Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Health benefits of moderate drinking
Health benefits of moderate drinking
I've read a lot of articles that claim that people who drink alcohol (particularly red wine) in moderation have a lower risk of heart disease, certain types of cancer, diabetes, depression and Alzheimer's disease. So, I started drinking a glass of red wine every day a few months ago. 

Do you guys drink? If so, what kind of alcohol and how much? Given the preponderance of evidence of the health benefits of moderate drinking, I think people who abstain from alcohol need to have good reasons for doing so.

Cheers! Cheers!
RE: Health benefits of moderate drinking
I've read similar studies.

That convinced me to start drinking again.

Wait, "moderation"?

😊
Dying to live, living to die.
The way I see it published-

1. If you never drank, don't start
2. If you have been drinking, limit it to two a day
3. If you drink more than that, stop it before your liver crawls up your throat and bitch slaps you

OK, I made the last one up, but it makes sense, except about your liver crawling up your throat. It actually sits down there and sulks, and starts sending out enzymes to alert your MD. It will eventually stop sulking and dissolve in the alcohol, at which point you will die, without a transplant. And if you aren't David Crosby, you''re gonna die anyway. You're welcome. Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
"Do you guys drink?"
Yes.

"what kind of alcohol"
Whatever's available.

"and how much?"
All of it.

"moderate drinking"
What's that?!?

[Image: beercheer.gif]

[Image: All_Your_Beer.gif]

Angel

Big Grin
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 13, 2018 at 11:43 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I've read a lot of articles that claim that people who drink alcohol (particularly red wine) in moderation have a lower risk of heart disease, certain types of cancer, diabetes, depression and Alzheimer's disease. So, I started drinking a glass of red wine every day a few months ago. 

Sounds like bullsh*t to me.

(July 13, 2018 at 11:43 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: Do you guys drink? If so, what kind of alcohol and how much? Given the preponderance of evidence of the health benefits of moderate drinking, I think people who abstain from alcohol need to have good reasons for doing so.

Yeah - like, maybe - a medical condition?
I don't know about any studies regarding particular diseases, or types of alcohol (if you have some links handy - I'd love to see them), but there have been studies which might have suggested, that people who drink in moderation on average live longer, than those who don't drink at all. Incidentally, similar kind of studies seems to conclude, that overweight people live longer than slim ones. So, go and have a few Big Macs a day, why don't you?

The trouble with those studies - the way I understand it - is that they are not controlled clinical experiments, but are based on pre-existing, limited and largely self-reported medical data. What they don't seem to take into account is that many people, who abstain from alcohol, do so because they have a medical problem, which may shorten their lives - many are "dry" alcoholics, who already damaged their bodies and took years off theirs. Similarly - many people who are skinny, are skinny because of some sort of condition (possibly not diagnosed), or simply because they have stressful, hectic lifestyles. 

I don't think those studies control for those factors. I doubt they control for the way people drink either - those who drink have a lot more opportunities for social interaction, at least in the places where alcohol is popular and legal, which is most of the world. Non-drinkers don't tend to have a good time around drunk people, I think (I didn't when I was a non-drinker, but then - I still don't, even when I'm drunk), especially aforementioned alcoholics. 

I doubt alcohol has much of a positive effect in itself. But it can help people relax, as well as self-medicate certain mental issues and is widely used as a social lubricant. And sure - I imagine those of us, who can take the edge off the daily stress and those who have a healthy social life will live longer. Even if they slowly poison themselves with Satan's p*ss.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I don't drink anymore and I can't help but think that those of you who do are a bunch of sheep.
So no thanks, I'll just stick with my coffee and cigarettes.
Actually, I did have quite a few drinks recently and some marijuana but that was a one off.

Oh, who am I kidding, baaaa.

I was 20 years in the USN. Feast or famine when it came to drinking. Zero at sea (self-imposed, there's ways around) and when we hit port there were the local ready to help us restore all of money to circulation.

Now, 2 per day, tops, unless there's some kind of function I'm attending. A few parties are "give Boss Lady my keys" affairs.
I used to only be able to do extremes.  Just drinking a lot of spirits and getting smashed.  Or drinking absolutely nothing.  These days I drink around 5 days a year.  I eat pretty good, exercise pretty good.  I can't imagine when I die it'll be because I didn't drink enough alcohol or whatever, or that drinking a bit will help me in the gym in some way.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Interestingly, some people can drink a whole lot and never have it affect their livers. Those are the lucky ones.

Also, it's currently 9:30am and I'm drinking alcohol.
Keith Richards!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need mental and drug health resources Won2blv 5 540 March 26, 2022 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Grandfather in poor health Tomatoshadow2 15 955 July 25, 2021 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2