Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument from pompousness?
Argument from pompousness?
Or it could be called an Argument from decency where person considers himself/ herself too "decent" (too Christian) to even acknowledge the argument in question.

Like when bishop Samuel Wilberforce dismissed Darwin's theory of evolution by saying to Thomas Huxley that he certainly didn't have grandparents as apes. Like something is shameful and too indecent to be true. And, indeed, Huxley was recorded of retorting: “[A] man has no reason to be ashamed of having an ape for his grandfather. If there were an ancestor whom I should feel shame in recalling, it would be a MAN, a man of restless and versatile intellect, who, not content with an success in his own sphere of activity, plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them by an aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions, and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.”

I mean have you noticed it, and similar situations? Or maybe it all falls under The Argument From Authority? Or does it fall under Ad hominem fallacy? Or is it indeed an Argument from pompousness?

Also Ken Ham is is so snobbishly against the idea that he is an ape that there are memes about it like:
[Image: HWLDwE6V_o.jpg]

And when a person "establishes" his pompous position like that, where he is this privileged, exalted and, if not, infallible person (frequently talks with god) then afterward what ever he/ she says is then a sermon which people should listen without the question, because he certainly doesn't question it.

I mean here is another example of what I'm talking about where I was browsing trough a book on flat Earth on Amazon which is all about the argument in which author claims he is too decent, too cleanly shaven, too Christian and too well dressed to be wrong, unlike those smelly pagan punks:

-first he writes about a subject he doesn't like with a tone total disgust
[Image: 5pV2M4K4_o.jpg]

-then he states that there is no evidence
[Image: KYLJgzAr_o.jpg]

-although there is evidence he doesn't pay attention to what that evidence says but is preoccupied with people around it and how it's all obviously too indecent and deviant for him to accept
[Image: rwdbMLt9_o.jpg]

-and then he settles the indecent deal and goes into persecution mode
[Image: Pk2mBfrC_o.jpg]

I'm sure plenty of people noticed this and yet I never heard it named or talked about, where religious people dismiss something because they deem it too "incident" to be true.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Argument from pompousness?
Yeah, I’ve heard such things before. I’d call it a type of deflection, and is clearly a sign that someone has no real argument to make.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Let's call it the Ape Shit fallacy...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I won't even dignify that with a reply.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
A reply in the form of flinging feces would be apropos . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 31, 2018 at 4:48 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Like when bishop Samuel Wilberforce dismissed Darwin's theory of evolution by saying to Thomas Huxley that he certainly didn't have grandparents as apes. Like something is shameful and too indecent to be true. And, indeed, Huxley was recorded of retorting: “[A] man has no reason to be ashamed of having an ape for his grandfather. If there were an ancestor whom I should feel shame in recalling, it would be a MAN, a man of restless and versatile intellect, who, not content with an success in his own sphere of activity, plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them by an aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions, and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.”

I mean have you noticed it, and similar situations? Or maybe it all falls under The Argument From Authority? Or does it fall under Ad hominem fallacy? Or is it indeed an Argument from pompousness?

I could see argument from authority. Or perhaps a red herring.
(August 31, 2018 at 4:48 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: [Image: HWLDwE6V_o.jpg]

I like this a lot but it would be even better if it turned him into that pompous, self-righteous know-it-all Dr. Sayers.

He makes 500K per year:

Answers in Genesis pays Ken Ham and family nearly $500,000 a year

Bill Nye is worth more, though:

Bill Nye net worth: $6.5 Million
As Ingersoll noted, preachers know little but believe a great deal.

Fuck 'em.