Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There Was A Time When I'd Have Thought This was Impossible
There Was A Time When I'd Have Thought This was Impossible
but the Justice Department is starting to make Apple look like heroes with their heavy-handed bullshit.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/03/justice-...urce-code/

Quote:Justice Dept. suggests willingness to escalate fight with Apple by demanding ‘source code’

Quote:In what observers of the case called a carefully calibrated threat, the U.S. Justice Department last week suggested that it would be willing to demand that Apple turn over the “source code” that underlies its products as well as the so-called “signing key” that validates software as coming from Apple.

Together, those two things would give the government the power to develop its own spying software and trick any iPhone into installing it. Eventually, anyone using an Apple device would be unable to tell whether they were using the real thing or a version that had been altered by officials to be used as a spy tool.

Quote:But many people expect the iPhone matter to reach the U.S. Supreme Court, and thus even fallback legal strategies are drawing close scrutiny.

The amusing thing about this last bit is that by the time a case reaches the SC and a decision is reached there will be have five more operating systems deployed.
RE: There Was A Time When I'd Have Thought This was Impossible
I'm not a fan of Apple, especially as a lifestyle brand, but they are 100% correct in this matter. The Feds are trying to do two things:

1. Create legal precedent to weaken privacy via encryption for all
2. Force Apple (and other companies in time) to do the heavy lifting when it comes to making new surveillance tools

And in combination with this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...terrorism/

We're on the verge of a pretty distopian police state, especially if people like Trump and others of his ilk gain real power. Things are already shitty now, especially if you're a person of color or activist. It has the potential of getting a whole lot worse.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
It's my understanding the first thing the guvmint investigators did with that phone fucked it up further than it was. Then why would we trust such cretins with even more technology, and why don't they know they don't know what they're doing ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The government has had the capability to spy on people for a long time, and the phones have not been hindering them at all at least through echelon and the NSA. This whole uproar with apple is to get the public used to the idea that they can spy on the people. They can already tap in. They hire the best hackers, so for them to say they need for apple to open the phones is just a false perception to make us think they can't already do what they have been doing for years. It's meant for us to accept that they have the right to look at everything we are doing. Technology is way beyond what the average person thinks.
They can, if they wanted to, look into the metadata of the things you do over any ISP.

They cannot, as of yet, take your physical phone and unlock it to investigate the files/materials you keep on your phone if it is encrypted. That's what this is about. Our government (then China and Russia) wants Apple to create a back door with a key, and then let the government have the key. If this key is made, then the entire world will know about it from the high profile nature of this case.

The information that can be gained from these terrorist phones is not as important as the data security for everyone else. Not even close.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Tinffoil hattery aside...

What's the legal way of saying, "No, go hump a cactus.". Apple's going to ride that pony to the USSC. How many billions in cash do they have on the books? They can afford it and I don't think there is any way they're lying down for this.
As much as I hate Apple, I am totally on board with them and this. The domino effect of a legal precedent is catastrophic.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 15, 2016 at 2:27 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: As much as I hate Apple, I am totally on board with them and this. The domino effect of a legal precedent is catastrophic.

Same here.  I am not a fan.   That asude, I'd donate to the legal defense fund if not for the fact that they really, really don't need it.  Tongue
A large proportion of American right wingers as well as liberals should be on the same side here - the side of civil liberties and less governmental power to spy on citizens. The authoritarians on both sides should be in the minority, no?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

You'd think so. You'd hope so - but I fear it is no longer so.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IoT: Your thought and views oldpollock 41 2561 July 12, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: bennyboy