Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Arthur & historicity of fictional people
King Arthur & historicity of fictional people
Professor Dorsey Armstrong is a very smart person but it's hard not to see that she is being ridiculous on how she reasons real King Arthur actually existed, you can listen to her

She says that she believes that King Arthur was a real person but he wasn't called Arthur, he certainly wasn't a king, he didn't live in Camelot and Avalon around round table, he didn't have a shiny armor, he didn't have twelve knights and Merlin (to which she says were all made up) I mean what kind of an oxymoron is that? She even says that most historians consider King Arthur to be just a fantasy.

So by her logic you can make any fictional person could have existed, like Conan The Barbarian: he was based on Hercules and did Hercules really exist? Well, he did, but he wasn't called Hercules and he was not son of a god and he did not have superhuman strength and he did non meet Atlas and held heavens, he certainly did not kill Hydra, but rather there was some guy in ancient Greece who was very strong and brave. So some guy existed on which Hercules was based on and then Conan was based on Hercules and ditto Conan The Barbarian existed.

I mean one thing is when you have some legends around real people like Lincoln and his cherry tree, but the other is when somebody is completely made up.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: King Arthur & historicity of fictional people
(July 19, 2018 at 8:54 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:  a real person but he wasn't called Arthur, he certainly wasn't a king, he didn't live in Camelot and Avalon around round table, he didn't have a shiny armor, he didn't have twelve knights and Merlin 

........and this reminds me rather of our lord jesus.  Wink

The strength of these pseudo-historical or legendary characters.....culturally and narratively, all of them, is how many analogs can be projected onto them. They are everymen. One simply adds up known historical referents until one has what they feel to be a full bodied spring of source material, and then assumes that the authors of the character had those people in mind.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If you strip King Arthur of all those things? Is he really King Arthur or just some dude? Same with Jesus.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
The idea..is that these characters can be based upon some historical figure that personifies the age.  A legendary hero-as-zeitgeist hardly requires the man, however.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
You don't have to go back that far for examples of people believing utter bullshit.

In Chapter 6 of "On The Historicity of Jesus" Richard Carrier writes:

Quote:In 1945 Betty Crocker was rated in a national survey as the second most admired woman in America, and to this day a street is named after her in Golden Valley, Minnesota, where she still lives. Her father was William Crocker, a successful corporate executive in the food industry, and she started her career answering letters on cooking questions for her father's company, then acquired her own national radio show where she delivered cooking advice for twenty-four years. Later she had her own television show, while making appearances on other TV shows and in TV commercials to promote her products. I've seen actual video tapes of her cooking and speaking, and her picture still adorns various General Mills baking products. She has also published several cookbooks, and now has her own Website. All that is 100 percent true. And yet she doesn't exist. She was never born, never lived, never spoke, never appeared on TV, and never wrote a word. Others simply wrote or appeared in her name. Welcome to the world of the mythical corporate mascot.

I'm equally sure that there are morons who think that Ronald McDonald is a real clown, too!
I don't think he was real, but I do enjoy Bernard Cornwell's "historical" fictions regarding Arthur. More entertaining than the original tale.
Reminds me of a professor I had in classical history who told the class - in all seriousness - that The Iliad wasn't written by Homer, but by another Greek of the same name.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
William Tell:  Bullshit too.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/i...l-2198511/

Quote:There is just one small problem: many historians doubt that Tell ever made those two famous arrow shots in 1307, and many are convinced that no such person as William Tell ever existed.
For one thing, his story wasn’t set down fully until 1569- 70, some 250 years after the events it describes, by historian Aegidius Tschudi, who, among other things, got his dates wrong.

Quote:Also in the mid-18th century, a Bernese scholar named Gottlieb de Haller read, in an old history of Denmark, a tale involving King Harald Bluetooth, who reigned from 936 to 987, and a Viking chieftain named Toko. One drunken evening Toko boasted that he could do anything with his bow and arrow; he could even shoot an apple off a pike at the other end of the hall. “Good,” said the king. “I will now place an apple on the head of your little son and you will shoot it off.” There was no arguing with a king, so Toko took up his weapon, told the boy to look the other way and shot off the apple. When the king inquired why he had two more arrows inside his vest, Toko replied, “To kill you, sire, had I killed my son.”

People love bullshit.
Bullshit is more entertaining than human shit.
(July 19, 2018 at 12:45 pm)Shell B Wrote: Bullshit is more entertaining than human shit.

Indeed it is, my dear.  Hence, "jesus."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Today In History: The North King Street Massacre BrianSoddingBoru4 9 1196 April 28, 2019 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists Supported Martin Luther King Jr. Brian37 0 1020 January 19, 2015 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Brian37