Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the definition of romantic love?
What is the definition of romantic love?
I don't understand the definition of romantic love. Does it even exist? I know what sexual attraction is and I know you can feel it towards people you don't have a strong bond with. You can even have the desire have romantic, but not (exclusively) sexual, interaction with a certain person you don't have a bond with.
From what I've heard, in order to have a healthy romantic relashionship with someone, you need to know that person very well, get along with them, like their personality and spending time with them, accept the deffects you consider they have and care for eachoder. Aren't those criterias for a friendship? Romantical and sexual attraction are considered two separate things. Is romantic love a strong friendship with the desire to have romantic contact, but not necessarily sexual? 
What about romantic contact? French kissing for instance. Is it something strict culturally or have we humans evolved into showing a certain kind of love with this practice? Is the desire to live with someone a romantic act? Other things such as  non french kissing, hugging and cuddling aren't always considered romantic. 
Does romantic love truly exist?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: What is the definition of romantic love?
The only definition for romantic love is the one your wife uses.
<insert profound quote here>
I'm not even sure I can come close to defining love, let alone romance love.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 24, 2018 at 2:17 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote:  
Does romantic love truly exist?

It is something you fool your mind into accepting, much like happiness and god.
Romantic love is a construct, like race or money. It's what you make it to be.

-Teresa
Romantic love is the kind they yammer on about in chick flicks.

Guys call it boring.
Where you wait for the second date before sticking it in?
Dying to live, living to die.
Romantic love means you haven't been with the person long enough to see him/her fart, scratch their arse or pick their nose in public.

And if you're still with them after that, then it's true love. (and you've compromised your life. aka marriage)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 24, 2018 at 11:00 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Romantic love means you haven't been with the person long enough to see him/her fart, scratch their arse or pick their nose in public.

And if you're still with them after that, then it's true love. (and you've compromised your life. aka marriage)

A good policy for life is to scratch someone else’s arse, pick someone else’s nose and, in extreme circumstances, shit someone else’s pants.
Dying to live, living to die.
Eeew!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.