Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IoT: Your thought and views
IoT: Your thought and views
Recently I had the dubious pleasure of attending a Micro$ucks boot camp for IoT.
This event was all about their Azure and related products. I was appalled at the amount of
personal (On the consumer side) information M$ collects and the caviler attitude towards privacy concerns, which I have always
suspected/known.
I pointed out to the instructors that from a business perspective IoT can have some really cool and practical applications, but
from a consumer perspective it scares the hell out of me. I pointed out that with a house with complete
inter connectivity of IoT, from the door locks on, I could see some really frightening and horrendous things happening.
I concluded this small rant with the observation that just because you can doesn't mean you should.
The resulting silence and looks (Kinda like the looks I get from talibangelists when I challenge their beliefs) from the instructors was telling. 

So in short I'm not a fan of IoT for anything but industry and think this shit should be regulated out the ass.

Just my idle thoughts on this tech.

Edit: I should have prefaced this with the disclosure that I'm an engineer in the computer industry.
RE: IoT: Your thought and views
I have no idea what any of that means.  Thank you.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's more control disguised as convenience.
Like our smart meters here in Au.
They (gas/electricity suppliers) can communicate with them remotely now... Sounds nice enough, until you find out that the power/gas companies can now track our usage, our habits, when we're home, when we're not, etc.... The intrusiveness just doesn't end....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
"Sorry, you can't make toast, the internet is down!"
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(June 30, 2018 at 7:59 am)oldpollock Wrote: Recently I had the dubious pleasure of attending a Micro$ucks boot camp for IoT.
This event was all about their Azure and related products. I was appalled at the amount of
personal (On the consumer side) information M$ collects and the caviler attitude towards privacy concerns, which I have always
suspected/known.
I pointed out to the instructors that from a business perspective IoT can have some really cool and practical applications, but
from a consumer perspective it scares the hell out of me. I pointed out that with a house with complete
inter connectivity of IoT, from the door locks on, I could see some really frightening and horrendous things happening.
I concluded this small rant with the observation that just because you can doesn't mean you should.
The resulting silence and looks (Kinda like the looks I get from talibangelists when I challenge their beliefs) from the instructors was telling. 

So in short I'm not a fan of IoT for anything but industry and think this shit should be regulated out the ass.

Just my idle thoughts on this tech.

^^^ Nailed it!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 30, 2018 at 8:28 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I have no idea what any of that means.  Thank you.

Boru

Anything in particular or just in general? Big Grin
I'm with you, Old Pollock. If I wanted my fridge to call me and tell me what to pick up on the way home, it better only tell me beer. Tongue  On a more serious note, this invasive tech has gotten completely out of hand. I had to go to great lengths to muzzle Cortana, and I'm not sure that I succeeded entirely. Also, it seems like the bitch gets activated after updates, and I have to go back in and tweak her again. Same with iTunes. I only use it to enable my purchased music.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(June 30, 2018 at 10:33 am)Fireball Wrote: I'm with you, Old Pollock. If I wanted my fridge to call me and tell me what to pick up on the way home, it better only tell me beer. Tongue  On a more serious note, this invasive tech has gotten completely out of hand. I had to go to great lengths to muzzle Cortana, and I'm not sure that I succeeded entirely. Also, it seems like the bitch gets activated after updates, and I have to go back in and tweak her again. Same with iTunes. I only use it to enable my purchased music.

Windoze 10 sucks dupa.

(June 30, 2018 at 8:36 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it! "

Yes.
Yes we do!
(June 30, 2018 at 1:39 pm)oldpollock Wrote:
(June 30, 2018 at 10:33 am)Fireball Wrote: I'm with you, Old Pollock. If I wanted my fridge to call me and tell me what to pick up on the way home, it better only tell me beer. Tongue  On a more serious note, this invasive tech has gotten completely out of hand. I had to go to great lengths to muzzle Cortana, and I'm not sure that I succeeded entirely. Also, it seems like the bitch gets activated after updates, and I have to go back in and tweak her again. Same with iTunes. I only use it to enable my purchased music.

Windoze 10 sucks dupa.

(June 30, 2018 at 8:36 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it! "

Yes.
Yes we do!

I'm at a loss as to what I could use instead of W10. Seems like whatever its replacement might be would be more trouble, as I'd have to do some work on it, and I'm too old and lazy for that. And it ain't gonna be anything Apple.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(June 30, 2018 at 2:17 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(June 30, 2018 at 1:39 pm)oldpollock Wrote: Windoze 10 sucks dupa.

Yes.
Yes we do!

I'm at a loss as to what I could use instead of W10. Seems like whatever its replacement might be would be more trouble, as I'd have to do some work on it, and I'm too old and lazy for that. And it ain't gonna be anything Apple.

There are a multitude of flavors of Linux but there will be a learning curve because it may look like windoze however it ain't windoze. Also if you're tied to M$ programs because of say work then getting them to play nice with Linux will be difficult if not impossible. I like Suse Linux but I don't use it much because of my work. If you're comfortable with computers you can always dual boot windoze and some flavor of Linux. I've had as many as 7 OSes on my computer at one time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There Was A Time When I'd Have Thought This was Impossible Minimalist 10 1248 March 15, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1