Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OP/ED Race and Military DRAFTS...
OP/ED Race and Military DRAFTS...
It is not really a sports opinion, but in that BOTH race and military service are competed over like draft picks in sports.

The GOP constantly and for far too long has sold military service as being pro christian and pro republican only. But when democrats point out service people like Kerry or the Tuskegee airmen, they flip out.

Our military is NOT a pro sports draft where there is a blind loyalty oath between the NFC AND AFC. It is not there to defend white Christian Republicans only. 

There is a very deep seeded BULLSHIT argument about our military that only republicans and only Christians know what it means to defend America. 

There is no party oath or religious oath to serve in the military. Our military has always been politically and religiously diverse as should be.

But if you listen only to the right, you'd think we were a republican theocracy where only they get to decide what it means to serve, where at best, non whites who serve are tokens as long as they are Christian, and not LGBT Christians or atheists.

I did not do what REPUBLICAN McCain did in serving. I did not do what the Tuskegee Airman did in serving. I did not do what DEMOCRAT Kerry did in serving. I did not do what my atheist friend BEN did in serving in WW2 Europe. I admit, I could not do what they did. I do not however, do what Trump does, and act like a badass knowing he wasn't brave enough to do it.

Service in the west isn't a religious or political oath. And if you don't serve that does not mean you don't value those who do. But it is not  game, like a draft in pro sports. 

War is not a game, and those who support service whom make it about religion or political party are NOT defending pluralism. You do not have to serve to know an pluralistic society is far better than an authoritarian state with a one party military, like Iran or North Korea.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prayer they say before the NASCAR race. Combanitorics 7 1095 December 13, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan