detrimental? Is it going to bolster our life together, as a community, or is it going to somehow tear it down?"

There are 40 different Amish affiliations around the country, according to Kraybill, and they often reach different conclusions in answering those questions.

"Some of the subgroups are very conservative, very isolated and doing very well protecting their way of life because they basically reject much more technology than the more progressive ones," he says.

Kraybill says the process takes place from the ground-up — people try out new technologies and then leaders ultimately determine whether they are acceptable or not.

NPR: Amish Community Not Anti-Technology, Just More Thoughtful
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]