Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMD RYZEN 5 1600 Temperature
AMD RYZEN 5 1600 Temperature
Hello everyone, I'm planning on building my second desktop for the sole purpose of being able to have a fully functional Linux streaming system. (https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund...bo.3580519). I'm aware of the DRM problem with Linux DRM for Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, and other services, I've tested a few types of distros in a VM with a full GTX 1080 and was able to get Netflix and Hulu working. What I'm seeking advise for is the AMD RYZEN 5 1600 temperature issues. The case I'm buying already has three fans already pre installed. I've never really worked with AMD based processors before, so will I need a liquid cooler to keep this processer sufficiently cooled? Has well will the onboard graphics of this motherboard be able to pump fluent 1080p video without having video issues, or will I need put a GPU inside this build to balance the encoding?

If anyone wants to see the parts I'm planning I will post them upon request.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

RE: AMD RYZEN 5 1600 Temperature
I just got a Ryzen 5 2600 from Ibuypower.  I got the liquid cooling system. 

No problems.
I'm running a ryzen as well, also with liquid cooling, but it's more because I got a great deal on the cooler than because the ryzen really needs it. AMD hasn't pushed the clocks on these processors far enough to require liquid cooling yet.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Ibuypower includes liquid cooling in their packages that you then customize.  On the day I ordered they were offering a free 2 TB secondary hard drive.  WTH, I took it!  Turned out to be a Western Digital.
(August 1, 2018 at 11:15 am)Minimalist Wrote: Ibuypower includes liquid cooling in their packages that you then customize.  On the day I ordered they were offering a free 2 TB secondary hard drive.  WTH, I took it!  Turned out to be a Western Digital.

You make that sound like it's a bad thing. I've always prefer hard drives from WD.

Interesting to read that Ryzen has an FPU for each core. I was interested in getting an AMD before but then found out each pair of cores shared the same FPU and it put me right off. I need as many cores as I get but my experiments are mainly performing floating point calculations so it wouldn't have bought me anything.
LOL.  No.  As a freebee toss-in I was expecting "Joe's Hard Drive!"  I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a WD.
I gotta say. . . I don't think i'm ever going to purchase a hard drive again, at any price. I might not even install a free one.

For functional stuff, I have a 256GB M2 SSD, which is like 6x faster than the old SSDs; this means from an unplugged power-off state, I can start into Windows 10 in about 10 seconds. For primary storage, there are so many free or cheap online options, and Microsoft will backup and maintain their hardware much better than I can maintain my own.

I have to say, I'm guessing that in Korea, which has true gigabit internet, I could probably even run actual software from a cloud drive.
(July 31, 2018 at 4:41 pm)Sterben Wrote: Hello everyone, I'm planning on building my second desktop for the sole purpose of being able to have a fully functional Linux streaming system. (https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund...bo.3580519). I'm aware of the DRM problem with Linux DRM for Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, and other services, I've tested a few types of distros in a VM with a full GTX 1080 and was able to get Netflix and Hulu working. What I'm seeking advise for is the AMD RYZEN 5 1600 temperature issues. The case I'm buying already has three fans already pre installed. I've never really worked with AMD based processors before, so will I need a liquid cooler to keep this processer sufficiently cooled? Has well will the onboard graphics of this motherboard be able to pump fluent 1080p video without having video issues, or will I need put a GPU inside this build to balance the encoding?

If you have issues with the cooling system, you can try exfoliating the ventral higgs wave generator. Before you do, make sure to reroute power through the electron wave spinner. If this doesn't work, you can try installing an oscillation damper on the ventral multi-spatial grid sensor, but - and I cannot stress this enough - only if there is < 0.5 magnetic variance in the chroniton injector.

Best of luck.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 31, 2018 at 4:41 pm)Sterben Wrote: Hello everyone, I'm planning on building my second desktop for the sole purpose of being able to have a fully functional Linux streaming system. (https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund...bo.3580519). I'm aware of the DRM problem with Linux DRM for Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, and other services, I've tested a few types of distros in a VM with a full GTX 1080 and was able to get Netflix and Hulu working. What I'm seeking advise for is the AMD RYZEN 5 1600 temperature issues. The case I'm buying already has three fans already pre installed. I've never really worked with AMD based processors before, so will I need a liquid cooler to keep this processer sufficiently cooled? Has well will the onboard graphics of this motherboard be able to pump fluent 1080p video without having video issues, or will I need put a GPU inside this build to balance the encoding?

Why build that which you can buy?  I know that I might be "flamed" for this one, but CyperpowerPC and IBuyPower can allow you to customize your own build.
(August 6, 2018 at 11:43 am)Jehanne Wrote:

Why build that which you can buy?  I know that I might be "flamed" for this one, but CyperpowerPC and IBuyPower can allow you to customize your own build.

It's typically cheaper to build than to buy a customized rig. Their base models have almost no margins. They charge much more for the upgrades than it would cost you as the builder. On some cases, I've seen as high a 3x the price for ram and hard drives to upgrade. In one memorable case, a company was charging for and "upgraded" video card that had the exact same specs and was actually less expensive that the stock card.

On top of that, you get absolute control over what does and doesn't get pit in your rig. That's of no consequence to some, but it's very important to others.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beware Latest AMD Catalyst Driver AFTT47 13 5383 July 14, 2015 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: rado84