Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
First of all I realize this isn't philosophy in the academic sense but we don't have a psychology section and I suppose this book fits in the lay sense of "philosophy of life".  Jordan B. Peterson practices and teaches psychotherapy and has been called the greatest Canadian intellectual since Marshal McLuhan.  (I don't have an opinion about that claim.)

So I finally got my turn to look this book over which came out this year (2018) after waiting through 8 people ahead of me with a hold on it at my local library.  This is not the sort of book I'm usually attracted to read.  And I don't intend to read it straight through or very thoroughly.  I actually thought I'd be ripping into it for being cheesy.  But I don't hate it.

Apparently it started as a response to a question online at Quora and originally included many more than 12 'rules'.  They really amount to something more like "12 points of advice for leading a satisfying life" and there is a chapter devoted to each one in the book.  Mostly I agree with him.

Some require more elaboration to see what he has in mind, but here are the twelve 'rules' if you're interested:

wiki Wrote:
  1. Stand up straight with your shoulders back

2. Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping

3. Make friends with people who want the best for you

4. Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today

5. Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them

6. Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world

7. Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)

8. Tell the truth – or, at least, don't lie

9. Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don't

10. Be precise in your speech

11. Do not bother children when they are skateboarding

12. Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

I'm not real gungho about this but if anyone else has looked it over or read about them and wish to discuss it, I can currently.  I've been reading a good bit in his chapter 8 on truth telling which I have to agree with.
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
I'm surprised Peterson was audacious enough to think he had condensed the essentials of all human life into 12 "rules". Normally, you shouldn't judge a book by its title alone, but in this case I make an exception.
They seem interesting in theory, but, then again, it would appear that Peterson falls afoul of #8 quite a bit, (notably, his infamous opposition to Bill C-16 being based on fundamentally wrong interpretations of the law), and #10 (so much vagueness). I'm willing to suspect that, in his new life as darling of the alt-right, he's flouted #9 quite a bit. I don't know enough about his personal life to review his stances on rules #1-7, 11-12.

Also, I don't think someone who sounds (and to a lesser extent looks) so much like Saul Goodman should be lecturing people about moral rectitude:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
These are the first and most recent interviews he did with Joe Rogan. They are quite interesting to listen to. Everything he does with JRE gets about 3 million views, which is about 10x more than most of Rogan's other guests.

Most of those are just common sense that I already knew and by which I already abide. The one about the cat, however, I've yet to encounter a stray that isn't skittish and doesn't run at the sight of people.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 9, 2018 at 9:35 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: They seem interesting in theory, but, then again, it would appear that Peterson falls afoul of #8 quite a bit, (notably, his infamous opposition to Bill C-16 being based on fundamentally wrong interpretations of the law), and #10 (so much vagueness). I'm willing to suspect that, in his new life as darling of the alt-right, he's flouted #9 quite a bit. I don't know enough about his personal life to review his stances on rules #1-7, 11-12.

Also, I don't think someone who sounds (and to a lesser extent looks) so much like Saul Goodman should be lecturing people about moral rectitude:

The alt-right might like him, because he argues very effectively against PC bullshit.  However, I wouldn't categorize him as alt-right or even as someone who feels any connection to the alt-right. In the last video I posted above, you can very clearly see how unbiased he is, at least in the position he chooses to take.

He speaks clearly against racism-- he says racists should be put in a box and put off to the side.
The he says the same thing about those who expect equality of outcome.

(August 9, 2018 at 9:41 pm)Kit Wrote: Most of those are just common sense that I already knew and by which I already abide.  The one about the cat, however, I've yet to encounter a stray that isn't skittish and doesn't run at the sight of people.

I think the point of the last two is that you don't really need 12 rules.
I heard about this recently on the revisionist history podcast.

Being a huge hockey fan, I really liked Gladwells one rule... Always pull the goalie. This is one of my favorite episodes for a number of other reasons.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/2...s-for-life
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Beccs laws...

1. All it takes is for one idiot to do something stupid and all the other idiots will follow.

2. If you can’t reason with them, bribe/blackmail them.

3. What Beccs giveth, Beccs can taketh away.

4. Everyone is flammable.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 9, 2018 at 9:42 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 9, 2018 at 9:35 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: They seem interesting in theory, but, then again, it would appear that Peterson falls afoul of #8 quite a bit, (notably, his infamous opposition to Bill C-16 being based on fundamentally wrong interpretations of the law), and #10 (so much vagueness). I'm willing to suspect that, in his new life as darling of the alt-right, he's flouted #9 quite a bit. I don't know enough about his personal life to review his stances on rules #1-7, 11-12.

The alt-right might like him, because he argues very effectively against PC bullshit.  However, I wouldn't categorize him as alt-right or even as someone who feels any connection to the alt-right.

I didn't necessarily say he was alt-right. I said he was one of their darlings. It's a shockingly wide net, and they have really low standards for who they accept as one of them.

He himself does not particularly like the alt-right, and I do agree with him on this point that the alt-right and the PC-left are fundamentally the same:

But he really hedges his bets about explaining why, exactly, they're bad, and his alt-right fans love him for it.

Really, if you want to look into critiques of PC culture, Kyle Kulinski does a damn good job of doing it and NOBODY mistakes him for a right-winger:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I wish we did have a psychology... well Mind... section here... I know there's Life Sciences etc but it's not the same; it would just be nice to bring together psychology, philosophy of mind/consciousness, meditation etc, and whatever this is Wink ...self-help/philosophy... into its own subforum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 17903 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 334 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 695 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15187 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4096 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1680 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9551 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus