Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver
Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver
I post these mainly because they are interesting, but also because they will shed a lot of light on particular discussions we've already engaged in.  I'm hoping our comments will be constrained to talking about the ideas in the videos, rather than going to a general political argument among ourselves (sorry about your thread about that book, robvalue).

My impressions so far are:
1)  Bret Weinstein is an extremely good moderator.
2)  Harris is clearly a much better debater than Peterson. (at least clearly to me, others had different opinions about that)
3)  We can really see Harris put Peterson to the task about some issues, particularly his difficulty (refusal?) in answering the God question
4)  We can also hear Peterson attempt to respond to the kinds of complaints people have made in these here forums, so we don't necessarily have to speculate on his motivations, his real meaning, and so on.
5)  This kind of long-format discussion between highly intellectual opponents is of an extremely high value.

RE: Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver
[Image: 2gua96.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Got thru the first 30 minutes. Started reaching for the ice pick.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Spoilers nobody won because that just talked past each other .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 29, 2018 at 8:30 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: Spoilers nobody won because that just talked past each other .

I disagree with that assessment.

Overall, I'd say that Harris pinned Peterson on a couple points.  My favorite line (talking about the resurrection):

1:52:45
"How about this for an answer-- almost certainly not."  That moment seemed quite incisive.

1:54:10
Weinstein decides to turn the debate back to a discussion of masturbation.
Harris: "The floor is yours!"

ROFLOL

Come on, man.  Am I the only one enjoying the high brow humor here?  Big Grin
What's the topic they are debating? I'm not a big fan of Sam Harris, and barely familiar with Jordan Peterson, although it's crazy how much I hear his name.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Found the videos on youtube.

Currently watching part 1 and Sam Harris is "winning" so far (IMO). The guy is hilarious.
(September 6, 2018 at 4:44 am)SaStrike Wrote: Found the videos on youtube.

Currently watching part 1 and Sam Harris is "winning" so far (IMO). The guy is hilarious.

I gotta say if it's an event judged for style, Harris is running circles around Peterson.  The level of wit is just too high. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 16813 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 334 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? Whateverist 901 68742 September 24, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Dennett throws down the gloves and pummels Sam Harris right in the gut Mudhammam 37 9499 March 18, 2014 at 11:56 am
Last Post: tor