Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats In Your Oats
Whats In Your Oats
Surprise, it may be Roundup.

https://www.ewg.org/childrenshealth/glyp...3c3YOhKjs2

[Image: 51944caf56035be4b07b4bb91821ef4e--back-to-school-s.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Whats In Your Oats
 Preharvest intervals strike again.  

Consider this, if a person was using these products and following the prevalent guidelines for cereal grains for their children, they could be exceeding the safe limit of consumption by up to 7x daily.

Additionally...this, from the article..

Quote:How does glyphosate get into organic foods? It could come from glyphosate drifting from nearby fields of conventionally grown crops, or by cross-contamination during processing at a facility that also handles non-organic crops. Nature's Path explains:

While organic farming certifications prohibit the use of glyphosate, organic products do not always end up completely free of glyphosate residue. While this news may come as disappointing, it is not entirely surprising. Glyphosate use has skyrocketed in the past decade, and it maintains the ability to adhere to water and soil particles long enough to travel through the air or in a stream to nearby organic farms.
Well, yeah..sure..and also, they use roundup.  Rolleyes
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This is something we're probably not going to get away from. Pesticides are vital to food production, and there are always going to be cases where the pesticides are improperly applied, always going to be instances of contamination.  I'm not sure there's a solution.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The story is complicated in a way that the article doesn't make obvious.  As far as regulators are concerned, this isn't an instance of contamination because glyphosate is safe.  If it weren't..the solution would be to increase the pre harvest interval.  Cross contamination of products at processors happens, but nothing is done.  Organic fraud is the industry norm, not the exception.  

There are actual crimes involved in the above, but we don't have any real interest in enforcing the regs, so we don't provide adequate funding or manpower to do so.  Compounding that problem is that most people are unaware of the laws concerning pesticide use, handling, storage, and documentation.  It's not a coincidence that the flagship case against roundup isn't a farmer, but a school groundskeeper.  

So, getting away from things like this, specifically, well..we can do something about it, but we're probably too busy locking up stoners.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Increasing the pre-harvest interval also increases crop loss due to pests.  The higher the percentage of crop loss, the higher the price of the finished food (one of several reasons that organic foods tend to be pricey).

You're right, though - as herbicides go, glyphosate is one of the safer products available. It takes an awful lot of it to make you sick.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In this case, roundup isn't being used primarily to control pests (it's not a rr product) though obviously that's a knockoff effect.  It's being used so that they can get to market sooner and get a new crop in faster.

-If- big if...the presence of residue in final products is a concern, than this simply isn't an acceptable use of roundup regardless of it's ability to increase profit.

In the case of the organics, obviously, it's use is entirely inappropriate - and no amount of the organic industry blaming it on the processors competently sweeps that fraud under the rug - it's a thing everyone knows, but no one talks about.

I also think that people would be surprised at the disconnect between crop loss due to pests and the price of the final product, or..really, the disconnect between ag commodities and processed products in general. If the price of oats doubled, for example...it might make a whole can of quaker oats cost two or three more cents.

32 lbs of oats cost $2.50 (standard)....but the processors don't even pay that much for it.
Sorry, 'rr product'?

Boru
Roundup Ready. This case isn't one where they're spraying rr products with roundup. They're using it to effectively kill the crop, itself, faster. That's why there's residue on the finished products. It's intentional.

First to the market..first to the bank. It could be worth $2.58, instead of $2.50. That's the (potential) economic benefit of (potentially) giving kids cancer.
Ah.  Ta.

Boru
With the pressure for farmers to increase their farm size (and reduce their own numbers) in my area the use of Roundup to advance the harvest in some fields is a necessity. With the possibilities of weather delays during harvest, picking the final field in December isn't much fun. There is also the issue of deer predation on the corn.
The longer the corn sits in the field the more of it the deer eat. We are not compensated by the state for feeding deer despite the state regulating when they can be hunted. It's an actual tax on farmers, if you think about it. Also realize how annoying I find it that folks in town feed the damn things, increasing their numbers beyond what the town folk will support and the surplus come out here looking for food.

An additional benefit of Roundup is the nitrogen fertilizer used on the field is not wasted on weeds and can go to the actual crop. If I don't have to fertilize weeds, I can use less nitrogen. Less nitrogen = less nitrogen run off. I've previously noted on my farm at least, I usually have nitrogen limited yields every year, so I know in my operation at least, I am not using a speck more nitrogen than necessary, in fact, I could just increase until I don't see that effect and make more $$$, but I would definitely have more N runoff.

Also, weeds can harbor insects I don't want here, keep weeds under control with Roundup can translate to less pesticide use.

I'd also suggest in towns and cities, the population might be absorbing more Roundup from their next door neighbor spraying dandelions with Roundup and not even bothering to read the directions for use. BTW, not reading the directions and applying it incorrectly is a criminal act, on the farm here we are all aware of that. Does 1 person in 500 at Home Depot buying Roundup for their yard even know that ??

What happens to the Roundup on their yard that runs down the sewer grate ?? And how many grams do they waste that way compare to PPB in your Post Toasties ??

If someone wants to get their undies in a twist it might as well be a twist proportional to the actual relative risk and not in response to fear merchants hyperbole.

BTW, how can you tell which neighbor is spraying Roundup on their dandelions? Look for big circles of dead grass around each dandelion . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it.